Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

11 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

The Master Sergeant shown here is wearing post-1948 rank insignia along with World War II collar insignia.

Air Force.1940's.NCO.California.jpg

Sean any dope on this Old Timer?

12 hours ago, patches said:

Sean any dope on this Old Timer?

No, other than I believe he was a member of the California Air National Guard.

Members of the West Virginia Air National Guard’s 167th Fighter Squadron are seen at Lockbourne Air Force Base, near Columbus, Ohio, in June 1950.  Note they are wearing a mixture of Army and AIr Force chevrons, including three different styles of Army chevrons. I can't make out what type of collar devices they are wearing. 

Air Force.167th FS.6-1950.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Great Shot of an Airman (Probably Air Police as he's wearing a Leather Pistol Belt) in the late-sh 50s early-sh 60s on guard duty with a Blue Snorkel Jacket armed with the M2 Carbine, looks like he is wearing a Sage Green Ridgway Cap as well, location unknown. What would this jacket be by the way

Cwar6a.jpg

President Kennedy arriving at Pope AFB, North Carolina in October 1961. Note the Chief Master Sergeant wearing the Combat Infantryman Badge.

Air Force.Pope AFB.1961.Air Force One.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Current transition ike listed on Etsy (of course I took a screen shot, but forgot where I saved it to). 10th and 6th AF patches. 

IMG_3977.jpg

14 minutes ago, easterneagle87 said:

Current transition ike listed on Etsy (of course I took a screen shot, but forgot where I saved it to). 10th and 6th AF patches. 

IMG_3977.jpg

A real nice one, we can guess this guy served in the 6th AF in the war, and later afterwards in the 10th AF, 10th AF at the time Brookes Field Texas , Offutt Air Base Nebraska Texas Benjamin Harrison Air Base .Indiana. In te transitional uniform period the seem to have worn the combat patch and organizational ones in the familiar way starting at wars end, its after the new blue uniforms come out that they seem to wear the combat patch on the right shoulder, but sometime we do see the organizational ones there

• 1 month later...

A Still from the 1960 Elvis movie GI Blues, we imagine most of the personal are real USAF Personal and not extras, not sure but this may be on location in West Germany, where? Looks like one of the Blue painted Air Force Jeeps there.

GI_Blues-Airplane-2.jpg

These photos are from 1947, so they might technically predate the creation of the U.S. Air Force. However, they do show what the Air Force looked like at the very beginning. 

Air Force.Truman.1947.1.jpg

Air Force.Truman.1947.2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

August 1967. Brig. Gen. Louis T. Seith, left, Air Force Academy commandant of cadets, goes over ambush plan of attack with Army Maj. Hugh Socks, a Vietnam veteran, serving as technical adviser for cadets combat training. Note the pocket patch the general is wearing. 

Air Force.Academy.Commandant.1967.1.jpg

The photo caption says this is a group of Air Force enlisted personnel reaffirming their oaths of enlistment at Mitchell Air Force Base, New York in 1951. Note the female in front and at least one of the men in the rear appear to be wearing the gold cut out collar insignia while the rest are wearing solid collar insignia, althought the ones that appear to be cut out may just look that way because of the lighting.  

Air Force.Gold Collar Insignia.Female.1.JPG

Air Force.Gold Collar Insignia.Female.2.JPG

• 1 month later...
easterneagle87

Picked up this photo yesterday. I dooooo luv  these Cold War photos! Check the shorts out! 

I passed this photo up in May, but couldn't resist yesterday.  B-47 , Bubba Boy! 

Bubba boy B-47.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Men of the Maryland Air National Guard 175th Tactical Fighter Group interestingly undertake riot training in 1967. See how they are armed with M2 Carbines at this time.

ujuiii.jpg.9f3a81876a5116d2e6a7e357d0ff79d3.jpg1628431256_175thTacticalFighterGroup.jpg.8c32eaf11d632be6676b328b9818fb6e.jpg

1964 Captain Rabbi Nathan Landman the Air Force's Jewish Chaplain for France, Spain, and Libya, examines the traditional shofar and other High Holy Day religious equipment prior to taking off from Evreux-Fauville Air Base to Tripoli, Libya on the first leg of a 3,000 mile circuit in which he conducted eight Yom Kippur services at five bases before returning to Evreux to celebrate Yom Kippur there.

af-jewish-kit.jpg

Cadre and Students and we guess two of the Dept of Air Force civilian workers of the Air National Guard Non Commissioned Officers Academy 1969. Anyone know where this was located? And did all Air Guard NCOs come here from allover America?

130601-Z-ZZ999-009.jpg

11 minutes ago, patches said:

1964 Captain Rabbi Nathan Landman the Air Force's Jewish Chaplain for France, Spain, and Libya, examines the traditional shofar and other High Holy Day religious equipment prior to taking off from Evreux-Fauville Air Base to Tripoli, Libya on the first leg of a 3,000 mile circuit in which he conducted eight Yom Kippur services at five bases before returning to Evreux to a Yom Kippur there.

af-jewish-kit.jpg

Chaplain Landman retires from the Air Force in 1981, passed away at 87 in 2017.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/11251251/Nathan-Landman