Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

attachicon.gifGeorge-Sponsler.jpg

A George Sponsler USAF, 100th Missile Maintenance Squadron, May 1964 – May 1968, phot I gather taken at Lackland in 1964, with that Light Blue Rope (one used by the Army Infantry) being a training unit insignia.

That rope is probably green instead of blue. Green ropes were worn by student leaders in USAF technical schools in the mid 60's. The green rope was usually a barracks leader and a red rope would be worn by the shift leader. And a yellow rope was used, but I don't remember what the designation was for that one, My memory is a bit foggy about all this after all those years. These were only used within the squadron and not worn after graduation from tech school.

That rope is probably green instead of blue. Green ropes were worn by student leaders in USAF technical schools in the mid 60's. The green rope was usually a barracks leader and a red rope would be worn by the shift leader. And a yellow rope was used, but I don't remember what the designation was for that one, My memory is a bit foggy about all this after all those years. These were only used within the squadron and not worn after graduation from tech school.

You may be right Lee, this portrait does have a "Colorized" quality to it, it being what I believe a 1964 portrait.

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-07165100-1439140736.jpg

I posted this one a ways back in post # 502 page 21. While relooking at it, I'm noticing the Sergeant's got some kind of badge on his pocket, anyone what it is? For a reference point, foto is from August 1953, and in Orleans France.

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-17450600-1502934185_thumb.jpg

Micheal G. Paget, wears the medical Whites with full color insignia throughout circa 1973-74, and along with garrison cap. Paget as a Staff Sergeant, a Medical Technician with the 9th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron out of Clark Air Force Base PI was killed on April 4 1975 in the air disaster during Operation Babylift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Tan_Son_Nhut_C-5_accident

• 3 weeks later...

Another CIB wearing AF guy sometime in the late 60s early to mid 70s. Here this senior NCO from what we see had to have earned it in WWII, and out in the Pacific, as he wears no ribbons for Korea or Vietnam, only WWII with an A&P ribbon with what appears to be either three campaign stars or two stars and an invasion arrow.

post-34986-0-89491000-1504585990.jpg

post-34986-0-07165100-1439140736.jpg

I posted this one a ways back in post # 502 page 21. While relooking at it, I'm noticing the Sergeant's got some kind of badge on his pocket, anyone what it is? For a reference point, foto is from August 1953, and in Orleans France.

The Master Sergeant is wearing the first style NATO Allied Air Forces Central Europe. The attached pictures show the two varieties of the badge. The type 1 badge depicts the flags of the seven member nations of AAFCE. Notice the Canadian Flag is the older type, replaced in 1965 by the current Canadian Flag. The type 2 badge shows the new Canadian Flag

post-14361-0-08987000-1504629997.jpg

post-14361-0-90811600-1504630008.jpg

Good Job Cookieman, that's it.

Now another question, who would in the U.S. Air Force would be wearing it? Staff of the USAF HQ in Europe? Photo by the way if you didn't know was taken in August 1953 at Orleans France, however this M/Sgt's exact unit wasn't mentioned.

I think it is the Coast Guard Auxiliary Achievement award, but I have no idea what the device is.

VolunteerArmoury

I think it is the Coast Guard Auxiliary Achievement award, but I have no idea what the device is.

If the ribbons are original to the uniform, has anyone looked at National Guard awards to see if it's one? We know USCGAUX awards aren't authorized on AF uniforms though we don't know if this guy abided by & adhered to regs. It reminds me of a German award but I've not been able to find it. There're some German badges that have ribbons (unauthorized ribbons from what I understand) for as well as badges.

What's the red ribbon and it's device please?

64dc22ceeb457c1b3d9644804a0a7793.jpg

NY State Long & Faitful Service. Given out for every 5 years of service. This one has the obsolete round device with Roman numeral numbers, this one is XV (15) years.I think in the 80s the change the devices on all medals to a NYS shield, bronze(1) & silver(5).

Here's a Airman from the early 50s, circa 1951 or 52, at least that's what I been told. His name is Barney DiMaio, the late brother of one of my neighbors who lent it to me to scan, I was noting the wear of the Khaki tie and belt still.

post-34986-0-99904600-1505009954_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

post-34986-0-51474700-1508037384.jpg

A 1950s stateside Airman, wearing the OD HBT coveralls again, with garrison cap and GI WWII era ankle boots, could be richly polished to seem dark Brown. or they may be Blackened???.

I enlisted on 1 July 1955. Upon arriving at Sampson AFB NY, I was issued 3 sets of OD HBT hairingbone coveralls with 13 star metal buttons. They were called fatigues, not coveralls. We were also issued two pairs of broganS (not ankle boots). They were black and had to be spit shined at all times. A few guys in our flight who had smaller shoe sizes were issued brown rough suede brogans. These were dyed bkack, scraped and spit shined.

In my book Into the Blue I related a story my uncle told me. In 1949 basic he was given a pair of brown brogans and a bottle of blk dye. "Her kid strip 'em down and dye 'em black." The new accoutrement color for the USAF was black. At least he didn't have to scrape them smooth. The advantage of big feet?

Thanks guys about the boots info, as this refers to the brogans, did this apply to the high top combat boots that some AF personnel had to wear on occasion? you know those personnel who served in ground combat, combat support units along side the Army and maybe with Marines if needed, IE Forward Air people, Engineers etc. This would not so much the WWII buckle top boots worn in the early 50s/Korea period, but in particular the new M1947 boot.

As an Air Policeman, starting in early 1956, we wore jump boots. These were the same as the Army Airborne Troops wore, except in black. They had a capped toe, and brand of choice was Cochoran.

As an Air Policeman, starting in early 1956, we wore jump boots. These were the same as the Army Airborne Troops wore, except in black. They had a capped toe, and brand of choice was Cochoran.

Did you dye them?