Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

ItemCo16527

Definitely an odd one, patches. Maybe Army in WWII and then the Marines in Korea? I can just make out the ribbons for the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and Navy Presidential Unit Citation with star. Would love to know his name so I could try to research him.

12 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Definitely an odd one, patches. Maybe Army in WWII and then the Marines in Korea? I can just make out the ribbons for the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and Navy Presidential Unit Citation with star. Would love to know his name so I could try to research him.

Yes the view of the rack would determine if he has both the Army and the Marine Good Conduct medals.

seanmc1114
On 5/12/2021 at 11:39 PM, patches said:

Here's a just now find, a 1st Marine Division Veteran early 50s now in the Aar Force, but look, he's also wearing a CIB, Hmm wonder why, too bad we can't see his fruit salad.

turoe.PNG

On 5/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, ItemCo16527 said:

He he could have had former combat service in both the Army and Marine Corps, but my guess would be a former member of the 164th or 182nd Infantry Regiment of the Americal Division. The 164th was sent to Guadalcanal in October 1942 to reinforce the 1st Marine Division and the 182nd arrived in November. You can make out the ribbon for the Navy Presidential Unit Citation on his ribbon rack. Both the 164th and 182nd received that unit award.  I also see a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, but can't make out the rest.

Air Force.CIB.1st Marine Division.2.jpg

13 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

He he could have had former combat service in both the Army and Marine Corps, but my guess would be a former member of the 164th or 182nd Infantry Regiment of the Americal Division. The 164th was sent to Guadalcanal in October 1942 to reinforce the 1st Marine Division and the 182nd arrived in November. You can make out the ribbon for the Navy Presidential Unit Citation on his ribbon rack. Both the 164th and 182nd received that unit award.  I also see a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, but can't make out the rest.

Air Force.CIB.1st Marine Division.2.jpg

Thanks for the good enlargement Sean, now that we can see a close up,do we see both the Army Good Conduct Medal and the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal???

The Army one encircled in Green and the Marine one encircled in Red.

2112626013_AirForce_CIB.1stMarineDivision.2.jpg.551a9cab1abae99b694cab8772d5ced6.jpg

seanmc1114
16 hours ago, patches said:

Thanks for the good enlargement Sean, now that we can see a close up,do we see both the Army Good Conduct Medal and the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal???

The Army one encircled in Green and the Marine one encircled in Red.

2112626013_AirForce_CIB.1stMarineDivision.2.jpg.551a9cab1abae99b694cab8772d5ced6.jpg

Possibly but possibly not. Regardless, his ribbons are all out of order. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Possibly but possibly not. Regardless, his ribbons are all out of order. 

Man I wish we had more views of this guy right 1584394980_emoticonlaugh.png.6788167490e7208070e8285f775cbb95.png

• 2 weeks later...

These photos show several indicators of airmen during the period when the Air Force was fully transitioning away from its prior inclusion in the Army. This particular NCO is wearing the Army Combat Medical Badge, probably from World War II. He is also wearing the ribbons of the Distinguished Unit Citation and Philippine Presidential Unit Citation over his right breast pocket, Army style. Finally, he is being awarded the Army Commendation Medal which was awarded to members of the Air Force until the Air Force began issuing its own version in 1958.

The source of the photos show they were taken at Van Nuys Air National GUard Base, but don't give a date.   

Air Force.Combat Medical Badge.Van Nuys ANG Base.1.jpg

Air Force.Combat Medical Badge.Van Nuys ANG Base.2.jpg

Air Force.Combat Medical Badge.Van Nuys ANG Base.3.jpg

I like the insignia on the AIr Policemen's helmet liners. No idea what unit they indicate, but they were also taken at Van Nuys Air National Air National Guard Base sometime in the 50's.  

Air Force.AIr Police.Helmet Liner.1.jpg

Airman wearing an Alaska Air Command patch with an unknown tab. Based on his ribbons - National Defense Service Medal, AIr Force Longevity Service Award, and Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon - this would be sometime after 1963.

Air Force.Alaska Air Command.Tab.1.jpg

Alaska Air Command.1.jpg

easterneagle87
3 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Airman wearing an Alaska Air Command patch with an unknown tab. Based on his ribbons - National Defense Service Medal, AIr Force Longevity Service Award, and Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon - this would be sometime after 1963.

Air Force.Alaska Air Command.Tab.1.jpg

Alaska Air Command.1.jpg

Could be an “Alaska” tab

Col. C.E. Henry, vice commander of the 10th Air Force, Selfridge Air Base, Mich. and Col. Ben Lichty, Wing commander of the 131st Fighter Wing of the Missouri Air National Guard, inspecting elements of the 131st Fighter Wing when it entered active duty with the Air Force at Lambert Field, March 1, 1951.

Air Force.Missouri ANG.1951.jpg

Several NCO's wearing dress uniforms with bow ties along with one wearing an evening dress uniform which is of a consdirably darker shade than the others. Was it black? The photo caption says "1968 CMSAF Paul Airey visits his first Air Guard unit, the 167th TAG, WV ANG."

Air Force.NCO's.Evening Dress.jpg