us army ranger arctic

msgt norway

made this pictures today,my wife is the photographer as usual :)

arcticranger.jpg

arcticrangerdown.jpg

arcticrangerface.jpg

arcticrangerfront.jpg

arcticrangerside.jpg

arcticrangerback.jpg

i was intented to use other m16s but the supplier i used never delivered the guns :( (money lost :mad: )

time period early 1980s,since i use a alice pack and nigth vision goggles from early 80s.

hope you fellow collectors enjoy them :)

cheers from ken in norway

hello paul! :)

the goggles are the: AN/PVS-5's type.

here is a close up of my goggles-

IMG_0822.jpg

i got them from my father in law a few years ago.

cheers ken

• 3 months later...
Guest Alaskan Scout

Do you have the Arctic Ranger patch? There us to be a unit here in Anchorage Alask..I think it was disbanded in the 70s....I have a few patches w/o the scroll though..Lemme know if i can help..

Do you have the Arctic Ranger patch? no i dont have it :crying:

pm me with a offer :thumbsup:

mercenary25:Cool impression. Too bad there is no snow! now i have loads of snow

so hopefully this weekend il make new arctic ranger pictures with the rigth background :)

cheers ken

now i have snow!!!! and did a photo shoot :)

DSCN2657.jpg

DSCN2658.jpg

DSCN2660.jpg

DSCN2663.jpg

DSCN2665.jpg

DSCN2668.jpg

DSCN2667.jpg

it was 24 minus celsius during the session,but i was to warm since i used al the

ecws stuff . my wife got cold fingers now i have to warm them :twothumbup:

hope you enjoy the pictures, cheers from ken in norway

I just notice you made new pictures..Sorry....

I wanna see you get up that mountain behind you in that kit.

That would be quite adventure.

Also, your kit looks great as usual!

• 3 weeks later...

I like your set up, brings back memories. I served at Ft Richardson AK with the 4/327 inf 172 LIB and then with 1/17th inf 6th ID (L) from 85-88. I have a few suggestions for your gear if you can obtain it. During the winter months we wore long underware (poly p or wool issue) cotton field pants,wool shirt,wool socks and vapor barrier boots. Headgear in the field was a blue balaclava,kevlar trigger finger mittens and carried were artic mittens. We still used alice gear. The ruck was a large with frame. Inside was a sleeping bag xtreme cold weather,extra socks,shirt and pants plus a ton of other things that our unit made us carry(light infantryman). If I can find our unit sop manual (packed away) I will post more of the list. Also we never used the face paint during the winter months due to masking the effects of frostbite. I hope this sheds a little light on AK during the mid 80's. As a side note we did not have a Ranger detachment in AK at the time but each Inf Bn had a scout platoon and Division had a LRSU (long range survailance unit). When we went from a light brigade to a division there was a push to send as many qualified individuals to Ranger school as possble

msgt norway

hello Bummer!

would be nice if you found the unit sop manual,if posible any chance for a copy?

cheers ken,and thanks for al feedback :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
Buffalo Grunt

This information is from a friend of mine who served as a Company Commander in 1-17 and 2-17 (6th ID L) in the late 1980's at Ft Richardson:

"Arctic uniform we wore up to 1989:

Shirt: Wool green shirt with US Army, name, and rank on collars. We did NOT wear unit patches or qualification badges, though I think Charlie Airborne may have worn sew-on jump wings.

Pants: Field pants with suspenders. Sometimes we wore the over-white pants over the field pants.

Boot: Issued mountain boots, or Go-Devils. Some wore Herman Survivors.

Winter boots were the Bata white boots....NEVER the black "Mickey mouse" boot.

Balaclava: Blue only. The green ones came out after I left.

LCE: Standard nylon "Y" harness, two magazine pouches, Arctic canteen on left hip, bayonet on left side. Officers, mortar crews, and assistant machine gunners wore a pistol on the right hip.

Helmet: Steel helmet or Kevlar one (we got them in 1987).

Jacket: The wonderful Arctic parka with fur ruff on the hood. NO patches anywhere on it. Rank pinned on center of chest.

Gloves. Trigger finger mittens were standard wear. The Arctic mittens were worn with the cord around the neck, center-line snap on the chest, and the mittens snapped together in the back (on your butt) with the fuzzy sides out.

Wool scarf could be worn around the neck when weather got really cold.

We did NOT use arctic camo paint. Turns out you cannot see when a buddy is getting frostbite under the paint. So we went bare skinned. The camo paint was for the publicity photos.

Starting in 1989, we switched entirely to the GoreTex ECWCS system. Gloves and boots were the same."