Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

seanmc1114

A group of airmen probably in Japan right before or during the Korean War. The three wearing Ike jackets appear to have olive drab uniforms with the "transition" brass with U.S. and Air Corps devices. However, the sergeant third from right appears to be wearing the new blue uniform with silver collar discs.

Air Force.Brass Enlisted Insignia.2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Captain MaryBelle Johns Nissly, WAF Band Conductor and Commander, sometime in the 50s, officially titled 543rd Air Force Band (WAF) , it was simply known as The WAF Band, she was in charge from it's forming in  January 1951 till it's inactivation in 1961 under acrimonious circumstances,

See WAF Band Chapter to see what happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Air_Force#WAF_Band

Got her own WIKI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MaryBelle_Johns_Nissly

8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
edjperkins
On 1/24/2017 at 3:52 PM, COOKIEMAN said:

Some additional comments about the Blue Ike. I was stationed with the Armed Forces Police, Washington DC, 1963-1964. The preferred winter uniform was the Ike and trousers, while the summer uniform was Silver Tan gabardine shirt and trousers. Both of these uniforms were phased out on 30 June 1964.

A couple of comments about the uniform in the attached pictures. The cap is a Navy Chief Petty Officer's, with USAF cap badge, side buttons and chin strap. It was easier to maintain (bill did not have to be spit shined) and was lighter and cooler to wear.

If you will look closely at the Ike jacket, you will see that uniform blue belt loops have been added. These made it easier to wear the Sam Browne equipment, as well as, made for a better / sharper appearance.

In addition to the uniforms, I love the 1957 Chevrolet 150 that was used for the patrol car.  

On 1/24/2017 at 3:52 PM, COOKIEMAN said:

These pictures were taken 54 years ago, so you can imagine I can even think about fitting into that uniform.

post-14361-0-60671400-1485291138_thumb.jpg

post-14361-0-25974500-1485291148.jpg

post-14361-0-21393600-1485291160_thumb.jpg

One more picture, summer of 1964. Wearing the silver tans shortly before phase out.

post-14361-0-28718500-1485291575_thumb.jpg

image.png.ec2edbe05cd66155c3ae6bf4004f62b6.png

For anyone perusing this, worth mentioning here:

ISO silver tans! I've been having a bear of a time finding a good Korean War-era silver tan USAF uniform. My problem is that the uniforms around this time were cut BIG. Sizing is totally different than WWII on account of the Bold Look and post-war abundance of material. In short, a 38R is completely different than a WWII-era one! My measurements are:

Shoulder to shoulder: 17-18"

Pit to pit: 20"

Shoulder to sleeve hem: 24"

Waist: 31"

Inseam: 31"

If anyone has this, please let me know! Bonus if it comes with the matching khaki shirt(s), several of which I've handled and tend to be of superb quality. Thank you so much!!