post WWII, 50's & 60's US Air Force uniform photos

couple more..

post-105743-0-00572300-1567049098_thumb.jpg

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep: I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion".

Alexander

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

Heraclitus

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

one more and let me see if I can make up something suitable for this great array of military heritage...

post-105743-0-66363300-1567049324_thumb.jpg

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep: I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion".

Alexander

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

Heraclitus

I meant the 4th bar ya'll!

Alexander

Heraclitus

Here is a series of Farley E. Peebles as he progressed through his career. Some things to note.

First, I am not sure if the Ike jacket in the first photo is olive drab or blue. I'm leaning towards blue because the strap and visor on the cap look like they are black. Would that be right?

In the second photo, note he is wearing his unit awards over his right breast pocket in the earlier Army style rather than among his other ribbons like in the photo in the next post.

Third, notice all the insignia in the third photo is embroidered.

post-1761-0-42189400-1567102863_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-90577600-1567102881_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-80739700-1567102962_thumb.jpg

Two photos of Major General Robert M. White. The first shows him as a colonel with his Air Force Cross earned for an F-105 mission over North Vietnam in 1967. White was also an X-15 test pilot and flew the aircraft to an altitude above 50 miles, qualifying him for the Command Pilot Badge with Astronaut Device. It's hard to make out, but I would assume his wings in this picture have the astronaut device. The second picture clearly shows the astronaut device on his wings.

post-1761-0-87199300-1567105385_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-61148900-1567105397.jpg

post-1761-0-05867200-1567105412.jpg

Two photos of Major General Robert M. White. The first shows him as a colonel with his Air Force Cross earned for an F-105 mission over North Vietnam in 1967. White was also an X-15 test pilot and flew the aircraft to an altitude above 50 miles, qualifying him for the Command Pilot Badge with Astronaut Device. It's hard to make out, but I would assume his wings in this picture have the astronaut device. The second picture clearly shows the astronaut device on his wings.

Very cool. Sure looks like the Astronaut designator on his mini CMD Pilot wings

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

Here is a series of Farley E. Peebles as he progressed through his career. Some things to note.

First, I am not sure if the Ike jacket in the first photo is olive drab or blue. I'm leaning towards blue because the strap and visor on the cap look like they are black. Would that be right?

In the second photo, note he is wearing his unit awards over his right breast pocket in the earlier Army style rather than among his other ribbons like in the photo in the next post.

Third, notice all the insignia in the third photo is embroidered.

seanmc1114

Post #904, in the first pic he does not appear to be wearing blues. His tie is tan, not AF blue, and he is wearing prop & wing devices on his lapels, which indicates this was still Army Air Forces era, not USAF.

post-7471-0-84659200-1567170234_thumb.jpg

seanmc1114

Post #904, in the first pic he does not appear to be wearing blues. His tie is tan, not AF blue, and he is wearing prop & wing devices on his lapels, which indicates this was still Army Air Forces era, not USAF.

+1

• 1 month later...

Lt. Robert Haney of the 80th Fighter Bomber Squadron receives the Far East Air Forces "Able Aeronaut" patch from 8th Fighter Bomber Wing commander, Orville Rehmann. Next photo, Rehmann confers with Colonel William Barnes as he delivers the first F-100 to the 8th FBW. Colonel Ladson Eskridge, 43rd Air Division commander, looks on.

post-1949-0-65004300-1571872689_thumb.jpg

post-1949-0-71861000-1571872697_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a soldier of the 184th Infantry Regiment 49th Infantry Division of the California Army National sometime in the late 40's due to the wear of the double collar discs. But note that he is wearing an early gold AIr Force cap device.

post-1761-0-59032400-1576267682.jpg

This is a soldier of the 184th Infantry Regiment 49th Infantry Division of the California Army National sometime in the late 40's due to the wear of the double collar discs. But note that he is wearing an early gold AIr Force cap device.

Cool photo.

• 2 weeks later...

The same nurse, Captain Vivian M. Gersema, from Post # 914. I assume this is inside the same aircraft shown in the previous post at Offutt AFB in 1953 - a flying hospital, a C-54 dubbed an “MC-54M” due to its medical role.

post-1761-0-25444900-1577109824_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

AHR HERE

CAN SOME ONE SEND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE THIS FORUM

IT TOOK FOREVER TO FIND HOW TO SIGN ON, NOW AFTER SIGN ON IF I CLICK MEMBERS I GET NOT ALLOWED.

I HAVE A VN PATCH TO ID, CAN'T SEEM TO FIND OUT HOW.

THIS IS A FEW OF MY PROBLEMS HELP

AHRICHMONDJR@YAHOO.COM

THANKS AHR

• 1 month later...

On their visit to the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson (center) greets T/Sgt. William R. McLand (second from left), U. S. Air Force, Pope Air Force Base, Ft. Bragg, North Carolina, and twenty-eight other outstanding soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines, who are visiting Washington, D.C., from January 12 to 15, 1950, as guests of the Department of Defense. The identities of the other servicemen are unknown and were selected by their respective services from among enlisted personnel on the basis of leadership, conduct, bearing and initiative. The soldiers were selected from Ft. Bragg, North Carolina; the sailors from the Atlantic Fleet; the airmen from Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina; and the Marines from the Marine Corps School, Quantico, Virginia. January 13, 1950

post-1761-0-61934900-1581435500_thumb.jpg