Presidential automobile flag

roadrunner

This is a automobile flag used by the President of the United States.

A very nice handembroidered item.

Michael

post-8324-1257635675.jpg

post-8324-1257635689.jpg

This is a automobile flag used by the President of the United States.

A very nice handembroidered item.

Michael

Has it actually been flown on a Presidential automobile? If so, which President?

Ian

Has it actually been flown on a Presidential automobile? If so, which President?

Ian

As I was reading this thread, the exact same questions came to my mind. :lol:

All presidential flags are hand sewn at the Defense Supply Center Philadelphia. A single flag can take hundreds of hours to complete. For some reason this one doesn't appear to be of the same high quality normally seen in flags made by the DSCP.

I hate to say this but the close ups of the embroidery look very similar to Pakistani embroidery. Especially the thick chord embroidery thread you see in the lettering and outline of the scroll.

The fringe looks a bit weak as well.

I get this from a spanish auctioneer at a military show 10 years ago.

He had two of them, one he sold at his auction. He told me, that he

received this from a 80 year old person who worked for the President.(s)

That´s the only information I have about the item.

Michael

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

firefighter, I think you're absolutely correct. this flag is an imported knock-off unfortunately. I have done significant research on POTUS flags of all types, Army and Navy. Few of the thread colors are correct, for example the eagle should be multi shades of brown (not white since 1945) the olives on an authentic flag are olive green, not red. The E Pluribus Unum is black not gold, the talons are not green. The fringe on auto flags is alternating yellow and white, and the fringe surrounds the pole sleeve. The size looks a little off too, authentic auto flags are currently 12" x 18". The Philadelphia flag room hasn't made auto flags in decades. In the past 40+ years there have been several different contractor made flags including printed nylon flags by Annin, and the most modern flags made by AlphaSoft. The current flags are made of double thickness, machine sewn & embroidered heavyweight nylon. The fringe is sewn between the layers and they have some heavy duty stitching for reinforcement needed to survive the high speeds of the motorcade. These flags have small contract labels sewn into the pole sleeve with the description of the flag, NSN and contract numbers and the manufacturers name.

Here is a set from my collection, unissued flags from the Bush 43 era.

post-139458-0-00352300-1516860202_thumb.jpg

firefighter, I think you're absolutely correct. this flag is an imported knock-off unfortunately. I have done significant research on POTUS flags of all types, Army and Navy. Few of the thread colors are correct, for example the eagle should be multi shades of brown (not white since 1945) the olives on an authentic flag are olive green, not red. The E Pluribus Unum is black not gold, the talons are not green. The fringe on auto flags is alternating yellow and white, and the fringe surrounds the pole sleeve. The size looks a little off too, authentic auto flags are currently 12" x 18". The Philadelphia flag room hasn't made auto flags in decades. In the past 40+ years there have been several different contractor made flags including printed nylon flags by Annin, and the most modern flags made by AlphaSoft. The current flags are made of double thickness, machine sewn & embroidered heavyweight nylon. The fringe is sewn between the layers and they have some heavy duty stitching for reinforcement needed to survive the high speeds of the motorcade. These flags have small contract labels sewn into the pole sleeve with the description of the flag, NSN and contract numbers and the manufacturers name.

Here is a set from my collection, unissued flags from the Bush 43 era.

attachicon.gifIMG_4454.JPG

THank you for explaining the difference. Those are a great set of flags you have. Not my area of collecting but those are beautiful.