Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

This is one of MAJOR GENERAL EARL L. JOHNSON's Uniforms. It is slightly different from the one he is wearing in the official portrait of him found online. The jacket is date stamped as the 13th of January 1970. He was was promoted to the rank of Major General in may of the same year.

post-14225-0-56379400-1456459204.jpg

doinworkinvans

Man those are so beautiful. I really, really am digging these shade 84 blue uniforms. These have to be 2 of the best examples on here! Keep them coming everyone!!

doinworkinvans

I think those are in the main posted already on an individual basis in the Uniform section proper.

Actually this thread is in the "uniform proper" forum. If you look back at the threads beginnings, it is full of actual examples and its intended purposes.

For odd insiginia combos and questions and patch combos and questions maybe it would be better here...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166035-uncommon-and-obscure-combat-patches-being-worn/

Actually this thread is in the "uniform proper" forum. If you look back at the threads beginnings, it is full of actual examples and its intended purposes.

For odd insiginia combos and questions and patch combos and questions maybe it would be better here...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166035-uncommon-and-obscure-combat-patches-being-worn/

Right. also right that these original example should be posted here, and not scattered around in individual topics, but I guess that would be ok if a member had a 50s-60s uniform that needs IDing and critiquing, and it might be a long topic with a dozen or more replies.

Not the best picture but I don´t have a nice display yet.

Colonel Thomas H Gunn, USAAF/USAF 1942-70. He was in 8th Air Force, 91st BG during ww2 as a B-17 pilot.

post-9415-0-29456400-1456516799.jpg

doinworkinvans

Another great example! I swear I could look at these all day. The longevity of their careers is amazing and I feel that they really tell a complete story over the years....from dark green to dark blue!

Another great example! I swear I could look at these all day. The longevity of their careers is amazing and I feel that they really tell a complete story over the years....from dark green to dark blue!

Exactly, that's what attracts me to these uniforms is the sheer amount of history in them... I'm hanging out for someone to post a ww1, ww2, Korea and Vietnam USAF Blues on here... That would be the ultimate!

Here is my only USAF Uniform from an airmen who served in WW1, WW2 and Korea. Its a bit rough but I certainly am not complaining. It belonged to a the chief public relations officer of the 5th air force in Korea. Someone had put his captains bars on it when I found... when in actuality he attained the rank of major after doing some research.

post-14225-0-99931700-1456522904.jpg

post-14225-0-75092900-1456522914.jpg

post-14225-0-66227600-1456522975.jpg

Great uniform Konig,

The reason why I like USAAF uniforms is that my grandfathers 1st cousin was a p47/51 pilot in the pacific during ww2, he enlisted in march -42, released in dec. -46, reenlisted in july 47 and served to nov. 63.

Cool... I'd like to see that uniform... The only mustang uniform I have is of a USAF Navigator who served in the 339th All Weather Fighter Squadron which operated the F-82 Twin Mustang.

Cool... I'd like to see that uniform... The only mustang uniform I have is of a USAF Navigator who served in the 339th All Weather Fighter Squadron which operated the F-82 Twin Mustang.

This is the only war time picture I have on him, he´s standing at a friends plane.

post-9415-0-06875900-1456527117.jpg

Referring back to an earlier discussion about ATC 'Flying Ice Cream Cone" Instructor's Badge, thought I would share an unusual variety. The following picture depicts USAF Instructor Badge used at one of the schools supporting US involvement in the Mutual Defense Assistance Pact.

post-14361-0-95251900-1456696174.jpg

USAF - FIELD MODIFIED JUNGLE JACKET STRIPES:

Quite a few years ago, a friend, CMSgt Fred Hurst, gave me a pair of stripes he had worn in Viet Nam. What makes them interesting is how they were modified. Starting with a standard set of US made Master Sergeant stripes, a clever sew girl converted them to Chief Master Sergeant's stripes. As depicted in the picture, you can see where the two top stripes, embroidered on OD green material, were added to the MSgt stripes.

post-14361-0-71006700-1456696813.jpg

USAF - FIELD MODIFIED JUNGLE JACKET STRIPES:

Quite a few years ago, a friend, CMSgt Fred Hurst, gave me a pair of stripes he had worn in Viet Nam. What makes them interesting is how they were modified. Starting with a standard set of US made Master Sergeant stripes, a clever sew girl converted them to Chief Master Sergeant's stripes. As depicted in the picture, you can see where the two top stripes, embroidered on OD green material, were added to the MSgt stripes.

Very nice unique.

post-34986-0-89238300-1456812857.jpg

A bit of help needed with this one, it's of one Cornelius J. Mara, Colonel, he went on to be a Brigadier in 1952. Unsure if he's wearing an AF uniform or Army, he does wear a Khaki tie right, not Black. Mara was Assistant Military Aide to the President Harry S in 1949-53 he looks to be wearing the Aide BOS badges, but in a voided disc? If so then portrait should date from 1949 when he was Asst Military Aide, to the time he made BG, which was September 5 1952.

Here's two pages on him, one where foto was found, the other, the USAF site, this last page gives his service bio.

So what the story.

attachicon.gif58-73.jpg

A bit of help needed with this one, it's of one Cornelius J. Mara, Colonel, he went on to be a Brigadier in 1952. Unsure if he's wearing an AF uniform or Army, he does wear a Khaki tie right, not Black. Mara was Assistant Military Aide to the President Harry S in 1949-53 he looks to be wearing the Aide BOS badges, but in a voided disc? If so then portrait should date from 1949 when he was Asst Military Aide, to the time he made BG, which was September 5 1952.

Those are the 1946-1953 version of the POTUS aide insignia, they had a ring with 48 stars around the device.

http://www.emersoninsignia.net/files/Download/18AidesInsig.pdf

BTW a good trick for telling Army from USAF coats in B&W photos is the Army lapels are peaked, the AF are notched.

Justin B.

Those are the 1946-1953 version of the POTUS aide insignia, they had a ring with 48 stars around the device.

http://www.emersoninsignia.net/files/Download/18AidesInsig.pdf

BTW a good trick for telling Army from USAF coats in B&W photos is the Army lapels are peaked, the AF are notched.

Justin B.

Yes thank you Justin, I also found this was posted quite a while back, and explained, my mistake :o

Post seen here at #293

• 4 weeks later...

This always typified the 1950s Air Force for me :P :lol:

From 1958, No Time For Sergeants.

post-34986-0-73748500-1459397382.jpg

Will Stockdale: Hey, Ben. Maybe you'll get to like the Aare Force. Zoomin' around all over the sky - and shouting, "Roger" and "Wilco" and everythang. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Benjamin B. Whitledge: BAD!! You know what they call men in the Air Force?

[Will shakes his head no]

Benjamin B. Whitledge: AIR MAN!! Like somethin' out of a dang funny book!......AIR MAN! How you gonna like it when somebody calls you "AIR MAN"?

Will Stockdale: By Dang I just don't think I'll stand for it!

Anybody remember what 50's western TV show the guy who played Ben was in? And his real name?

Yes of course, he's Nick Adams, He was in the Television series The Rebel. He was also the Young Polish DP who what's to be an American soldier in the 1962 movie Hell is for Heroes and eventually is taken on.

post-34986-0-16344300-1459450363.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Adams_%28actor%29