Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

As per Wailuna's request.. Here's a piece I picked up many years ago from a friend.. He had bought most of the estate..

This is the March 15, 1951 dated Size 43R USAF Ike jacket of Brigadier General Olbert F. Lassiter. General Lassiter did his first military service in the 30's with a 2 year stint in the Florida National Guard. Then spent 2 years as a radio operator in the Marines. He became an aviation cadet and won his wings and was commisioned a 2nd Lt in May, 1940. His first solo flight was at 15 in 1935 in an Aeronca. He served in both theatres flying 36 combat missions in P-38's, B-25's, and finishing the war flying 29 more combat missions in B-29's. He left the Army when the formation of the USAF came about and retired in the late 60's early 70's. He held the record for the World distance and speed in 47 and still heldolds it for prop driven aircraft, in distance without refeuling. He broke the trans-world record in 48.

He did the stunt flying in several movies in the 50's including a P-38 in the Hollywood movie "A Guy Named Joe,". Later he flew in scenes for the movie "Women Courageous," and in 1952 he was technical adviser for Paramount Studios' production "Strategic Air Command," starring James Stewart. The two men later worked together on "Cowboy 57," when General Lassiter was a B-52 wing commander at Westover Air Force Base, Mass. He held several commands in SAC including being the first SAC commander at Thule in Greenland. He was also a test pilot and SAC project officer at Edwards and flew over 300 aircraft including prop, turbo-prop, jet, and rocket driven experimentals. One of his last commands was as commander of the 801st Air Division, Lockbourne Air Force Base, Ohio unti 1963. That is near me and how the stuff got here to begin with. I have a bullion SAC patch somewhere and a pair of Delta Footware jungle boots he had. I'll have to dig them out. Here's a few pics of the Ike and it's ribbon rack..

Fins.

He died in 73.. His service left a collection of USN/USMC, Army, and USAF awards spanning over 30 years..An odd group to say the least.

post-4106-1222883998.jpg

A close up of Lassiter's ribbon rack. It spans over 30 years of service with the Army National Guard, Army Air Forces, USMC, and USAF

post-4106-1222884130.jpg

Here's an early 47 era trasitional Ike. 46 pattern Ike with 3rd AAf and USAF Sgt stripes.. Hat came with it, Badge has 2 clutchback posts with flat faced WW2 type clutchbacks.. Ribbons are Army Good Conduct, American Campaign and WW2 Victory. Collar badges are the open type with outer ring. Both US and winged prop.. I have a transitional Officer's uniform too form the Berlin Airlift. I'll try to get photos of it

post-4106-1222894326.jpg

post-4106-1222894335.jpg

post-4106-1222894342.jpg

This came from the thrift store today: it's the pre-1965 USAF Summer Tan Shade 193 Service Dress uniform. The website at http://usafflagranks.com/usaf_summer_service_dress_coat.html has some very good details on these and, as they note, these look quite different from the khaki and tan uniforms worn by the Army or other services. These were replaced with year-round service dress blue uniforms

This one came with Captain's bars on one shoulder and above the the left breast pocket the outline of a pair of wings is clearly visible. Wonder who snagged those? The holes for the collar insignia are also quite visible. I have seen Marine Corps green dress uniforms on the rack with EGA's on the collars and when I came back later in the week the uniforms were still there but the EGA's were gone (these are the modern EGA's not worth anything). I suspect someone may have done the same with this coat. The coat actually turned out to be moth-free but the pant legs each had small moth holes near the cuffs.

af1001.jpg

af1001cubars.jpg

here's the wings outline: :(

af1001wings.jpg

The coat labels:

af1001coatlabels.jpg

And the trousers label:

a50101pantslabel.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a ca. 1950 USAF Ike with an interesting WWII Army legacy (from the collection of USMF member louie; posted with his permission. Link here to see another thread showing this and other transitional USAF uniforms with Army insignia.)

post-214-1286594538.jpg

post-214-1286594544.jpg

CNY Militaria

Uniform of LTC Ward Fleming, Pilot during WWII. His brother was a marine pilot that was KIA on Midway and awarded the Medal of Honor.

i_239.jpg

i_240.jpg

i_242.jpg

CNY Militaria

From the Album of a USAF Major in Korea during the War, having already served as a officer on the CBI During WWII--Majow Edward Ziff (Note his unique hat he often wears!).

Picture_027.jpg

Picture_055.jpg

CNY Militaria
As per Wailuna's request.. Here's a piece I picked up many years ago from a friend.. He had bought most of the estate..

This is the March 15, 1951 dated Size 43R USAF Ike jacket of Brigadier General Olbert F. Lassiter. General Lassiter did his first military service in the 30's with a 2 year stint in the Florida National Guard. Then spent 2 years as a radio operator in the Marines. He became an aviation cadet and won his wings and was commisioned a 2nd Lt in May, 1940. His first solo flight was at 15 in 1935 in an Aeronca. He served in both theatres flying 36 combat missions in P-38's, B-25's, and finishing the war flying 29 more combat missions in B-29's. He left the Army when the formation of the USAF came about and retired in the late 60's early 70's. He held the record for the World distance and speed in 47 and still heldolds it for prop driven aircraft, in distance without refeuling. He broke the trans-world record in 48.

He did the stunt flying in several movies in the 50's including a P-38 in the Hollywood movie "A Guy Named Joe,". Later he flew in scenes for the movie "Women Courageous," and in 1952 he was technical adviser for Paramount Studios' production "Strategic Air Command," starring James Stewart. The two men later worked together on "Cowboy 57," when General Lassiter was a B-52 wing commander at Westover Air Force Base, Mass. He held several commands in SAC including being the first SAC commander at Thule in Greenland. He was also a test pilot and SAC project officer at Edwards and flew over 300 aircraft including prop, turbo-prop, jet, and rocket driven experimentals. One of his last commands was as commander of the 801st Air Division, Lockbourne Air Force Base, Ohio unti 1963. That is near me and how the stuff got here to begin with. I have a bullion SAC patch somewhere and a pair of Delta Footware jungle boots he had. I'll have to dig them out. Here's a few pics of the Ike and it's ribbon rack..

Fins.

He died in 73.. His service left a collection of USN/USMC, Army, and USAF awards spanning over 30 years..An odd group to say the least.

That is an awesome piece, with an exceptional ribbon bar!

• 2 weeks later...
Here are official pictures of Col. Edward W. "Jonesy" Szaniawski previously posted elsewhere by Forum Support (and added here with his permission ~~ link here).

The bottom pictures are dated Dec. 6, 1955 (left) and Aug. 3, 1961(right), which give useful reference points for dating USAF transition era wear of DUC over the right pocket (Army practice) vs. over left pocket (current USAF practice). The exact date that the DUC migrated from right to left side of USAF uniforms has never been published on the Forum but is usually stated as "late 1950s" or "early 1960s" ~~ Col. Szaniawski's 1961 picture supports the later dating, although there might have been a lengthy "wear-out" period for existing right-side DUCs (and maybe especially for crusty old war heroes).

Notice in the right photo that the Korean PUC was worn ahead of the Army PUC which I don't believe would have ever been authorized by regulations since foreign awards take precedence after U.S. awards.

post-1761-1226329252.jpg

...Notice in the right photo that the Korean PUC was worn ahead of the Army PUC which I don't believe would have ever been authorized by regulations since foreign awards take precedence after U.S. awards....

Good catch, seanmc1114, and an interesting question.

The earliest source I have on the wearing of foreign decorations is AR 600-40 (ed. Mar. 31, 1944), which has this to say on precedence: "...when worn [foreign decorations or service medals or ribbons] will be placed on the left of all United States decorations and service medals..." (and presumably "on the left" means on the wearer's left). Of course, this directive predates the existence of the gilt framed foreign unit citations eventually approved for U.S. acceptance and contemporaneous rules on position and precedence might have been different. Someone on the Forum surely has a 1950s vintage Officer's Guide that will shed light on this subject. One thing is sure, however, these foreign unit awards aren't easy to pin down.

Just to confound matters, here are interesting variations on the theme of how to wear the U.S. Distinguished Unit Citation with the ROK Presidential Unit Citation in USAF ca. 1950s (borrowed from elsewhere in this thread):

post-1963-1226343329.jpg post-1963-1226343311.jpg

post-1963-1226343348.jpg

Who had it right?

A poker game somewhere on the FEBA in Korea ca. 1952/53, showing Airmen in fatigues wearing an eclectic assortment of caps (as well as cheating at cards). Note also that the A2C second from left has a pen pocket on his left sleeve and the Airman in the center has epaulettes on his fatigue shirt.

post-1963-1226570403.jpg

A couple of ex-soldier Airmen watching the Bob Hope Christmas Show at Keflavik, Iceland, in !955. The A2C on the right is wearing the SSI for Hqs. ETO/US Forces European Theater, indicating Army service in Europe during WWII. The A2C on the left is wearing the well-known 1st Cavalry Division SSI and Combat Infantryman Badge, indicating combat service with 1st Cav during WWII or Korean War (source: The National Geographic Magazine, March 1957.)

post-1963-1226804411.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Early WAF recruits at Lackland AFB ca. 1949 - '50.

On parade, December 1949:

post-1963-1228812684.jpg

And, in barracks, September 1950:

post-1963-1228812716.jpg

Source: Life Magazine

• 1 month later...
Captainofthe7th

As per request I am proud to show off my recent aquisition!

M/Sgt Garabed Kassabian enlisted in 1939 for the Phillipene Dept. and in 1942 was attached to the 15th Bombadier Sqdn, the unit that flew the first bombing mission of the war. Apparently he stayed in until at least 1951. Here is the link to the topic and following are the two most descriptive photos.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=34934

DSCF1458.jpg

DSCF1446.jpg

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

A 1960s USAF white mess jacket attributed to an unnamed Chief Warrant Officer (CWO4) ex-USN.

post-1963-1234341375.jpg

post-1963-1234341389.jpg

Originally posted by USMF member "DutchInfid3l" (link here).

• 2 weeks later...

Late 1950's fatigue shirt of A1C Kruiter, an aircraft electrician on the F-89 Scorpion, 29th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Montana. Buttons are metal with stars. White name tag with stamped last name and job title.

post-1949-1235092368.jpg

A pair of 1961 WAF nurses in work uniforms. The blue outfit was worn while performing flight nurse duties.

And the dress uniform, 1961.

Photos taken at Otis AFB, Mass.

post-1949-1235093705.jpg

post-1949-1235093802.jpg

A flightsuit wearing WAF nurse. The handbag is regulation too.

Group of nurses in dress uniform.

Otis AFB, 1961

post-1949-1235093904.jpg

post-1949-1235093955.jpg

Here a picture of me in a Class A summer uniform issued in 1955.

post-5609-1235242052.jpg

Picture of me in Ike Jacket 1955

post-5609-1235242506.jpg

Me in one piece fatigues 1956 and two piece fatigues 1957

post-5609-1235242942.jpg

post-5609-1235242956.jpg

Me in winter parka 1957.

post-5609-1235243188.jpg

post-5609-1235243217.jpg

Me in non-issue flight jacket and two friends in issue field jackets. 1957

post-5609-1235243380.jpg

Here is another picture of the winter parka. Left to right Sgt Heitman, Sgt Eason, and Airman Gray. Taken 1957 Landstuhl AFB Germany

post-5609-1235249553.jpg

• 1 month later...

Brigadier General George W. Goddard, ca. 1953. Gen. Goodard was a highly regarded pioneer of aerial photography and photo reconnaissance from the time of his enlistment as a private in the Army Air Service in 1917 until his ultimate retirement from active duty in the mid-1950s. His SSI is hard to see in this picture but it might be the USAF Air Material Command patch (without the tab), where Gen. Goddard was assigned in July 1953.

post-1963-1238181468.jpg

post-1963-1238181482.gif

• 2 weeks later...
jumillavino

i, i'm a new member of this site and i need some help to identify the origin and age of an article;

> I bought by ebay a us air force shirt of WWII and i

> would like to known if is original and the age of this article. These

> are the photos:

>

> http://rapidshare.com/files/219050481/camisa.doc

At first is curious that the button was the model "Burst of glory" used in the WWII ARMY uniforms, but the insignia is of major sergeant of us air force. The shirt dont have any label. ¿is it a reproduction?

>

> Thanks a lot.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know the "wear-out" date for Army uniforms being worn in the USAF? There is an Army four pocket coat with the 1948 chevrons sewn on it at a local antique mall and I am thinking about getting it. What would have been the last date that these were authorized for wear?

...Does anyone know the "wear-out" date for Army uniforms being worn in the USAF?

I have a complete run of USAF directives on this subject but they are out my reach right now. Maybe someone else can answer sooner, but in the meantime, 1952 is my recollection of the approximate year of mandatory switch to USAF blues. A 4-pocket OD service coat probably would not have been worn in the USAF anywhere near that long, as it was long out of issue even in the Army, in preference to the Ike jacket. More later.

...Does anyone know the "wear-out" date for Army uniforms being worn in the USAF?
...I have a complete run of USAF directives on this subject but they are out my reach right now...More later.

Here's the rest of the story:

Regarding the Army pattern 4-button OD service coat for enlisted men: Not authorized for USAF wear as of September 1, 1948, at the latest. The governing USAF directive was Air Force Letter No. 35-4, dated September 1, 1948, entitled: USAF Uniforms for Male Personnel. The prescribed USAF winter uniform for enlisted men was "Jacket, Winter: Serge, Army shade No. 33, as issued..." (in other words, the OD Ike jacket) along with trousers of matching material and the other uniform articles comprising the standard Army winter uniform for enlisted men. In fact, AFL 35-4 explicitly states that then current Army uniform regulations would continue to apply in the USAF until further notice. (Note: According to Emerson, the Army stopped general issue of the 4-pocket service coat during WWII in favor of the Ike jacket, except for limited use in special units, such as the U.S. Constabulary in Germany.)

Regarding the mandatory cut-off date for USAF wear of Army pattern uniforms: July 1, 1952. The USAF directive announcing this policy was Air Force Letter No. 35-46, dated April 8, 1949, entitled: The New Air Force Uniforms for Male Personnel. Key points from this directive:

"The new Air Force blue uniforms, shade #84, winter, and the new summer uniforms...may be purchased and worn immediately by officers, warrant officers, and airmen...Distribution of the new blue uniforms will be made to activities as soon as stocks are available; however, general issue to airmen is expected on or about 1 September 1950...

"On or after 1 September 1950, the new uniforms...are authorized for wear at all times, by airmen, regardless of station or assignment. Initial issue of the Army-type uniforms will cease on or about the above-mentioned date, provided that all practicable usable stock has been declared economically unserviceable through fair wear and tear by that date...All military personnel of the Air Force are authorized to wear existing Army-type clothing until 1 July 1952; thereafter, the new Air Force uniforms as prescribed herein will be required for wear by officers, warrant officers, and airmen."

Regarding insignia worn by USAF enlisted men during the transition: Either Army or USAF insignia was authorized, depending on the local situation. The governing directive was Air Force Letter No. 39-25, dated 23 August 1948, entitled: USAF Enlisted Insignia. The policy: Enlisted men will continue to wear [Army] insignia items currently issued until new [uSAF] insignia authorized below are available at a particular Air Force base or installation in quantities sufficient for a complete issue to all enlisted men at that activity. Issue of the new insignia will then be made." In practice, it is likely that USAF chevrons began immediately to appear on USAF Army-pattern uniforms as they were commercially available.

This picture shows an group of airmen wearing blues soon after they became generally available for issue in September 1950:

post-214-1286596862.jpg

post-214-1286596870.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going through duffle bags found these in the first three I rechecked. Have more, but have to go through them again. First is a 1st A.F.

post-470-1250896322.jpg

post-470-1250896351.jpg