USN Submarine Grouping...Medals & Pins etc..

mkgarms

I picked this up today. The last name is Piper. It's marked inside the hat.

Can anyone shed some light on the pins and medals? I can take more pics if needed.

Matt

DSC02312.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02318.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

I picked this up today. The last name is Piper. It's marked inside the hat.

Can anyone shed some light on the pins and medals? I can take more pics if needed.

Matt

DSC02312.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02318.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

OK, obviously, that is an American Legionaers hat. The first medal is a Legion Medal, Next, the anchor pin os for a US Navy Chief Petty Officer. Below that are the post 1950 Enlisted Submarine dolphins. Next is a US Navy Officers Garrison hat device, below that a set of officers Submarine Dolphins, and below that the garrison hat device for a LCDR (LT. Commander). After that is a Submarine combat patrol pin worn by both officers and enlisted with 5 patrol stars indicating that he was on 6 wartime combat submarine patrols.

The medals are from the front, US Navy Good Conduct w/3 stars indicating 16 years Enlisted Service, American Defense WW2 (I think), American Campaign WW2 (I think), Pacific Campaign w/ stars WW2, WW2 Victory, Navy Occupation Medal, Korean Service, unknown, UN Korean Service, and the loose one is a Meritorious Service Medal. Most likely got that at retirement. So, what you have is the AL hat of a man who served in the Navy durring WW2 and into Korea. He was a Submariner who participated on 6 war patrols. He had at least 16 years as an Enlisted man ataining the rate of Chief Petty Officer. He was then Commisssioned and rose to the rank of LCDR.

This was an impressive Sailor. Prior to 1958, CPO was the highest Enlisted Rate atainable. Into the 1950s-'60s, for an Enlistedman commissioning (most likely in a Navy program called "LDO (Limited Duty Officer)), LCDR was the highest Officer rank attainable. In the Navy, this Sailor was "Sombody".

Steve Hesson

I think the medal following the Occupation Medal is the National Defense Service Medal and following the Korean Service Medal is the Philippine Liberation Medal. The single medal with the blue, white and green colors is the Joint Service Commendation Medal.

Sorry to disagree Steve.

Larry

I think the medal following the Occupation Medal is the National Defense Service Medal and following the Korean Service Medal is the Philippine Liberation Medal. The single medal with the blue, white and green colors is the Joint Service Commendation Medal.

Sorry to disagree Steve.

Larry

not at all, that's cool. I totally missed the National defense altogether. and I should have put (I Think) after the last one too. I have a hard time remembering what my medals are. I found them the other day and couldn't remember what a couple were or why I got them. Guess they were really important to me. :think:

Steve Hesson

I'm having trouble locating history on this group. Does this mean anything (look below)?

RM 1/C 55

Piper

It is on the back of the Submarine combat patrol pin.

Matt

How about this guy??

SILAS R PIPER 11 Nov 1922 09 Jan 2009 (V) 15417 (Brownsville, Fayette, PA) (none specified) 195-18-9228 Pennsylvania

How about this guy??

SILAS R PIPER 11 Nov 1922 09 Jan 2009 (V) 15417 (Brownsville, Fayette, PA) (none specified) 195-18-9228 Pennsylvania

Not sure on this one??

Silas R. Piper

Brownsville resident

Silas R. Piper, 86, of Brownsville, died Friday, January 9, 2009. There will be no visitation or services. Arrangements are being handled by Lesako Funeral Home Inc., Carmichaels.

How about this guy??

Unfortunately, Silas R. Piper, DOB 11 Nov 22 joined the Army in 1943...still trying to look this guy up...maybe he was Silas' brother?

Dave

Piper is apparently a common name, especially for submarine veterans... :blink:

CARVER -James Charles Piper Jr., 83, of Carver died Sunday at home.

He was the editor, founder, and publisher of the Burlington Post, Burlington's first newspaper.

He was a Navy veteran of World War II and honorably discharged as a radioman first class. He served as state commander for Submarine Veterans of Massachusetts from 1965 to 1968.

Mr. Piper was president of Piper Boys Construction Co. in Burlington, as well as a salesman for Metropolitan Life Insurance.

He also worked for Piper Real Estate in Billerica, and later did maintenance at Cranberry Village in Carver.

Mr. Piper was born in ...

Piper is apparently a common name, especially for submarine veterans... :blink:

CARVER -James Charles Piper Jr., 83, of Carver died Sunday at home.

He was the editor, founder, and publisher of the Burlington Post, Burlington's first newspaper.

He was a Navy veteran of World War II and honorably discharged as a radioman first class. He served as state commander for Submarine Veterans of Massachusetts from 1965 to 1968.

Mr. Piper was president of Piper Boys Construction Co. in Burlington, as well as a salesman for Metropolitan Life Insurance.

He also worked for Piper Real Estate in Billerica, and later did maintenance at Cranberry Village in Carver.

Mr. Piper was born in ...

I'm going with Silas Piper since he was from Browonsville like the hat. James Piper, was discharged as a First Class RM, would not have CPO nor officer insignia on his hat. Nor would he have 16 years worth of Good Conduct medals, National Defense or Korean service medals. Sounds liek Silas died in a nursing home with no family. Great historic group from a man who "Was Somebody" in his day. Fair Winds and Following Seas Silas.

Steve Hesson

Might not hurt to have somebody check the Retired Officer's Association roster on your behalf, too.

Paul

I'll check it out. Seems alittle congested. Thanks.

I was very fortunate to have acquired the May 2002 edition of the Roster of WW2 US Submarine Veterans. There are four Pipers listed who were alive as of 2002, while none appear in the deceased section. Take your pick. Stated ranks are for wartime duty. It looks to me that Marion may be your veteran, especially since Brownsville's zip code range is 154xx. The four Pipers are:

James Piper of Carver, MA, RM1 on the R-4 & Scorpion.

Another James Piper of Clifton Springs, NY, QM2 on the S-16 & Cachalot.

Marion Piper of East Millsboro, PA, RM1 on the Pipefish. Zip code 15433

Richard Piper of Silver Springs, NV, QM3 on the Dace & Sawfish.

I was very fortunate to have acquired the May 2002 edition of the Roster of WW2 US Submarine Veterans. There are four Pipers listed who were alive as of 2002, while none appear in the deceased section. Take your pick. Stated ranks are for wartime duty. It looks to me that Marion may be your veteran, especially since Brownsville's zip code range is 154xx. The four Pipers are:

James Piper of Carver, MA, RM1 on the R-4 & Scorpion.

Another James Piper of Clifton Springs, NY, QM2 on the S-16 & Cachalot.

Marion Piper of East Millsboro, PA, RM1 on the Pipefish. Zip code 15433

Richard Piper of Silver Springs, NV, QM3 on the Dace & Sawfish.

Nice piece of detective work there, Tom. - Same elisted rate, same state; sure looks like that's gonna be the same guy.

Paul

Nice piece of detective work there, Tom. - Same enlisted rate, same state; sure looks like that's gonna be the same guy.

Paul

Matt, you've now got a nice identified sub group !! - Right in your home state, too. I'll bet there'll be more information and perhaps more items that you can add to it.

Best of luck to you!!

Paul

Completely forgot that I have a handful of post-WW2 Navy registers. Here are the Pipers from the 1959 Register...

Charles William (LCDR, ret)

George Robert (LT, ret)

Harold Leroy (LT)

Harry Mahone (LTJG)

James III (LTJG)

James Stanley (ENS)

Leon Edward (CWO2, ret)

Marion LaFav? (WO1)

Miles Ewing (LCDR, ret)

Oscar Clair (LT, ret)

Raymond Francis (ENS)

Looks like Marion might be our man? He would have gone from RM1 to RMC to WO1 and then to LDO. He's not listed in my 1970 Register, so I don't know when or if he went LDO. I also haven't taken the time to check the rest to see if they are LDOs either, I can look later today (have to take my kids to school this AM...)

Dave

Doing some more looking...the only problem I have with Marion LaFave Piper Jr. is that his PEBD is January 1944....which means that he shouldn't have the American Defense medal and with a 1924 DOB, he would have been 16 if he had earned it when it came out. Hmmm...

Well, I just got home from work so I will see what I can get into. I have to admit you guys seem to have more resources so when I say THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INPUT! I really mean it.

The only true source I can come up with is going back to the person I bought it off from. He said it was from an estate auction (local and rescent) Hopefully I can gather pics, etc from the family too.