Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

IntotheBlue

It also sounds like you're talking about Bonanza. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052451/

It was filmed in Hollywood with sets at Lake Tahoe. According to the story line the ranch was on the northeastern side of the lake. I was working at South Lake Tahoe PD in the early 70s and when the cast came up they frequented the south side and I me several of them I also met Jeannie (Barbara Eden) and all were all very gracious and very down to earth.

Ben Cartwright was the father and he was played by Lorene Greene (Odama in the first Battlestar Galatica).

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-69676100-1460690068.jpg

A MATS Sergeant/Airman 1st Class, circa? Early 50s-mid 50s, photo caption say it's the late Bob Ross of the Joys of Painting fame, the 80s early 90s PBS T.V. show, but I'm pretty certain it's not him, why? because Ross enlisted in the Air Force in like early 1961, and I don't think shoulder patches where still worn, was not an Aircrewman as far as I can see, and by the time Ross made E-4, it would of been well into the 60s, and by then the Air Force went over to the short sleeve Khakis without collar discs.

Here's Bob, some will remember him of course.

post-34986-0-81554300-1460690034.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross#Career_as_a_painter

Finally found an online image that I was looking for for awhile now. The EM Aircrewman being led away after being captured in North Vietnam. He's Bill Robinson, Interesting he wears only utilities, also he's wearing by this date September 1965 the White on Blue chest tapes, but see no Aircrewman wings, the White on Blue type, he wears the old MATS shoulder patch as a pocket patch though, and it seems it was common in these type units to do so in the early-mid 60s.

post-34986-0-28980100-1461287452.jpgpost-34986-0-69598000-1461287484.jpg

http://www.134arw.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123202607

One more tonight.

post-34986-0-80373800-1461289074.jpg

Another 60s/70s AF subject. In this case late 60s early 70s. John H. McCall III, McCall was KIA during the BAT21 mission, he was a Co-pilot of a Jolly Green Giant. McCall interestingly wears an Army badge of his right, unknown if it's an Aviator or Aircrewman Badge. As we see McCall in this photo is a Lieutenant, but has sometime in due to the ribbons, of course my AF ribbon IDing is not up to par, so can other ID that first one, the second we can see is the National Defense Medal, the one on the far end looks like an Army Good Conduct, it's possible then MCCall served first in the Army as a EM Aircrewman.

http://www.virtualwall.org/dc/CallJH01a.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Bat_21_Bravo

IntotheBlue

I find it very disturbing that you go to the official USAF bio website http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/ and you find hundreds of bios of Colonels and all of the General Officers but a bonafide hero such as Captain C

all is not among them. I guess giving your life doesn't qualify as being worthy of "About Us" biographies! Without the colors of the lead ribbon I can't quite tell but the others are his Army Good Conduct and National Defense. As an USAF Officer he wouldn't be eligible for the Good Conduct Medal so it appears he was Army enlisted being awarded the GCM during that period.

The Air Force Good Conduct Medal was authorized by Congress on July 6, 1960. However, the medal was not created until June 1, 1963 when the secretary of the Air Force established it. Air Force personnel who were previously awarded the Army Good Conduct Medal and after June 1, 1963 qualified for the Air Force Good Conduct Medal could wear both medals.

Capt. McCall's ribbons are from left to right: AF Outstanding Unit Award, National Def. Service Medal and AF Small arms expert ribbon.

I find it very disturbing that you go to the official USAF bio website http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/ and you find hundreds of bios of Colonels and all of the General Officers but a bonafide hero such as Captain C

all is not among them. I guess giving your life doesn't qualify as being worthy of "About Us" biographies! Without the colors of the lead ribbon I can't quite tell but the others are his Army Good Conduct and National Defense. As an USAF Officer he wouldn't be eligible for the Good Conduct Medal so it appears he was Army enlisted being awarded the GCM during that period.

The Air Force Good Conduct Medal was authorized by Congress on July 6, 1960. However, the medal was not created until June 1, 1963 when the secretary of the Air Force established it. Air Force personnel who were previously awarded the Army Good Conduct Medal and after June 1, 1963 qualified for the Air Force Good Conduct Medal could wear both medals.

True, for instance McCall in the BAT21 WIKI is not Blue Highlighted, nearly missed his name.

Capt. McCall's ribbons are from left to right: AF Outstanding Unit Award, National Def. Service Medal and AF Small arms expert ribbon.

You are absoulotltly correct Lee, if he had the Army GC, it would be the lead ribbon, and not behind the NDSM.

post-34986-0-52957100-1461336990.jpgpost-34986-0-97545500-1461337003.jpg

Now any Idear on that Army Wing, a Army course Grad?

all is not among them. I guess giving your life doesn't qualify as being worthy of "About Us" biographies!

It's a good point, but I think going way back the biographies were only prepared for general officers and senior commanders by USAF Public Affairs, to give to the press, and they simply dug those out of the file cabinets and put them online. It would be a really worthwhile project for them to expand the biographies as you suggest, though.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good point, but I think going way back the biographies were only prepared for general officers and senior commanders by USAF Public Affairs, to give to the press, and they simply dug those out of the file cabinets and put them online. It would be a really worthwhile project for them to expand the biographies as you suggest, though.

I disagree.

Speaking as a former PA type who wrote such biographies, the emphasis was always the unit's command staff (to include senior enlisted advisors), general officers, senior executive corps, and those Air Force members who participated in a base speaking bureau.

Biographies were/are always approved by the member -- just like official photos -- and there is a vetting process. Without that approval, the document would always be unofficial, making such a project useless.

If you are looking for biographies of other prominent Air Force members, especially those of historical significance, perhaps the better place to look for information would be the Air Force Historical Research Agency at Maxwell AFB, AL, or the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. Even then, unless the document was approved, it may be a collection of information from several sources.

Here's two more for tonight.

post-34986-0-44529100-1463543134.jpg

1950s with that HQ ETOUSA patch.

post-34986-0-49183900-1463543150.jpg

And a 70s AF guy, with the formal look with White shirt and Black Bow tie, don't the aiguillette for is, do you?

Without knowing more, I would suspect that the white one would mean base or unit honor guard.

The ribbons are Vietnam era. The uniform is enlisted semi formal.

firefighter

http://www.af.mil/News/Features/Display/tabid/273/Article/143725/living-legends-celebrate-air-force-heritage.aspx

This site has some nice uniforms.

http://usafflagranks.com/index.html

6a10cbdc9c6ef50331cfca732bed1460.jpg

As one of the first to serve in the Women in the Air Force (WAF), Airman Bettye Krieter was activated during the Korean War. Krieter retired from the Air Force Sept. 29, 2011, at Patrick Air Force Base, FL, with a total of 63 years of federal service. (U.S. Air Force)

dd2ee848dc424d1e9d8fcff7b08bb00d.jpg

Morgan Freeman 1955

Without knowing more, I would suspect that the white one would mean base or unit honor guard.

The ribbons are Vietnam era. The uniform is enlisted semi formal.

ROGER

post-34986-0-92981400-1464494142.jpg

An interesting foto, these are apparently Japan bound AF EM replacements for the war in Korea circa 1952. They're flying out to Japan from a stateside Air Base, I think the McChord Washington State? Interesting too, that some appear to be wearing field jackets, and fatigues but with the Service Caps rather than field caps, while at least one of them is wearing some kind of Dark Blue flight jackets, while another one seems to be wearing an OD overcoat over his fatiques (the one on the left bending over). Note too they all have donned chutes before take off. The one guy looking at the camera is one James Cook, can't find no more on him

The dark blue "jacket" is actually a short parka with fur around the hood.

ROGER

Hey what's the Ship? it's a big transport right?