Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

Am unknown Air Police unit photo in the 50s, check out the wear of the Cap Devices on the painted helmet liners by one and all, the Officers too. When one sees these Air Force liners with Cap Devices on them around the Helmet Forum it is thought with good reason that the liner posted is an Honor Guard thing, but in this case we see it is and can be a Unit thing. A guess is liners are Dark Blue with Light Blue Bands, but interesting that the Officers do not have the Band on theirs.

5256206_orig.jpg

912919_orig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And this incredible one, a 50s Bullion on Blue, possibly Worsted Wool with lighter medium Blue Felt behind Musket, made indubitably., specifically, for wear on a Air Force Dress Blue Uniform, origin unknown, perhaps Japanese or German made???

1090881895_usafbluecibj.PNG.4f2d2d45ffd1392848b36464b4e6d1b5.png

610865585_usafbluecibn.PNG.56b588271276d38d37a68f75e94d50c1.png

687373137_usafbluecib.PNG.2b9180d87a766f5f9c8c335cf4b15092.png

Salvage Sailor
On 7/12/2008 at 5:54 PM, gwb123 said:

5) USAF field jacket, similar to the M-65 but notice the difference in the collar. Note the large TAC pocket patch. But the neatest thing about this jacket is again the use of the reflective flight line tape, both on the front and back. I took this out at night and shined a light on it, and it lit up like neon. This was quite used. 1960s?

USAF_AA_Field_Jacket_TAC_small.JPG

USAF_AA_Field_Jacket_TAC_b_small.JPG

Gil,

I wore this same model of USAF jacket on cold mornings when I worked the graveyard shift making deliveries in the early 1970's with the big 'X' reflective tape on the back. I picked it up from a guy I worked with who was in the Air Force for about 12 years.  His last station was Udorn, Thailand and he told me the reflective tape was for men working on the flight line and runways.

1 hour ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Gil,

I wore this same model of USAF jacket on cold mornings when I worked the graveyard shift making deliveries in the early 1970's with the big 'X' reflective tape on the back. I picked it up from a guy I worked with who was in the Air Force for about 12 years.  His last station was Udorn, Thailand and he told me the reflective tape was for men working on the flight line and runways.

Sometimes that is referred to as "flightline tape".  I always thought it was a great idea.  Nothing like being around large pieces of moving equipment in the dark.  In the Army, when we were positioning vehicles, sometimes we have our flashlights on with the red filters attached to our LBE.  

Another one we found, this one sees further use in the 60s by adding White on Blue Tapes, like the type that came out sometime in 1965, shows the Sage Green Type still was worn then, though we might be inclined to think more in either the Reserves or Air National Guard then the Active Air Force.

1be47e_2d81a433ae474975ab79465936596af6_mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg

1be47e_57ddb6a1350e498d849a6cb5f706a741_mv2_d_3024_4032_s_4_2.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2021 at 8:30 AM, Edelweisse said:

That's a 36th Tac Fighter Wing (Bitburg AB, Germany) patch

No, as stated it's a USAF Academy patch. Many USAF wing patches in the 50s-80s incorporated the USAF seal into their design like the 36 TFW you metioned. But this is for sure the USAFA version.

Randy

afa 1.jpg

I didn't know this, that Captain Father Charles Watters USA MOH was originally a Chaplain in the Air Guard, the 108th Tactical Fighter Wing, New Jersey Air National Guard 1962-1964. Notice his NAME Plate say FR Watters, FR of course standing for Father.

kioi.jpg

A publicity shot for the 1957 movie Bombers B-52, With Natalie Wood, Karl Maulden, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. in his uniform and Rack.

Natalie Wood there looking lovely as ever.

bombers b-52 1957.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Steindaddie
On 3/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, patches said:

Another one, in a Bomber, Karl Maulden there in the back of the Cockpit. Wondering if his pocket patch is for a real unit!

That was indeed a real unit: the 329th Bombardment Squadron which was stationed at where the film took place, Castle AFB, CA. 

scan34.png

Steindaddie
On 1/19/2022 at 7:45 PM, patches said:

"...and name HOOD with what? Roster Number??? 

That is his unit: the 4081st Civil Engineering Squadron

usaf.PNG

• 2 months later...

Hello Fellow Members, I'm going through my US military items collections to sell in the near future, and I have an Air Force shirt that I can't fully identify. I think I remember that it was a government issue shirt customized in-country back in the early to mid 60's by adding pockets on the sleeves and embroidering as shown; however, I don't know for sure. Can anyone shed some light on it? I would appreciate it. Thank you.

P.S.  I'm adding a couple of extra pictures of the accessories, in case someone wants to see them up close.

Pic 01.jpg

Pic 02.jpg

Pic 03.jpg

Pic 04.jpg

Pic 05.jpg

Pic 06.jpg

Pic 07.jpg

Pic 08.jpg

Pic 09.jpg

Pic 10.jpg

Pic 11.jpg

• 4 weeks later...