1908-1912 USMC Officer's cover emblem

Bob Hudson

Check out this recently completed ebay auction: click here.

For those who can't see completed ebay auctions, this was for what they call the "USMC 1904 "ELLIS" EAGLE GLOBE & ANCHOR EGA CAP DEVICE" - it sold for $998!

[img

ellis_emblem.jpg

YOU ARE KIDDING ME !!!!! 

$998 for an EGA...what makes it so special......... 

Greg /Guys time for a reference section on EGAs please ?

How can you tell a correct WW1 or WW2 EGA please

regards

Lloyd

Greg /Guys time for a reference section on EGAs please ?

How can you tell a correct WW1 or WW2 EGA please

regards

Lloyd

The forum is considering doing just that but it requires some good photos of EGA's with known dates and some info on why we know it's from a certain period. The devil is in the details since there are often subtle differences from one period to another. If you have questions about a particular EGA, post some large clear photos and we can figure out what it is and then maybe move that into a new thread for ID'ed EGA's.

The listing had a picture of a famous Marine and said it's like the one he wore in the photo: I wonder if the bidders thought it was THE one he wore?

It is a very nice looking EGA and in recent days I have spent many, many hours looking for EGA's references on the web and I must say that there is no much out there regarding EGA's and especially older ones so it may be that the older ones especially are quite rare, particularly officer's. There were eight different bidders abouve $250 for this one and six of them remained in the bidding above $500, so there clearly is some real demand for older EGA's.

I have a really nice enlisted WWI EGA on ebay right now and I am amazed at the interest in that. Ebay lets a seller see how many people have an item on their "watch" list. This item has been viewed, as of Thursday night, by 106 people and more than 20 percent of them are watching it. I have never had anything on ebay come close to that level of interest. The WWI enlisted cap EGA's - which have the copper tone and the latitude and longitude lines - can still be had under $60. Not surprisingly, most EGA sellers can only guess about the time period and you see a lot labeled ""WWI OR WWII," and in many cases they are neither. And then there is the one on right now that is labeled, "USN Navy Brass Eagle Globe Anchor Pin." It actually looks like a very cool EGA.

• 1 month later...

Here is one of my better finds. A good friend in Denver passed away from cancer several years ago, but before he became ill, he was a master yard sale "rooter". He found this M1904 "Ellis" emblem for $6.00 at a yard sale for me and as he always did, charged me double what he had to pay, so I was into this gorgeous "bird" for a whole $12.00, even after I told him what it was. He never bought anything for me over $20. at yard sales and a few of my better pieces were found in this way. He was a true friend!

You'll also notice that this 1904 "Ellis" is used in my avatar in remembrance of my friend George.

Gary

post-84-1167887266.jpg

post-84-1167887279.jpg

post-84-1167887291.jpg

• 4 months later...
Final hammer went down... 12 bids... $799.99

I thought this emblem would go for several hundred more dollars, so I wonder what's up with that? Is there a down trend in emblem prices?

Here is another of the same type that sold on eBay in 2002 for $898.88

post-84-1181072285.jpg

post-84-1181072307.jpg

And one from last year that sold for $998.88. I'm sure this is the emblem Mike Manifor mentioned in his auction as having reached almost $1000.. This type of cover emblem doesn't show up on auction all that often, so it really surprised me that the most current listing ended so cheaply? Someone really got a bargain! :unsure:

Gary

post-84-1181072629.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

I thought this emblem would go for several hundred more dollars, so I wonder what's up with that? Is there a down trend in emblem prices?

Here is another of the same type that sold on eBay in 2002 for $898.88

Gary, I do believe collector market is cyclic in nature, as is the market and housing. Have observed the trend you speak of in high end EGA's go soft just as the housing and refi markets have slowed.

So this is a perfect time to buy at the bottom end... in the past 6 months have seen allot of these high end - hard to come by not meet reserve, only to see them come back with lower reserve.

Would not surprise me to see this one or identical come back a year from now and fetch 1k or better.

• 3 weeks later...

An example from my collection. Of special interest is the different screwpost and roller nut found on my example. The screwpost on this emblem appears to be the original and is thinner than what is usually encountered on this pattern of emblem, so it would appear that different screwposts and rollers were used during the period of manufacture on this particular style of emblem.

post-84-1182818636.jpg

post-84-1182818649.jpg

post-84-1182818665.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

An example from my collection. Of special interest is the different screwpost and roller nut found on my example. The screwpost on this emblem appears to be the original and is thinner than what is usually encountered on this pattern of emblem, so it would appear that different screwposts and rollers were used during the period of manufacture on this particular style of emblem.

It is indeed an interesting variation, could it be they simply ran out of the post & rollers while producing this generation? I too have seen subtle and or difficult to detect elements of emblems.

You may see in another post today, perhaps we look at the question of "correct" rollers for EGA's. These is a very desirable emblem and rare pattern and on my list of "wants"... along w/ dozens of others...