Is this for real?

WARHORSE

I picked this pack up last year at a hamfest (radio flemarket) of all places. It is made of nylon like the lightweight ruck, but looks like the tropical ruck. Only markings is the US. This is my first time to post a topic and pictures. Hope the turn out OK.

post-7216-1257549776.jpg

In my opinion its a copy of a US tropical ruck, not military issue. The hardware is different than on US tropical rucks and has a cheap appearance and other things like the shoulder straps are different.

It seems to be canvass and not nylon on the body..

If that pinkish color is correct, I am betting it is worn nylon. For some odd reason the nylon used to bleach out to that wierd red shade. Canvass on the other hand faded to a grey or a white.

If that pinkish color is correct, I am betting it is worn nylon. For some odd reason the nylon used to bleach out to that wierd red shade. Canvass on the other hand faded to a grey or a white.

You are right on that. Plus, he states it's nylon! :thumbsup:

craig_pickrall

I'm sorry if my statement mislead people. I didn't mean his pack was real but rather that the design was a real one. I see flaws in his pack and posted the link to what I know is a real one so he could compare it.

The shoulder straps and buckles come into question on his plus it is missing the two vertical pads beside the X frame. There may be other things too.

Funny - I never have seen a repro of a Tropical Rucksack. Can you find some labels or markings?

Probably a 80´s or 90´s repro from a US Cavalry catalogue or something like that.

hang on i just noticed the adjusters on the straps are sewn onto the wrong bar of the adjusters....I seem to agree with most posters that it is indeed a repro pack......not very well done with the strapworks IMO......especially those adjusters, as i did the SAME thing to my customized webbing......whereas the contractors, wouldve used the same metal hardware as the rucksacks or shoulder straps, looped the webbing onto the correct bars of the adjusters, and generally do a better quality job than this appears to be.......however, it is an interesting piece of gear, makes for a good placeholder, or perhaps someone found the original ruck frame and decided to make their own version of the pack with materials they had?