Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

On 3/30/2023 at 9:10 PM, Marshallj said:

Not sure of when this photo was taken.

339117614_543617111230571_5357052105214079838_n.jpg.b33bad6fd582328c77e6734e93bb9994.jpg

It would have been taken after 1958.  There is a SMSgt in the photo.  That rank did not come into existence until 1958.  

On 7/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, Vanderbilt said:

.....these were my Dads AF cap badge and collar insignia. After his service as a medic in WW2. Sometime between then and Korea he joined the AF Reserve. He was activated during the Korean Conflict and spent time in Columbus, Ga. He said the group he was in trained air crews on C 47's. His rank was TSgt. None of his uniforms survived. I do remember a bag down in the basement. It disappeared when I was 8-10 years old. I would like to put the cap badge on a hat for display. Not sure if the proper hat would be Army od, tan or AF blue?

IMG_20220727_181212.jpg

For this silver cap device, it would go on a blue Air Force Service Cap.

27 minutes ago, edjperkins said:

For this silver cap device, it would go on a blue Air Force Service Cap.

....thanks, yeah, I eventually learned that....just decided to put everything in with his flag....

IMG_20230621_141521.jpg

• 1 month later...

Henry R. Luce's meeting with Major General Roger M. Ramey, commander of the Eighth Air Force - October 1949. Note the general's bullion insignia.

Air Force.1949.20th Air Force Combat Patch.1.jpg

Air Force.1949.20th Air Force Combat Patch.2.jpg

Photo caption: "C. J. Anderson, 25, left, and his brother, Herman, 20, sons of Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Anderson of 2803 Roosevelt, Texas, had time for little more than a handshake during their reunion. The sergeant arrived from Alaska only a day before his brother's Navy leave was ended. C. J. Anderson and Herman Anderson can be seen shaking hands in the photograph. Published in Fort Worth Star Telegram evening edition June 7, 1951."

Note he is wearing the Tenth Air Force SSI and Alaska Air Command DUI's.

Air Force.10th Air Force.1951.1.jpg

Air Force.10th Air Force.1951.2.jpg

Alaska Air Command.1.jpg

Photo caption: "Master Sgt. Albert W. Hessel of Carswell Air Force Base left by plane Tuesday where he will join the Air Force "Wings for Americas" good will tour of South America as the official news writer for the party. Published in Fort Worth Star Telegram morning January 12, 1954."

Air Force.1954.Hessel.jpg

Photo caption: "Alighting from a B-36 at Carswell Air Force Base are Major John H. McKinnon, at bottom of ramp, and Major John Farrell, of the top crew in bombing and navigation competition. Published in Fort Worth Star Telegram morning edition August 30, 1954."

I find the white uniform worn by the sergeant to be interesting. It seems like if he was some sort og groundcrew, a white uniform would get awfully dirty.

Air Force.1954.B-36.1.jpg

Photo caption: "Colonel Herbert W. Ehrgott, left, commander of the new Aviation Engineer Force, and Colonel Jack. D. Mage, commander of the 7th Aviation Engineer Brigade, will direct training of aviation engineers at four United States bases from headquarters at Wolters Air Base near Mineral Wells. Published in Fort Worth Star Telegram morning edition April 14, 1951."

The colonel on the left is Air Force and the colonel on the right is Army. I assume the 7th Aviation Engineer Brigade was an Army unit. 

Air Force.7th Engineer Aviation Brigade.2.jpg

An 8th Air Force Blue IKE Jacket. 8th Air Force Bullion on Wool, it may be a Combat Patch. Custom made Rack with Aircrewman Wings we see, Wings have a White backing under Earle there, and a load of Hashmarks..

blue4.PNG

blue5.PNG

blue6.PNG

Pictured here are two Carswell Air Force Base airmen being served coffee and cake by members of the Fort Worth chapter of American Gold Star Mothers, Inc., at the Armed Forces Service Center. Those in this photo, from left to right, are Mrs. C. R. Woods, Mrs. M. Pollard, chapter chairman, Mrs. R. E. Weatherbee, Corporal Richard Stanberry, and Sergeant James Mock.

Date Created: 

9/16/1950

Note the different styles of branch insignia each is wearing.

Air Force.Carswell AFB.1950.1.jpg

Air Force.Carswell AFB.1950.2.jpg

Sergeant Paul Bamburak of New Jersey sticks a pin in the map at his home state while visiting the Fort Worth Armed Forces Center. Next in line is Private First Class John G. L. Kelly of Washington, stationed at Carswell AFB. Sergeant Bamburak is based at Goodfellow Air Force Base, San Angelo. Published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram morning edition, October 5, 1951.

Note the sergeant is wearing silver cut out U.S. discs and black or navy blue tie and belt while the private is wearing brass U.S. and Air Corps cut out discs and khaki tie and belt along with an Army Air Forces SSI and DUI's.  

Air Force.Air Corps Branch.1951.jpg

Air Force.Air Corps Branch.1951.2.jpg

Left to right are Staff Sgt. James Mock, president of the Fort Worth Armed Forces Center photography club, and Sgt. Pete Carroll, vice president. Published in Fort Worth Star Telegram morning edition March 30, 1952.

Note that not only is Sgt. Carroll wearing the Ike jacket with Eighth Air Force SSI and khaki tie, but he also appears to have domed brass branch insignia. 

Eighth Air Force.Ike Jacket.1952.1.jpg

Eighth Air Force.Ike Jacket.1952.2.jpg

Private First Class Helen Stevenson, right, of the 4005th Women's Air Force Squadron at Carswell Air Force Base is shown getting a snack in the WAF barracks kitchen. Another unidentified Air Woman can be seen standing to the left of the image. Published in the morning edition, September 10, 1950.

Air Force.Females.1950.1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Doctor Dorothy Armstrong Elias, first female doctor in the the Air Force in March 1951, commissioned as Captain, doesn't stay long at all, leaves the service in November 1952.

March 14, 1951, Capt. (Dr.) Dorothy Armstrong Elias.jpg

On 8/16/2023 at 3:02 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Antony, Bernard, Carl and Donald Perricone, quadruplets all staff sergeants in the Air Force Reserve

Date Created: 

1953-04-23

Air Force.Quadruplets.1.jpg

Antony, Bernard, Carl and Donald Perricone.jpg

Looks like they served in the Army before joining the Air Force Reserves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 5:48 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Henry R. Luce's meeting with Major General Roger M. Ramey, commander of the Eighth Air Force - October 1949. Note the general's bullion insignia.

Air Force.1949.20th Air Force Combat Patch.1.jpg

Air Force.1949.20th Air Force Combat Patch.2.jpg

Love the gabardine wool material.  It gave the uniform a real sheen.  My dad had a few uniforms like this.  

• 3 weeks later...

Another Transitional, 15th Air Force, when this Ike was worn, 15th Air Force was HQed at Colorado Springs Colorado, and had elmts allover the place in the west

blue 5.PNG

blue 6.PNG

On 9/9/2023 at 1:38 AM, Wailuna said:

Antony, Bernard, Carl and Donald Perricone.jpg

Looks like they served in the Army before joining the Air Force Reserves.

Here they are again, could they have made up the crew of the tank???, seems to me foolhardy if the tank got destroyed right, plus this wasn't permitted after the Sullivans right, they must of needed extra special permission to serve in same unit.

Antony, Bernard, Carl and Donald Perricone,.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

....my best friend purchased these two caps for a B'day gift...going to use the best one as a tribute cap for my Pop to recognise his AF service during Korea. He spent that time at the airfield near Ft Benning. His group trained air crews.

20231111_094726.jpg