Against my better judgement I tried to help....

pconrad02

So, I was browsing eBay, and I come across a listing for a WWII USAAF Aircrew enlistedman's uniform with wings ( this is my title not his) . The seller had completely misidentified the uniform, other than the two patches ( which is easy,'cause they have numbers on them) . Said it was a pilot, had aircrew wings, said due to the overseas bars the man had 28, yes twenty eight, years of service , stated the condition as excellent ( which is subjective I know) but I spotted several more moth holes than the one he pointed out. And, he had a Buy it Now of 500.00 (granted it had 2 pairs of pants :blink: ) . So figuring the guy was absolutely clueless as to what he had, and feeling altruistic , I sent the seller an email explaining the correct time regarding the overseas bars, the fact that he had aircrewman, not a pilot, and that a search of the WWII uniform category might be advisable when setting prices. And that the selling price, I my opinion was more around the $60 mark, for what was a fairly common set, as opposed to $500.00.

The result reminded me why this was against my better judgement. The seller sent me a response where he called me an idiot, told me to mind my own business, inferred that I was trying to rip him off (?) and that he would buy all the similar sets I had at $60 apiece (I wish I had a bunch, because I would surely take him up on that).

I won't respond, but I admit, I have learned my lesson, I will no longer try to help the clueless..... I just makes them mad :lol:

post-182-1257781151.jpg

Been there, done that and gave up for the same reason. I'll take care of my stuff and sellers like this can scratch their heads wondering why they can't sell their item for such reasonable prices. :rolleyes:

I won't respond, but I admit, I have learned my lesson, I will no longer try to help the clueless..... I just makes them mad :lol:

There's nothing wrong with making them mad.

Been there, done that and gave up for the same reason. I'll take care of my stuff and sellers like this can scratch their heads wondering why they can't sell their item for such reasonable prices. :rolleyes:

Spot on. :thumbsup: I have had my fair share of trying to straighten sellers out about the items they are selling, but always receive the cold boot. Thus the reason I don't waste my time anymore trying to correct them. I figure they are better off not selling their items because of poor intellect. :lol:

- Jeff

...that he would buy all the similar sets I had at $60 apiece (I wish I had a bunch, because I would surely take him up on that).

I've got some uniforms I'd like to sell, lets pool our uniforms together and take him up on his offer! hahaha

I've had similar experiences at antique shops and flea markets. With results like yours, I too decided to just keep my mouth shut and move on. Maybe they will eventually find a sucker to pay the big price for the stuff they are trying to pawn off on someone. With some of the stories concockted to go with the items they are selling, you wonder why they aren't out in Hollywood writting for the movies! :lol:

All,

I've done the same thing, with the same results. So, since, I'm getting older, and don't know how many breaths I have left, I've decided not to waste them on idiots. Clearly, the person that want's to sell this for $500 falls into that category. Then again, by trying to help them, what you did falls into the category of "No good deed goes unpunished" LOL Shame that some of these people reproduce sometimes.

John

Same thing happened to me on craigslist. A woman was selling a 2ID-patched 4-pocket EM jacket. No ribbons, no name, may not have had brass either. The price was $300. Why? Well, because it was a WWII USMC dress uniform that is "quite rare." SO I sent her a nice email explaining what it was, and with pics of what USMC unifoms look like. She, fairly politely, I guess, explained I was wrong as some Marines at Camp Perry (are there many Marines at Army National Guard bases?) told her it was USMC. Whatever...

I've had similar experiences at antique shops and flea markets. With results like yours, I too decided to just keep my mouth shut and move on. Maybe they will eventually find a sucker to pay the big price for the stuff they are trying to pawn off on someone. With some of the stories concockted to go with the items they are selling, you wonder why they aren't out in Hollywood writting for the movies! :lol:

I have had the same expeiances as Lee has for the 40 odd years I have collected.Both with antique dealers,gunshow vendors etc.When I was a kid they would dismiss you as "you are not old enough" to know etc.Got to the point the guys collectinc Civil and Indian War couldnt find stuff at the shows and would star buying up the other military just to sell and always came to ask me if it was WW1WW2, etc :blink: But I was just a kid :think:

I love to watch the antique dealers and the instant ebay sellers at auctions.They always pay way over a sensible price for common military items and not even close to something rare or uncommon.Last auction I was at this lady(who was buying everything) paid over $100 for a WW2 record player in the case.It wasnt in that great of shape,metal parts were rusty,the mechanism was sticky and you would have to assit the turn table to spin,all being covered in mouse pi-s-s.Then a Span Am era canteen comes up and I get it for $20.I love these people. :rolleyes:

I dont even bother with trying to explain to these types or waste my time contacting ebay sellers.Last guy at an auction who I saw pay $50 for a plain WW2 overcoat stated "He was a dealer and I have a shop".I asked him how many he wanted to buy for $15 ea.He got a little nasty so I said I guess you better stick to buying glass and costume jewelry.

Guess its hard to argue with sheer genius

RD

I don't bother trying to correct anyone any more either.

The sellers always accuse you of either trying to rip 'em off because:

1) They really are clueless - They know they're ignorant and are afraid of being taken advantage of, so they're very defensive.

2) or, They know exactly what they have and are hopeful of the ignorant buyer. Which, when you try to correct them, they realize you are not, and so they just want you gone so you don't drive away the patsy they're hoping for.

If I'm interested in the item, I make 'em a fair offer and tell 'em to call me when they're ready to sell. If I'm at a gun / militaria / antique mall or show, I'll leave 'em a card with my cell number and a price and tell 'em to call me. With eBay sellers, I'll send 'em an offer and say to contact me with a "second chance offer" after the auction when they don't sell the item.

Then I just put it out of my mind. If the seller calls or contacts me, then fine. If not, too bad for him or her. They just missed a sure sell.

So, I was browsing eBay, and I come across a listing for a WWII USAAF Aircrew enlistedman's uniform with wings ( this is my title not his) . The seller had completely misidentified the uniform, other than the two patches ( which is easy,'cause they have numbers on them) . Said it was a pilot, had aircrew wings, said due to the overseas bars the man had 28, yes twenty eight, years of service , stated the condition as excellent ( which is subjective I know) but I spotted several more moth holes than the one he pointed out. And, he had a Buy it Now of 500.00 (granted it had 2 pairs of pants :blink: ) . So figuring the guy was absolutely clueless as to what he had, and feeling altruistic , I sent the seller an email explaining the correct time regarding the overseas bars, the fact that he had aircrewman, not a pilot, and that a search of the WWII uniform category might be advisable when setting prices. And that the selling price, I my opinion was more around the $60 mark, for what was a fairly common set, as opposed to $500.00.

The result reminded me why this was against my better judgement. The seller sent me a response where he called me an idiot, told me to mind my own business, inferred that I was trying to rip him off (?) and that he would buy all the similar sets I had at $60 apiece (I wish I had a bunch, because I would surely take him up on that).

All he needs now is another idiot to pay the $500!! Oh and there is a BEST OFFER option on it now so form an orderly queue!! :rolleyes:

Rob

"All he needs now is another idiot to pay the $500!! Oh and there is a BEST OFFER option on it now so form an orderly queue!! "

"So do we want to bombard the poor fellow with $60 offers?"

:hapy0004: be nice! That's why I didn't post the listing number, but I suppose there aren't that many 500.00 buy it now offers in uniforms.....

Salvage Sailor

In a Waikiki collectibles shop, I found a "WWII Combat Jacket" on a rack tagged on SALE! $155

I gently explained to the seller that it was a post-war Ike jacket with a period 5th Army left arm patch and that someone had added the blue bordered Corporal stripes. Got the usual reaction - "You're trying to rip me off! If you don't want to buy something, get out of my store!"

biting my tongue and spying a Vietnam era USN workjacket, patched, with a nice first class crow.....I said, ok, I'll take that.

"That old rag? Nobody wants it, you can have that for $5"

A fool and his treasures were soon parted.....

I don't bother trying to correct anyone any more either.

The sellers always accuse you of either trying to rip 'em off because:

1) They really are clueless - They know they're ignorant and are afraid of being taken advantage of, so they're very defensive.

SGM

Most times it all about greed and usually they will cut their own throat.Saw it in my own family.My mom sold my dads whole coin collection for $500.There were three shoe boxes full of silver Morgan,Liberties,dimes,Franklin and Kennedy halfs etc.Took the first offer.I was at work.She was proud of the sale and was bragging about it.I had enough and finally told her she got screwed and didnt even get dinner.The guy came all the way here from Omaha.One thing with coin dealers the old trick is to not offer more than $500 in most cases for collections.After he cherry picked it he told her nothing was worth more than face value and take the rest to the bank.Funny thing is I have two sisters and she never once offered it to anyone.I told her Why not sell it to the family as I would have glady given her the $500 to keep his collection together.Was thinking I could have given it to my nephew or his twins when they got old enough so the had something from their grandad/great gradfather.

Simple greed and greedy people are the easiest to cheat...ask a coin dealer.

RD

I too used to try to be helpful, but after awhile it became obvious there are more "experts" than there are those with common snense...and remember when dealing these types,

"Ignorance is bliss...fortunately, it's not painful"...

Mark sends

Amen to all of the above. I used to be a ringman at a local auction, grew up working there for a great auctioneer and fine man. As the years went by, I became the resident 'expert' on military 'stuff'. Well, the fine old gent retired and his business was passed on to a younger generation, who basically decided that I was a 'free service' to be used at will, (for no compensation, mind you), and that, finally, I didn't know what I was talking about, since they had ebay to use as a resource and it was obvious I was just trying to screw them over somehow.

I stopped trying to help people for all of the same reasons listed. A good collecting friend of mine also made a darn good point "We had to either learn, or 'buy', the information that we know in our heads, through experience and/or books....WHY are we giving it away for free?????"

While I think that helping out fellow collectors 'for free' is a good thing, I no longer bother with anyone else. Maybe that's wrong but that's just the way I feel nowadays.

Well, offer some German insignia directly given by the American soldier who .... eh ..... "collected" them and see what reactions you get ........... it even makes my stomache turn today!

That's one of the reasons you won't find me at militaria shows. :disgust: :pinch: :yucky:

Erwin

Good point Erwin,

Most things you see on ebay are "vet acquired." Basically anyone who has served at any time in any branch in any military is a vet.

The other scam as is pointed out in the reference section of this forum is the "I don't know anything about these types of items" listing. In other words, I know this is a fake and want you to buy it anyway. There are exceptions to this but they are few and far between.

Anyone want to buy a vet acquired, rare, original paratrooper prototype smock that I don't know anything about?! LOL!!! ;)