WWI USMC shoulder patch values

bjomanson

Can anyone provide a ballpark estimate of the value of an original 2nd Bttn, 6th Marines, 4th Brigade, 2nd Div AEF shoulder patch? (handsewn Indianhead on yellow diamond). Thanks, BJ Omanson

Can anyone provide a ballpark estimate of the value of an original 2nd Bttn, 6th Marines, 4th Brigade, 2nd Div AEF shoulder patch? (handsewn Indianhead on yellow diamond). Thanks, BJ Omanson

Howdy BJ - Welcome to the Forum! Fakes of WWI USMC patches abound. Would like to see a pic, front & back, before offerring an opinion.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Thanks, Bobgee. Don't have access to a scanner. So let me rephrase -- IF the patch is genuine, what is it roughly worth?

Howdy BJ - Welcome to the Forum! Fakes of WWI USMC patches abound. Would like to see a pic, front & back, before offerring an opinion.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Don't have a scan, but did find this old photo. The patch can be seen under glass. The yellow felt diamond has been folded into the diamond shape (as opposed to being cut) and appears to have been hand-stitched onto the uniform, as the threads are still present. The Indianhead itself looks like it was machine-stitched, and also machine-stitched onto the felt. I've seen a number of fake patches, and I have one -- but this looks genuine, and is visibly aged. In fact, I'd bet the farm that it's genuine. The Indianhead is identical to one on page 93 of 'Organization & Insignia of the AEF, 1917-1923, by Dalessandro & Knapp. I was an active collector of WWI USMC militaria about 15 years ago, but have not been an active buyer for the past decade, so am out of touch with the current market. Anyway, the photo is at http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/ddug32c.jpg

Don't have a scan, but did find this old photo. The patch can be seen under glass. The yellow felt diamond has been folded into the diamond shape (as opposed to being cut) and appears to have been hand-stitched onto the uniform, as the threads are still present. The Indianhead itself looks like it was machine-stitched, and also machine-stitched onto the felt. I've seen a number of fake patches, and I have one -- but this looks genuine, and is visibly aged. In fact, I'd bet the farm that it's genuine. The Indianhead is identical to one on page 93 of 'Organization & Insignia of the AEF, 1917-1923, by Dalessandro & Knapp. I was an active collector of WWI USMC militaria about 15 years ago, but have not been an active buyer for the past decade, so am out of touch with the current market. Anyway, the photo is at http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/ddug32c.jpg

BJ - Photo doesn't do much. IF genuine, I'd estimate it at $300 and upwards, perhaps to $400. My humble opinion only. Semper Fi - Bob

BJ - Photo doesn't do much. IF genuine, I'd estimate it at $300 and upwards, perhaps to $400. My humble opinion only. Semper Fi - Bob

The photo does offer a small amount of info. The star/Indian portion of the patch appears to be genuine. Those were issued "plain" to hundreds of WWI Army and USMC troops in the 2nd Div. Those were then supposed to be sewn to whatever color and shape background was appropriate to the troop's individual unit. I'd prefer a better image to pronounce the star/Indian 100% legit, but I am willing to suggest a very high degree of confidence in that.

Now, the yellow diamond background may or may not be authentic to the WWI period. I cannot tell from the photo. As you might well imagine, many of the troops never bothered to sew their star/Indian to anything and just stuffed them into their pockets or knapsacks. As a result, many WWI 2nd Div vets had the basic star, but without any background. If an enterprising individual acquired such a plain item long after the war they could sew it to any background that they felt might give them the biggest return on their investment, so to speak.

Te basic star/Indian, even without any background is worth over $100. They are difficult to fake. IF, IF the entire patch is legit, it could be worth $300-400 (or more), especially in an auction situation.

Patch Johnson

post-8438-1257699818.jpgpost-8438-1257699850.jpg

The photo does offer a small amount of info. The star/Indian portion of the patch appears to be genuine. Those were issued "plain" to hundreds of WWI Army and USMC troops in the 2nd Div. Those were then supposed to be sewn to whatever color and shape background was appropriate to the troop's individual unit. I'd prefer a better image to pronounce the star/Indian 100% legit, but I am willing to suggest a very high degree of confidence in that.

Now, the yellow diamond background may or may not be authentic to the WWI period. I cannot tell from the photo. As you might well imagine, many of the troops never bothered to sew their star/Indian to anything and just stuffed them into their pockets or knapsacks. As a result, many WWI 2nd Div vets had the basic star, but without any background. If an enterprising individual acquired such a plain item long after the war they could sew it to any background that they felt might give them the biggest return on their investment, so to speak.

Te basic star/Indian, even without any background is worth over $100. They are difficult to fake. IF, IF the entire patch is legit, it could be worth $300-400 (or more), especially in an auction situation.

Patch Johnson

Thanks to Patch & Bob for their input. I kickstarted my old scanner enough to get it working for awhile -- long enough to get a couple of close-ups of the patch. BJ

scan0001.JPGscan0003.JPG

Thanks to Patch & Bob for their input. I kickstarted my old scanner enough to get it working for awhile -- long enough to get a couple of close-ups of the patch. BJ

Looks righteous to me. Patch has it nailed. Nice! Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Looks righteous to me. Patch has it nailed. Nice! Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Absolutely 100% correct. You've got a winner there for sure. Note the WOOL background - NOT felt. A collector of WWI patches must learn the difference between the two or they will have lots of repros!

Patch Johnson

I say $400 is a ballpark value, $450 on a good day, $350 on a bad. I sold off my collection recently of silk screened versions for about $500 per.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

How does one determine if a patch is felt or wool? They both have subtle similarities but I guess asthetically speaking they look similar.

-Semper Fi, Kevin Seldon

How does one determine if a patch is felt or wool? They both have subtle similarities but I guess asthetically speaking they look similar.

-Semper Fi, Kevin Seldon

Felt is made from woolen fibers, but it is a non-woven cloth and thus you won't see a weave, but something similar to this:

felt.jpg

Here is a pic of a 1/6 tunic I got from a great forum member here that most USMC guys know. I did extensive research and the only Marine this could have been was Cpt. Clarence N. McClure Co 95th Company during the month of November 1918. He's mentioned in Warren Jackson's "His Time in Hell"

Jesus I give up I can never load a damn photo on this site everything is too big!!!!! I have tried to upload so much stuff but to no avail. I give up guess that's what happens when a gunrock screws with computers.

teufelhunde.ret
Jesus I give up I can never load a damn photo on this site everything is too big!!!!! I have tried to upload so much stuff but to no avail. I give up guess that's what happens when a gunrock screws with computers.

Take a look thru this thread - I think you will find all the help you need to get your pic's re-sized, loaded and posted. s/f Darrell

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=24

Here is a tunic that I obtained from one of our forum USMC experts whom you USMC guys all know, great guy. I have id'd this tunic to I believe Capt. Clarence N. McClure of the 95th Co. who commanded the company in November of 1918. Enjoy.

post-2182-1260495035.jpg