Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

Hi Folks: Since I'm retired USAF...served from 1972-76 Active duty, two years Naval Air Reserve 1976-78 and then came back in the USAF Reserve in 1996 with 18 yrs break in service......wore the fatigues, BDUs and then ABUs...retired 2013 with 23 yrs....

I always liked the USAF uniforms and later.....I recently picked this USAF Tropical TSgt jacket up...and I'd like to date it...by the contract data....(see attached pictures)

Stock Number: 8405-205

Contract QM 8843-01-1051-C-57

My guess...."57" is the year 1957????

Oh, yes, the "Frank Buck Bring 'em back alive" jacket. My uncle had some of these in his duffel. I think they were all dry rotted for being in the attic for so long.

When did the Air Force use the black visor caps?.....I bought one a few days ago in unused conditition and is made by Berkshire....It's all black with a silver colored chinstrap...It has a soft crown, but I assume it's lacking a stiffener.....I would guess it's was made for formal wear....Bodes

27 B-52 bombers were launched from its runway June 18, 1965. The aircraft initiated Operation Arc Light, bombing missions over North and South Vietnam to strike Viet Cong base operations and enemy troop concentrations and supply lines. Arc Light missions continued for eight years.

74405618612860cdae1289d5b3ed2d52.jpg23b5b63dbfb581880bf2fb192001eaca.jpga45abfb661e3eda0673d924174afabf0.jpg033510a9eda46abe37e2a84990083d00.jpg

Man that Tokyo tailord tan is awesome!! I always find it wierd that jackets of this Era are seldom named...

Thank you. Yes, it's a shame it isn't named.With a DFC I would assume a fighter pilot.

Bodes asked a question about USAF Officer visor caps with a "black" cover and a white cover....with silver chin-strap. I also own one and I was wondering also. There is one listed in Ebay but I don't rely on Ebay as my source of info. Here is what is listed in Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351443401390?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Thanks,

Hi Bodes and Folks: I just found this info about USAF Mess Dress Black & White uniforms...

The Mess dress uniform is worn to formal or semi-formal occasions such as Dinings-in, Dinings-out, the annual Air Force Ball, weddings and other formal functions where civilian "black tie" would be prescribed. Until the early 1980s, this uniform differed from the current version, previously consisting of separate mess jackets, a white mess jacket worn in spring and summer and a black mess jacket worn in fall and winter, combined with black trousers and ties for males and an options of a black cocktail length or black evening length skirt for females. Black cummerbunds for males and females and white and black service hats for males were also prescribed, although wear of these hats was often optional. The current mess dress uniform in use since the early/mid-1980s consists of a dark blue mess jacket and mess dress trousers for males and a similar color evening length skirt for females.

This does answer the question

Thank you. Yes, it's a shame it isn't named.With a DFC I would assume a fighter pilot.

Why would you assume it was to a fighter pilot? Pilots of other types often were awarded the DFC. The DFC was sure not restricted to fighters or any combat aircraft type.

Why would you assume it was to a fighter pilot? Pilots of other types often were awarded the DFC. The DFC was sure not restricted to fighters or any combat aircraft type.I was thinking DFC &

Yes.I know that. But I was thinking a DFC & 4 AM's. But yes he could have been a helicopter, bomber, FAC, Transport, etc...pilot.

Hello, picked this up from EBay probably 12-15 years ago, probably mid to late 1950's maybe earlier. It's not bad for about $40.00....

This one's really interesting to me. I'm not saying it's a put together but the owner definitely had to have had an interesting career.

The Combat Infantryman means he had to have been in the Army in the Pacific at some point in World War II as there are no ribbons for Korea. The American Defense Service Medal with bronze star could signify a member of the Air Corps serving in the Philippines at the outbreak of the war who was pressed into service as an infantryman and earned the CIB. However, there is no Philippine Defense Ribbon. Or he could have been an infantryman who served in Hawaii before Pearl Harbor perhaps with the 25th Infantry Division. But the Berlin Airlift device on the Army of Occupation ribbon means he was in Europe postwar and probably with the Air Force by then.

The Air Force Commendation Medal was created in 1958 and he has two of those awards, so they would both have to have been earned after then. When did the Air Force quit wearing the Ike?

Also, when and how would he have earned a Navy Commendation Medal? Not to mention the Army Good Conduct and Army of Occupation ribbons are way out of order.

post-1761-0-10007600-1481924994.jpeg

The "short" blue Ike was phased out in 1964. That was the year I went in. Would loved to have worn it I was THIN then and it would have looked good. Some of the older members were starting to personally phase out there wearing as when you get older and develop an "over hang" it's not the best look personally. However, that said the phase out of the Ike was not popular among some as the minutes from the June USAF Uniform Board: "Officers and enlisted were not enthusiastic about phasing out the Ike jacket." Even so the phase out date of 31 May 1964 was established by the board.

The Navy Commendation does throw you for a loop but there are surprisingly many who served in two or three branches during their career. In the late 60s there was a article in the Stars & Stripes about an NCO who had served in the Army, the AF and was re-upping as a MARINE! A gluten for punishment!

The other ribbons are correct. The Army commendation may have been awarded to him prior to 1958 when the USAF decided to award a USAF commendation medal of it's own. As to the good conduct medal the AF awarded the army medal until it decided to issue an AF specific medal. A side note is that in 2006 the AF decided to phase out the good conduct medal as "All airmen are expected to display good conduct without the need to award a medal for their expected conduct." Their was such a hue and cry that the USAFGCM was re-instated in 2009 and back-awarded to those in the three-year gap. You will find AF uniforms with both Army and AFGCMs. As to his Berlin Air Lift device it was awarded to those who participated in the endeavor from June 28 1948 to 30 September 1949. In July 1949 Congress authorized the Medal For Humane Action (AKA the Berlin Airlift Medal. It was specifically authorized for those who served in the geographical boundary of Berlin during that period. When awarded this medal the Airlift device was superseded and was not to be worn with MFHA. However, you see it often and it appears that no one bothered to inforce it!

Great uniform with lots of "caricature!"

When I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich. in the late 60's we had a Staff Sergeant our squadron who had been in the Army, Navy and Air Force. He said his original intention was to make all 5 services, but by the time he had finished the first 3, he felt too old to survive Marine Corps Boot camp. The Marines don't accept any other services basic training. He was already in his mid 30's by then, so that ended his progression thru the services. No Marine Corps or Coast Guard. People who have served in two branches were VERY common in the Air Force back then and when you factor in the overlap of Army ribbons being used by the USAF well into the 60's, you can get some really interesting racks.

When I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich. in the late 60's we had a Staff Sergeant our squadron who had been in the Army, Navy and Air Force. He said his original intention was to make all 5 services, but by the time he had finished the first 3, he felt too old to survive Marine Corps Boot camp. The Marines don't accept any other services basic training. He was already in his mid 30's by then, so that ended his progression thru the services. No Marine Corps or Coast Guard. People who have served in two branches were VERY common in the Air Force back then and when you factor in the overlap of Army ribbons being used by the USAF well into the 60's, you can get some really interesting racks.

The Guard is like that now. We had dudes there were prior Navy, Marines, Army and Coast Guard.

Lee, you are right and I can't imagine going through MC boot camp at 30! We did have a USAF Lt.Col. retired who joined the Sheriff's department at 47 and he had to do all of the required PT that the young kids did. He passed!

• 1 month later...

The "short" blue Ike was phased out in 1964. That was the year I went in. Would loved to have worn it I was THIN then and it would have looked good. Some of the older members were starting to personally phase out there wearing as when you get older and develop an "over hang" it's not the best look personally. However, that said the phase out of the Ike was not popular among some as the minutes from the June USAF Uniform Board: "Officers and enlisted were not enthusiastic about phasing out the Ike jacket." Even so the phase out date of 31 May 1964 was established by the board.

The Navy Commendation does throw you for a loop but there are surprisingly many who served in two or three branches during their career. In the late 60s there was a article in the Stars & Stripes about an NCO who had served in the Army, the AF and was re-upping as a MARINE! A gluten for punishment!

The other ribbons are correct. The Army commendation may have been awarded to him prior to 1958 when the USAF decided to award a USAF commendation medal of it's own. As to the good conduct medal the AF awarded the army medal until it decided to issue an AF specific medal. A side note is that in 2006 the AF decided to phase out the good conduct medal as "All airmen are expected to display good conduct without the need to award a medal for their expected conduct." Their was such a hue and cry that the USAFGCM was re-instated in 2009 and back-awarded to those in the three-year gap. You will find AF uniforms with both Army and AFGCMs. As to his Berlin Air Lift device it was awarded to those who participated in the endeavor from June 28 1948 to 30 September 1949. In July 1949 Congress authorized the Medal For Humane Action (AKA the Berlin Airlift Medal. It was specifically authorized for those who served in the geographical boundary of Berlin during that period. When awarded this medal the Airlift device was superseded and was not to be worn with MFHA. However, you see it often and it appears that no one bothered to inforce it!

Great uniform with lots of "caricature!"

Lance. On your statement "The "short" blue Ike was phased out in 1964" What would of the been Regs governing the wear them up to that date? Did people really still wear them in the early 60s? In the Army the IKE was out by the early 60s, very early, with a cut off 1 October 1960, with the new Army Green 44 uniform being standard, but even before that date nobody really wore them anymore, certainly not in formation or as a duty uniform if the Class A was prescribed. So very interested on how it was in the USAF of the day.

Not sure about the active duty Air Force, but Civil Air Patrol personnel (mostly cadets) continued to wear the Shade 84 Ike Jacket as late as 1966. I was a PA Wing Cadet then and remember it.

What about the version worn by SPs in the 70s?

Not sure about the active duty Air Force, but Civil Air Patrol personnel (mostly cadets) continued to wear the Shade 84 Ike Jacket as late as 1966. I was a PA Wing Cadet then and remember it.

What about the version worn by SPs in the 70s?

Thanks flyboy, was there a photo or photos floating around here of SPs in IKEs?