Smoke Grenade?

Rifleman

It appears to be either a smoke grenade or CS canister that someone painted over to hide it's lot number or what it is. The little cloth patches at the top give it awy as such.

Um.... an unmarked grenade? NOT A GOOD THING !!!!!!

My personal advice is to either A. Remove the paint until you can read the markings or B. turn it in for disposal.

A CS grenade can cause damage, especially if set off around someone who has asthma or other breathing issues.

Smoke grenades emit enough heat that they can cause a fire.

Whoever painted this thing over is a moron!

Smoke grenades of my generation had a large patch of tape across the bottom of them. Have these changed?

For those interested, here is an on-line version of a training manual for US Army hand grenades. It has has a warning about the smoke content of smoke grenades that I wasn't aware of, although most people would have enough sense to avoid breathing it in.

Gil, no linky

The warning is for the HC smoke, or white, it can do harm in large concentrations. Gil is correct though, I would get rid of it because without the bottom hole, it leads me to believe that it is CS. Hence, probably why it is painted over.

man I would love to have a CS grenade....well not over here right now, but that would be a lot of fun at annual training! I have a small CS that belonged to a prison I got from a gun show and was going to screw with my unit but never did.

I have seen some old used smoke and CS grenades that were refurbished to look original, but I don't know if this is one. The fuze could always be unscrewed to see if it's live and if there are any contents inside the body itself.

Did you get that with the cardboard shipping tube?

Mike

when i was in basic the ones they threw at use were round and grey, about the size of a softball, and had a red stripe

M25 I believe, it explodes, throwing pellets out. CS smoke grenades burn and put out CS smoke

The best way to check it to be sure if its smoke or CS is to go into your garage, place a piece of wood in the center of the floor. Place the grenade in the center of the wood. Make sure the garage door is shut tight as is the door to the house. Pull the pin step back and see what comes out!

Just a bit of old soldier humor.

Please don't really do this. I would turn it into the appriopriate authority to be disposed of. If this were to go off accidently in the house or car it would most certainly cause a trememdous fire. Even the CS grenade puts out a lot of heat.

My Girlfriend picked me up a really old CS grenade at a flea market. It still looks live but does not appear to be military. I will post pictures of it to see what you all think Could be an interesting topic.

Unscrew the fuze and take a look inside.. Here is a pic of my "party wrecker", like when your ex is having a New Years party in the house you bought! :lol: :think: .. I got it from an estate sale believe it or not in CA. .. :lol:

post-3273-1258603335.jpg

"Curb".... how quaint! Brand marketing at its best!

Even better...CAUTION: CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE! I suppose there is someone out there who would not know otherwise!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but isn't military CS in a stronger concentration than that used by law enforcement?

even if you painted over the lot number they can still go figure it out, if it is used in such a way that they want to. I was told that the FBI can still pull up a lot number from a scratched off cannister if they really want to. Not as easy as pulling up a sandd down gun serial number, but it is possible depending upon circumstances.

Yeah- throw a CS grenade in with some smoke when piling on a chopper for a hot extraction. Yeah, its fun. Until the guys you did it to catch you in a dark alley....

Wow what a first post. I didn't even take the time to go to the newb welcome center before I saw this. It has been my experience that except for the OD color this is exactly like the cs canisters that I had to stand next to and then Don my mask. Had to do that twice. Way worse than the stuff they stuck you in at boot camp. A smoke will come out of the bottom, I have poped off about 6 of those and CS comes out the top. But for some reason I seem to remember a phosphorus or even a frag in that configuation. Those I have no personal experience with but for some reason I remeber seeing them. Cool addition to your collection but it needs to be certified inert, but that maybe why it is painted, to hide the fact that it is inert. SMoke and CS will set a house on fire. Luckily we didn't do that and luckily the Gunny got called on it because we would have had to do it again if the FD hadn't called him on it. The first time he dropped it on the floor and when I saw the two little flames coming out the top I thought for sure we were going to burn up. At least he dropped the second one in a metal garbage can.

JimP

"Curb".... how quaint! Brand marketing at its best!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but isn't military CS in a stronger concentration than that used by law enforcement?

There is also a MORE SEVERE type of GAS know as THE KING OF ALL IRRITANTS (other than my Mother-In-Law) which is DM, and it will REALLY DO A NUMBER ON YOU if you happen to be on the "receiving" end of it.

As for the NASTINESS / PUCKER FACTOR on this jewel, I would rate it a "50" on a 1-10 SCALE and have personally only used TWO of them in 30 years of both my MILITARY/ LEO careers.

Here is a description out of one of my old operational manuals of just what you would be up against if you happen to "experience one" of these "ROLLING YOUR WAY"... ;)

" This irritant gas grenade is based on perhaps the most severe form of irritant gas, known as DM, and also contains CN. DM (also known as Adamsite), is a far more powerful irritant than CS or even CN; it straddles the line between irritants and damaging chemical agents, as it can be toxic and even lethal with too long an exposure. The M-6A1 grenade's cloud produces incapacitation unless the victim makes an Impossible: Constitution roll successfully; there is no panic roll, since the gas is instantly incapacitating without a successful Constitution roll. Incapacitation produces symptoms similar to irritant gas for the first minute; the next two minutes produce sneezing and coughing as well as irritant gas symptoms. These all increase in severity for another two minutes, and then severe headaches, sharp pain in the nose and chest, and nausea and violent vomiting join the symptoms. At this final stage, no further Constitution rolls are possible to allow the victim to continue or resume functioning, but an Easy: Constitution roll is required every further minute in the cloud to avoid taking one point of damage to the head and chest. Once removed from the cloud, Constitution rolls MUST BE MADE every ten minutes for the next 4 hours, or all the symptoms would begin anew. Once one such roll is made, the victim will suffer no further incapacitating effects, though some minor symptoms may remain as long as 12 hours. "

The Correctional Facility that I worked at actually had 10 of these on hand for Crowd Control, and our TAC TEAM OIC was the ONLY KNOWN "KEY HOLDER" for the Department, although we had an Emergency "911 KEY" (Bolt Cutters) to open the box where they were stored should "THE NEED" ever present itself.

All you would need to do is just SAY "DAMN" to a group of inmates, and things "instantly" stopped, just like "MOSES WALKING ON WATER"... :twothumbup:

Man, I STILL GET GOOSE BUMPS, just THINKING about those babies...

Adam :salute:

• 7 months later...
cabbell2006

OK this may be really dumb but can't you unscrew the fuse from the main body, usually the fuse has been used or clipped?