Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

.....these were my Dads AF cap badge and collar insignia. After his service as a medic in WW2. Sometime between then and Korea he joined the AF Reserve. He was activated during the Korean Conflict and spent time in Columbus, Ga. He said the group he was in trained air crews on C 47's. His rank was TSgt. None of his uniforms survived. I do remember a bag down in the basement. It disappeared when I was 8-10 years old. I would like to put the cap badge on a hat for display. Not sure if the proper hat would be Army od, tan or AF blue?

IMG_20220727_181212.jpg

Corporal Charles J. Heimann in the transitional period wearing the Air Material Command patch, and the Khaki Tie and Garrison Cap still.

ooo.jpg

A sateen shirt attributed to SrA Parnell JR. 

Theater made name tape, and i think the shirt is private purchased. 

EDAAA830-42FA-4E7B-A92D-854A2DDD397D.png

EFA7F83A-7791-46AD-8F9A-1E38D8913808.png

3 hours ago, beefheart said:

A sateen shirt attributed to SrA Parnell JR. 

Theater made name tape, and i think the shirt is private purchased. 

EDAAA830-42FA-4E7B-A92D-854A2DDD397D.png

EFA7F83A-7791-46AD-8F9A-1E38D8913808.png

What is the purpose of the solid White tape, is it sewn on?

5 minutes ago, patches said:

Hello Sir, thats the question i want to know also. It’s sewn directly to the shirt and ita been there forever. 

Maybe some information stamped there early on, but get washed out. 

CB72ED50-AAA3-4DF6-B206-F87B74715601.png

AA28B336-EEAC-4B45-A359-CFB50EF1EBD2.png

1 minute ago, beefheart said:

Hello Sir, thats the question i want to know also. It’s sewn directly to the shirt and ita been there forever. 

Maybe some information stamped there early on, but get washed out. 

CB72ED50-AAA3-4DF6-B206-F87B74715601.png

AA28B336-EEAC-4B45-A359-CFB50EF1EBD2.png

Odd, seeining its a 50s worn shirt maybe it was intended to stencil unit abbreviations on it???

Master Sergeant Secundino Baldonado wearing early In Country stuff, ODs with OD Cowboy Hat with Metal Rank on it, Blue Bib etc.

Baldonado died in the catastrophe at Bien Hoa May 16 1965

bal.jpg

BaldonadoSx01e.jpg

I didn't know Chuck Yeager did a cameo on I Dream of Jeannie, but he did,, and as himself in the March 1966 episode Bigger Than a Bread Box and Better Than a Genie,

Chuck.PNG.eace1496c0b67043136fe8396ad9b58a.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

....found a picture of my Dad in his Air Force days. I'm still working on his time.  I know his group was activated in May 1951. Not sure when he joined. His Army discharge was in Feb 46. Sometime between this and May 51, just haven't pegged a firm date yet. This picture is dated 1950? The uniform looks khaki, may still be US Army with a black or maybe AF blue tie, w/blue AF dress cap?

20220815_161700.jpg

On 7/28/2022 at 9:16 PM, patches said:

I have a few old shirts with the white tape and while typically having a name stenciled upon them, said tape might have a unit name, the specialty of the wearer ("Sheet Metal", etc.), or both. Here is one such example from a post I made years back. Your shirt does show evidence that the tape was at one time stenciled, but it either faded or was scrubbed off. Fatigue shirts back then usually had only chevrons; name tapes and other adornments were not worn to any USAF standard. 

PS. The rank is either a Sergeant or Airman 1st Class (A/1C). Judging by the white tape and the shirt's style, I would argue that he was an A/1C - that rank was in effect until 1967.

df.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a series of photos from snapshots that are currently for sale on e-Bay. They all seem to be from the same time/location. The enlisted men are wearing the transitional collar insignia. I assume they are gold, but in some of the photos they look to me like they are silver, especially in the second photo. Maybe it's just the lighting. And note the board in the first and last pictures show the date 22 August 1951.

Air Force.Enlisted Collar Brass.Transitional.1.jpg

Air Force.Enlisted Collar Brass.Transitional.3.jpg

Air Force.Enlisted Collar Brass.Transitional.4.jpg

Air Force.Enlisted Collar Brass.Transitional.5.jpg

Air Force.Enlisted Collar Brass.Transitional.6.jpg

Air Force.Enlisted Collar Brass.Transitional.2.jpg

The date on this photo is 1949. The e-bay listing says "cast and the crew of the touring company of the stage production Hamlet, posing with military officers in front of Air Force plane at Westover."

Air Force.1949.Westover AFB.jpg

Air Force.1949.Westover AFB.2.jpg

Two sets of the Sage Green shirts with Tapes, one from around 1964 with the Stenciled White ones, and another worn post 1965, Truncated Sleeves with the Blue ones.

sage greee.jpg

sage greeee.jpg

sage green u.jpg

sage grrre.jpg

sage greenn.jpg

5 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Airwoman (or is it female Airman?) wearing the transitional collar brass and Army rank insignia. From a 1950 magazine.

Air Force.Female.1950.1.jpg

Air Man! Like somethin' out of a dang funny book! 1893444780_emoticonlaugh.png.9d7c53130c3ef5610c566146d4050eb4.png

notimeforsergeants1958.16906.2.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Another unknown. Note the different colored shoulder cords.

Air Force.Berets.Unknown.jpg

The uniform is 1505 and I'm betting these are a combination of basic trainee or tech school class leaders and PJ candidates. I can't remember what they all stood for. A green rope was a squad leader, yellow was next and red was the flight leader. In my era, the white and blue ropes were student leaders for those students in casual status. The blue scarf meant completion of the basic PJ orientation, but I'm not sure about the berets. These guys could be PJs. They also could be SPs.

• 1 month later...

A 50s NCO by the name of Charles H. Vaughn, a Vet of the Army's 87th Infantry Division now in the Air Force, no other info on if he was in the Regulars or the Air Guard or Air Force Reserves, nor his unit in the Golden Acorn Division.

Charles H. Vaughn.jpg