Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

Found two new fotos for you all.

post-34986-0-07165100-1439140736.jpg

A WWII 7th AF vet with Dean Martin back stage in Orleans France August 1953, Martin & Lewis where putting on show for U.S. Personnel and dependents there.

post-34986-0-01116900-1439140768.jpg

And Curtis Le May arrives in Belgium, June 1958, caption states Le May flew ship himself, a KC-135 Stratotanker, the KC-135 being a new aircraft in the Air Forces inventory (June 1957)

• 3 weeks later...

post-34986-0-51822700-1440729544.jpg

Technical Sergeant Kellis Deaver of a Combat Air Controller talks with General Walter C. Sweeney commander of the Tactical Air Command in 1964. I think location is out west some where. Deaver's CAC unit just did a TAC Jump, and Gen Sweeney was on hand to watch. Of note is the Black on White stamped chest tapes, the on the left simply stamped U S A F, this was just before the Air Force adopted the now familiar White on Blue U.S. AIR FORCE and Name tapes, Deaver, and perhaps the whole unit, as we see was issued the Leaf Pattern cover by this date, he wears in Brown/Tan side out.

General Sweeney incredibly died a little while later.

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/105473/general-walter-c-sweeney-jr.aspx

Here's Deaver (top row second from the right) again several years later as a Senior Master Sergeant at Hurlburt Air Force Base Florida I think date is 1969. Once again click image for enlarged view.

post-34986-0-93552600-1440819066.jpg

post-34986-0-90758900-1441077781.jpg

A fun image from an 1967 episode of I Dream of Jeannie, here we see a nice view of AF utilities being worn in this period, Blue waist web belt with Nickle buckle and all. There's one error though, Major Healey was an Aviation Qualified Army Engineer officer assigned to NASA, so should be wearing the period Army stuff on his fatiques, IE U.S. ARMY tape either full color Yellow on Black or Subdued, with either a White NAME tape or Subdued, with full color rank and BOS badge, and a full Color cloth Army Aviator Badge :D

post-34986-0-22604700-1441077842.jpg

The episode, which also stars Don Rickles is My Master My Weakling.

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-11682200-1444534488.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel Jessie E. Stay with another officer check out instruments of Brigham Young University's Air Force ROTC band in late summer of 1951, just before school starts. Col Stay was the BYU's very first Air Force ROTC Commandant.

His Obit, a bomber pilot, I think in the 11th Bombardment Group, 7th Air Force.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1217314/Obituary-Jesse-E-Stay.html?pg=all

post-34986-0-62007500-1444838851.jpg

T/Sgt. A.T. White, U.S.A.F. South Korea. Wartime service as a Combat Infantryman 29th Infantry Division (he was not pre-war national guard but a draftee filler before 29th Inf Div. left the Z.I. for England) As you see, his 29th Inf Div patch is the approved design, unlike the one worn by the Air Policeman in Morocco as seen HERE posts #300-302-303-304. The foto is-dated to May 15, 1954, T/Sgt. White was attending the Armed Forces Day parade at Eighth Army Headquarters in Seoul, Korea.

Here's a booklet from the 2466th Reserve Center Atterbury Indiana 1951

Front post-34986-0-03172500-1444872796.jpg

Rear post-34986-0-37925100-1444872882.jpg

Some more from Atterbury AB, circa 1951-53, this Master Sergeant wears a CIB but no combat patch. The CIB has an odd configuration right? maybe it's theater made one?

post-34986-0-25440900-1444873191.jpg

C-119 lifts 1954.

post-34986-0-42913300-1444873216.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Two Airmen at the Army Language School early 1950s'. One is wearing the four pocket service uniform and the other is wearing an Ike jacket and wool pants. The color of the Ike really contrasts with the other uniform. Is it olive drab or blue?

post-1761-0-40153500-1446906544.jpg

Yet another former Dog Face serving in the AF after Army service. He's one Troy Palmore, don't know anymore on him other then he apparently fought in Korea with the 5th RCT, that's where he got that CIB.

post-34986-0-52390900-1447204958.jpg

attachicon.giftscan.jpg

Technical Sergeant Kellis Deaver of a Combat Air Controller talks with General Walter C. Sweeney commander of the Tactical Air Command in 1964. I think location is out west some where. Deaver's CAC unit just did a TAC Jump, and Gen Sweeney was on hand to watch. Of note is the Black on White stamped chest tapes, the on the left simply stamped U S A F, this was just before the Air Force adopted the now familiar White on Blue U.S. AIR FORCE and Name tapes, Deaver, and perhaps the whole unit, as we see was issued the Leaf Pattern cover by this date, he wears in Brown/Tan side out.

General Sweeney incredibly died a little while later.

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/105473/general-walter-c-sweeney-jr.aspx

The camouflage value of the brown leaf pattern helmet cover is pretty much negated by the color insignia of the uniforms, especially the blue and white chevrons. It's actually kind of funny.

post-34986-0-72264000-1447302847.jpg

These Airman pose for one in Korea, date unknown. While the one on the far left is wearing your standard issue Army uniform, OD Wool Type, for field wear, the other two, appear in utilities, coveralls with the fronts just buttoned open right? almost looks like they're two separate garments right. Looks like the Airman 2nd Class also has something stenciled over the pocket, can't make it out to good, USA or USAF?? with maybe his name below??

Also note the Eight Ball patch. Eight Ball Squad :lol:, or was this a real AF unit? seen some references to a WWII Bomber unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Air Force LTC W. H. Wise, the father of "Project Safeside", a program developed during the Vietnam War to train Air Force security policemen in infantry tactics to defend Air Force facilities in a combat zone. Note he is wearing the Combat Infantryman Badge

post-1761-0-45803800-1448036973.jpg

Air Force LTC W. H. Wise, the father of "Project Safeside", a program developed during the Vietnam War to train Air Force security policemen in infantry tactics to defend Air Force facilities in a combat zone. Note he is wearing the Combat Infantryman Badge

He should not be confused with another William H. Wise from around this time period.

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/105216/major-general-william-h-wise.aspx

Any idea which Division he was in when he was in the Army and got that CIB? Can't seem to find anything.

Col. "Wild Bill" Wise served as a Ranger in World War II. As you can tell, he had the CIB and was pretty highly decorated and was quite the leader.

Very briefly -- At the time of this photo, he's the commander of the 1041st Provisional Strike Test Group, and deputy commander of what becomes the 82nd Combat Security Police Wing.

As the father of "Operation Safeside," he's the one that is responsible for changing the role of Air Force Security Police from standard military police duties to something more of light infantrymen because these individuals become the backbone of airbase defense in Vietnam.

Those Air Force Security Policemen trained as Army Rangers, some were jump qualified, and their emblem is the basis of the beret flash currently worn by AF Security Forces.

The blue beret and what is called the Security Police Functional Badge (not the shield) come seven years later under the leadership of Maj. Gen. Thomas Sadler. In the Air Force, Security Forces are one of six combat arms related career fields that were berets. Some are airborne qualified, some are air assault qualified, some are actually serving in special operations roles.

It isn't special forces, but it's as close as I ever wanted to get.

Col. "Wild Bill" Wise served as a Ranger in World War II. As you can tell, he had the CIB and was pretty highly decorated and was quite the leader.

Very briefly -- At the time of this photo, he's the commander of the 1041st Provisional Strike Test Group, and deputy commander of what becomes the 82nd Combat Security Police Wing.

As the father of "Operation Safeside," he's the one that is responsible for changing the role of Air Force Security Police from standard military police duties to something more of light infantrymen because these individuals become the backbone of airbase defense in Vietnam.

Those Air Force Security Policemen trained as Army Rangers, some were jump qualified, and their emblem is the basis of the beret flash currently worn by AF Security Forces.

The blue beret and what is called the Security Police Functional Badge (not the shield) come seven years later under the leadership of Maj. Gen. Thomas Sadler. In the Air Force, Security Forces are one of six combat arms related career fields that were berets. Some are airborne qualified, some are air assault qualified, some are actually serving in special operations roles.

It isn't special forces, but it's as close as I ever wanted to get.

Any idea in what Battalion Flyboy? Can't track him down, on WWII Rangers Roster a Wilmer K. Wise a Cpt of the 5rh Battalion, but clearly this is not him. He was also evidently an enlistedman as he's got the Good Conduct Medal with a few loops.

Regrettably, I can't.

The information that I have at my finger tips only says that Lt. Col. Wise was a sergeant in the Army during the assault on Normandy Beach.

Chief Bob Frink, the subject of the note on the photo by the way, was Lt. Col. Wise's sergeant major with the Safeside function in Vietnam.

Both are memorialized in Security Forces History as the founders of the program.

Here's a scarce early USAF women's uniform. It belonged to an Air Force officer, a nurse. The coat is dated 1952 and the skirt 1953. No date on the trousers or shirt, but I bought these direct from her and it is as she wore it in 1952-54. I asked about the hat and she said she sold that to another officer when she went into the Reserve in 1954, and never got paid for it. But it's still a nice intact set. The shirt uses removable button studs and they are missing, although there is a sewn-on collar button. The collar has a sewn-on blue tab that looks like a tie.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

The pants have an usual zipper system: there'sjust one track and it is used to adjust the waist size and hold up the front flap. There's an adjustable button flap behind the waistband (probably in case that strange zipper fails).

8.jpg

Regrettably, I can't.

The information that I have at my finger tips only says that Lt. Col. Wise was a sergeant in the Army during the assault on Normandy Beach.

Chief Bob Frink, the subject of the note on the photo by the way, was Lt. Col. Wise's sergeant major with the Safeside function in Vietnam.

Both are memorialized in Security Forces History as the founders of the program.

Thanks, D-Day. That would mean either the 2nd or 5th Ranger Battalions, just not getting any hits in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-01658800-1448860493.jpg

Technical Sergeant Harry M. Cohen in 1969, Cohen wears either the Sage Green Utilities or the Olive Green, hard to tell, also hard to tell with his qualification badges too, don't look like the White on Blue types, could be those White on Sage Green types. Tapes? can't see them, but maybe Subdued Black lettering on whatever material.

Cohen died in the line of duty in a freak accident at Utapao AFB, Thailand.

19 July 1969 - TECHNICAL SERGEANT HARRY M. COHEN. At Detachment 12, 38th ARRS, Utapao AFB, Thailand, an HH-43 Huskie is scrambled in response to a bomber emergency during a heavy rainstorm. The crew includes Technical Sergeant Cohen and Staff Sergeant Tommy Miles, pararescue men/firefighters. The bomber has aborted a heavyweight takeoff and has run off the end of the runway, its forward gear collapsing and catching the aircraft on fire. The Huskie approaches the nose of the bomber, hovers momentarily, then proceeds to hover three or four hundred yards from the scene. The crew is unable to get confirmation that the bomber's tail-gunner cleared the wreckage so they return to the scene. They make a fly-by, clockwise around the tail of the bomber at about 200 feet, and are westbound at approximately 500 to 600 feet from the bomber when the bombs explode. Shrapnel and debris tear the rotor system from the helicopter and it crashes, killing the pilot and Sergeant Cohen. Miraculously, Tommy Miles survives with massive life-threatening injuries, but after extensive surgery he returns to pararescue duty and eventually retires after a long and successful career.

No.

On this uniform they would be either white with black lettering or blue with white lettering. The badges are white on OD Green.

I would suspect that this is an official Air Force photo of some type because the OD green fatigues are pressed.

It is of that era when Combat Controllers and PJs wore their jump wings on their berets. The Huskie flights were not intended for combat rescue but rather for base or close to base rescue with firefighters.

No.

On this uniform they would be either white with black lettering or blue with white lettering. The badges are white on OD Green.

I would suspect that this is an official Air Force photo of some type because the OD green fatigues are pressed.

It is of that era when Combat Controllers and PJs wore their jump wings on their berets. The Huskie flights were not intended for combat rescue but rather for base or close to base rescue with firefighters.

Roger

1955 photo of Gen. James H. Doolittle with a Master Sergeant sporting the rank chevrons worn 1950 to 1992 with three stripes below the star.

Nothing about this photo or the soldier's profile suggests Air Force service to me, yet this soldier appears to be wearing Air Force enlisted collar discs. He served in Korea with the 3rd Infantry Division from 1952 to 1953 so the picture would be from that time frame. Being a black and white photo, I guess he could be wearing a blue Ike, but if so, would he be wearing the DUIs' and leadership tabs? Any thoughts?

http://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=Profile&type=Person&ID=8231

Also he has his ribbons backwards

The book title Into the Blue gives me away as that's my chosen screen name. I appreciate the comments that have been made and I want you all to know that we have worked hard to please you, the historians, collectors and family interested parties. There is now a second volume out and a third will be out if I get a KITA (kick in the well enthusiasm) to finish it. The title of volume three will be From Fatigues to the ABU. I hope it will meet with your approval and expectations. To all veterans thank you for your service.

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but somehow missed the notification that you had responded! Thanks for the info on the beret. I've had numerous accounts of the FIRST beret and the wearing of the conventional EM hat piece as well as those who "...received my beret but noting came with it and no instructions as what to wear on it. So we just took our "Master Blasters" and stuck them on!"

What I was trying to say in the book was that numerous units and personnel, especially in VN wore black berets just because they could.

BTY volume 3 Fatigues to the ABU, the DVDs went out today for proofing and should be in Schiffer's catalog in Spring. Although, I recommend Amazon as their price is lower than the price I can get them from Schiffer as the author! Vol 3 was getting so big I had to split it off into another volume (4) which will Combat Defense Forces, SPEC OPs etc., and their field equipment, Safeside and Safe Guard.

Hope you like them

All my best to those who have served. I'm getting to the age that those of us that served together are getting scarcer, just lost two more this week including Mike Gullon featured in volume 2.

Best

Lance

attachicon.gif8 Ball Squad.jpg

These Airman pose for one in Korea, date unknown. While the one on the far left is wearing your standard issue Army uniform, OD Wool Type, for field wear, the other two, appear in utilities, coveralls with the fronts just buttoned open right? almost looks like they're two separate garments right. Looks like the Airman 2nd Class also has something stenciled over the pocket, can't make it out to good, USA or USAF?? with maybe his name below??

Also note the Eight Ball patch. Eight Ball Squad :lol:, or was this a real AF unit? seen some references to a WWII Bomber unit.

The Airman Deuce on the right looks like he is wearing a jacket that I have. It is an Ike style jacket made from a pair of HBT coveralls! It has a mix of Burst of Glory metal buttons and where replacement was needed it has fatigue buttons! I wondered WHY? Now I can see why. Where did the photo come from? I would like to use it in my book with attribution to who has it. Hope that helps and hope you can help me find the photo!

Thanks

Lance

The Airman Deuce on the right looks like he is wearing a jacket that I have. It is an Ike style jacket made from a pair of HBT coveralls! It has a mix of Burst of Glory metal buttons and where replacement was needed it has fatigue buttons! I wondered WHY? Now I can see why. Where did the photo come from? I would like to use it in my book with attribution to who has it. Hope that helps and hope you can help me find the photo!

Thanks

Lance

I'll have to look around again it was a random find, and I forgot where I found it.

Hi, thanks for looking. I doubt that there are many floating around. It is a very interesting jacket even if not regulation. It will be I'm my upcoming volume 3 of into the blue in the chapter on coveralls. Here's a photo of the one I have.

Thanks again

Lance

post-157361-0-31149400-1449515215.jpg