New camo pattern may blend in better in Afghanistan

ehrentitle

Here is an interesting article on the new Army Camo uniform published in the September 09 NCO Journal:

New camo pattern may blend in better in Afghanistan

By C. Todd Lopez

Army News Service

Servicemembers fighting in Afghanistan will soon see two new test camouflage patterns on the backs of fellow Soldiers.

In September, the Army began shipping uniforms with MultiCam and Universal Camouflage Pattern Delta to two yet-unnamed battalions that will serve rotations in Afghanistan — one pattern each. Additionally, the Army will provide ghillie suits in the MultiCam pattern to authorized units.

About 2,000 Soldiers in total will test the uniforms to see how effective the camouflage patterns are at providing concealment in the varying terrain of Afghanistan.

The Army will gather feedback from Soldiers wearing the uniforms and use that, along with other testing and evaluation, to make a decision on producing and fielding alternative uniforms, operational clothing and individual equipment to some units serving as part of Operation Enduring Freedom,

"I think we will make decisions in Afghanistan in the January time frame, and also we will have finished the picture study," said Col. William E. Cole, a project manager with Project Manager Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment.

Program Executive Office Soldier, the agency responsible for developing the uniforms, will additionally test the efficacy of several other camouflage patterns in Afghanistan, though those will not be handed out to Soldiers there.

"That will determine what other uniform options they could have in Afghanistan," Cole added. "So to the commanders in Afghanistan, we'll be able to show them the data and say here's what we found, different results in different areas with different uniforms — what would you like to do? And of course we will support the commanders."

Cole said after a decision is made about fielding an optional camouflage pattern to commanders, uniforms bearing that pattern could be available in a relatively short time.

"We'd start fielding the first units easily within six months of the decision," Cole said.

Were new uniforms to be introduced, Cole said, they would be the same as what Soldiers are already wearing — the ACU. It would only be the camouflage printed on the fabric that would change. The new uniforms would be an option for commanders

— something available if field conditions warranted it.

"As a material provider, I want to be responsive to the Soldiers I support," Cole said. "I want to give commanders options; I want to be responsive to Soldiers. That is what we were trying to do. We're working to give (them) more options."

The MultiCam pattern, one of the two to be issued in Afghanistan, is actually a commercial product and is somewhat similar to what was featured on the now discontinued Battle Dress Uniform. Universal Camouflage Pattern Delta is similar to what Soldiers are wearing now, with the addition of the color Coyote Brown.

Photos by C. Todd Lopez

Top: Col. William E. Cole, a project manager with Project Manager Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment, showcases a ghillie suit in the MultiCam camouflage pattern during a media event Sept. 16 at the Pentagon. Above left: Universal Camouflage Pattern Delta is one of two patterns that will be tried out in Afghanistan. Above right: The "MultiCam" camouflage pattern.

post-146-1257804096.jpg

It seems that the Army can't get the clue that the color "foilage green" isn't any color found in nature, just because they call it foilage green doesn't mean it's foilage green. That uniform is hideous and would be an embarrassment. Therefore, I think we know which one we will end up with.

I don't think anything we have now, or these new options are very good. I don't know why we dont go back to DCUs and the all khaki 2 piece flight suits. All I really want out of the deal is to put velcro wings on instead of that stupid pin on stuff I'm not allowed to wear anyways.

Mike

That's what happens when you get a computer to work out the laws of nature :thumbdown: 'Universal' camouflage that seems to be universally poor in all enviroments. Over here in Britian they haven't changed the camouflage pattern in nearly 20 years and it's not just because we can't afford it (O.K., it is mainly because we can't afford it) but they realised a long time ago that there will always be limits to the effectiveness of any camouflage pattern. No single pattern will do it all, the natural world is just too diverse so they keep it simple and concentrate on teaching men how to make best use of natural cover to do the job for them.

:crying: oh no,another new camo pattern....or maybe two....I had just finished to find for my collection the different ACUs and now I should start it over again....

Well.camos have gone a long way since the first attempts during WW2 (sprayed uniforms,USMC camos,"duck hunter" materials,ERDL-I think the one with green dominancy is one of the best pattern-BDUs.3-colors desert,six colors desert and now ACU.I am of course jocking when I say that a new pattern will give me headache and will make me start a new search.The most important issue is the safety of the enlisted people above all.

I remember when the first ACUs started to get in service there were already enlisted personel who were absolutely negative about it.And now it seems they prove right,since the Army will probably move to another pattern.

Am I right if I say that in the end it only proves that it is not possible to create a pattern that can fit in all the different world environment?

Maybe the Army could provide one standard BDU for all the personnel and one camo uniform to be distributed before the start of the operation according to the area of operation.But it would probably turn into a logistical nightmare I guess...even though I am talking about an Army capable of deploying a fully equipped brigade in any corner of the world in more or less 24-36 hours if I am not wrong.

ACU pattern sucks,but it is what it is;A camo uniform.

Sure "Multicam" is 1000 tomes better,but look at the price for a single pair of pants,let alone a complete uniform. at $365.00 for a complete uniform,I dont see it being either adopted,or in MCSS anytime soon. The price Crye charges is ridiculous,and I would really like to know where they get off charging what they do for clothing items.

Cost has gotten waaaaay out of control for ANYTHING in the military now-plate carriers to uniforms,people know soldier want it,and rape soldiers under the guise of "patriotism"..."we make our stuff blah,blah,blah, so our soldiers can have the best (insert item here)". Most uniform and equipment manufacturers should be ashamed-Blackhawk,Eagle,CRYE, Asolo,Patriot performance;all of 'em. I remember in the 80's,there were maybe 3 "custom" gear and uniform makers-how many are there now?!? I had a Paraclete RAV and paid $65.00 in 1989. It is now over $200.Blackhawk isnt worth the price,as their crap is made shoddy,and falls apart after weeks-I am not the only one with this claim-hardly anyone but koes who do not know better buy Blackhawk.

The Army has to balance cost and everything else. No uniform is going to be perfect. No camo pattern is going tpo work in EVERY enviorn.that is where the Army have it wrong. A MINIMUM of 2 different camo patterns are needed,and for what they got with the ACU,they could have done the same modifications to the BDU and DCU and had a better medium ground,with less money spent than with the new "jammies" we now are wearing.And... when changing camo,not just uniforms,but equipment-where the BIG money is at,will need to be changed and/or made in the "2nd" pattern camo as well-I dont see that happening as it is just too much to make and require solders to have rucks,body armor carriers,pouches ect in 2 patterns. They need to do like the USMC,(and like the Ranger Batts are doing ) and issue all equipment in a solid color. The USMC is using "Coyote" and the Ranger Rgt is using "Ranger/Smoke" green.

Luckily, USASOC has let the SOCPAC,SOCCENT and others keep BDU and DCU in the supply system,and SF units operating in those AO's are auth. to wear them as well. The Army needs to learn, if it aint broke,dont fix it. I see them dumping good money after bad into this ACU uniform,only to discover they do need 2 patterns,ACu isnt a fix-all, and BDU and DCU wil be authorized in Combat AO;s again.

Just what I think-I may be wrong. It is the cheapest and most expeditious solution. I guess we'll see.

hochiminhtrail

what a waist of tax payers money.How many more camo set will there be? If that would happend in germany, i think the army here would be bankrupt, in a heart beat.

Alex

what a waist of tax payers money.How many more camo set will there be? If that would happend in germany, i think the army here would be bankrupt, in a heart beat.

Alex

Not trying to derail, but in the US we just print more money. (=problem solved AMIRITE GUYS :rolleyes: )

Not trying to derail, but in the US we just print more money. (=problem solved AMIRITE GUYS :rolleyes: )

Or we could ask the Chinese what they think of a new camo since they seem to be financing much of what we're doing here anyhow. :pinch:

I agree with you guys, too expensive. The Marine Corps has their MARPAT uniforms down pretty good- better than ACUs. But what I also don't get are the new NWUs. I just wonder what uniform the Army will have when I join, who knows? :think:

I agree with you guys, too expensive. The Marine Corps has their MARPAT uniforms down pretty good- better than ACUs. But what I also don't get are the new NWUs. I just wonder what uniform the Army will have when I join, who knows? :think:

It will be blue, and made of wool.

O wait...

Anyone familiar with a pattern known as Mirage? I have seen the manufacturer's website and I was told that some people I work with would be evaluating it, but that has not come to fruition yet. Allegedly being considered for use in some AOs overseas as well as for federal LE in CONUS.

It will be blue, and made of wool.

O wait...

That's the dress uniform. :w00t: And if you want a GOOD uniform, pay extra for the wool - it looks SO much better than the polyester CRAP!

Whoever thought one camo pattern would cover the entire world - must have spent too much time behind a computer, and forgot about being in the field.

One man's opinion...

Steve

Camo isn't the problem. The fact that we have new rules of engagement is. We are back to the days of Vietnam when you have to request permission to fire. Only Officers can call in artillery or a bombing or straffing run. I got that from a Army officer and an ANGLICO Marine. Camo doesn't seem to be very effective against IEDs and suicide bombers either. We need more armed drones, better tactics, better and faster armored vehicles, less interference for the press and government officials, and a president that can make a decision one way or the other. Stop wasting money on uniforms and spend it on things that will really protect our troops.