Captain-marked, Medical Officer M1, ID'ed Living Vet

Theorywolf

Theorywolf

This is my second M1 that crossed Omaha Beach around the same time as DiDominic with the 83rd Division, June 21, 1944.

Dr. Edwin's real last name will remain unknown because he is still alive and well in New York. So I am using his first name.

Dr. Edwin's father and mother were born in France and came to the U.S. at the turn of the 20th century. Edwin was born in New York City on Oct. 17, 1916. His father became a wealthy business man and also a well known writer of act plays for the Vaudeville circuits. Edwin graduated from Cornell University with a BA in 1939, and then attendeda graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1943. Edwin enter the Army at this time as a eye, ear, nose and throat surgeon. He met his life long (still living) wife as a Medical Student in 1943.

In June of 1944, he was on his way to England and on to France. Below is a photo of Edwin with the Officers of the 518th Medical Clearing Company (Special). Edwin told me that his company was an experimental group; an early type of MASH unit. His company crossed Omaha Beach around the 21st of June. He said that little was happening on the beach at that time. His unit was attached to the 9th infantry of the 2nd division. His first taste of war was at St. Lo. He expressed to me that "if a doctor today lost that many patients that they would be fired!" He said that he saw so many mangled young bodies, both U.S. and German soldiers. He told me that "the German soldiers were great fighters. I still have a lot of respect for them."

Dr. Edwin followed the path of the 2nd division thoughout the rest of the war--through the Bulge and into Germany. Check out the photo of him crossing the Rhine at Dussoldorf. He said, "Thanks to the A.A.F." He crossed in his jeep on a makeshift bridge.

Near cologne, He was made the head medical officer at Camp Etzel, a displaced person's camp. He said that the first day he was there, a german soldier was shot in the head near the main gate. "I saved his life by performing surgery right there on the floor of the main building. I had to get that bullet out of his head before he died." Check pic below of the inside back headstrap of the liner. There you see blood stains from his fingers as he would grab for his helmet.

At the end of the war, the 518th was in the South of France preparing for the invasion of Japan. One photo below shows some children in the area. He said that they were his little angles. Also, a pic of his company packed up and ready to ship out.

Dr. Edwin said that his ship was on its way when the war ended, with the dropping of the atomic bombs. "The guys on the ship were laying out there blankets and playing poker and happy as hell! I still had that helmet with me then. They turned that ship around and we were headed for home. We landed in Virginia."

I just spoke to Edwin this past week. After the war, he had a very distinguished career in Albany, for many years as a children's doctor and head of Pediatrics in his hospital. He also became a full professor of Medicine at the medical college. He retired in the past few years die to failing eye sight. He is nearly blind today. But, he is still very active and has a very positive attitude about life. I asked him if he wanted his helmet back. He asked how much I paid for it. When I told him, He told me to keep it! He said he would not give a nickle for an old pot!

Mike

post-576-1180579268.jpg

post-576-1180579295.jpg

post-576-1180579329.jpg

post-576-1180579349.jpg

Theorywolf

more pics. The sweatband in the liner is a replacement from me just for looks! Dr. Edwin read me his serial numbers on the phone! They were an exact match!

post-576-1180579420.jpg

post-576-1180579444.jpg

post-576-1180579501.jpg

post-576-1180579635.jpg

Theorywolf

His last name is behind the headstrap in the back in bold letters. His last name (being French) was the only family listed in the U.S. That was great luck for my search. I had this helmet ID'ed and I called the vet before I even got the helmet home from Ebay! The Captain marking on the liner is made with surgery tape.

post-576-1180579869.jpg

post-576-1180579909.jpg

Well Mike, this is another amazing treasure you show here. it's realy great you found the veteran and got the complete story.

Awesome helmet collection!

Yannick wink2.gif

Mike,

Great helmet, story, grouping, everything!! thumbsup.gif

Notice the brooch his wife is wearing in both photos. Is the one on her lapel the same as the one at her throat??

Thanks for sharing.

Fixbayonets!

I know where this helmet came from and I had the opportunity to inspect it "in hand" a few years ago. Indeed a very nice helmet.

Rob

Theorywolf

Hi Rob,

I've sent a PM for more information. So glad we connected on this helmet!

Mike

Darn!! I think you are right!! Great eye for detail there!!!

Mike

Theorywolf

Rob and I have been able to place this helmet's previous journey in the vet's home state of New York! Every bit of information counts!

Mike

Hi Rob,

I've sent a PM for more information. So glad we connected on this helmet!

Mike