Post-WWII 1950's & 1960's US Air Force uniform photos

Bob Hudson

...the backgound scene your group photo could certainly pass for for being Floyd Bennet Field, it has that same "Flat" appearance...

Thanks, Patches. Floyd Bennett Field it is unless someone pops up on the Forum who can positively I.D. another location for our mystery group. Good work.

Here's an odd one, not sure on the date, it is a photo of one Staff Sergeant Charles V. Christian, a former Korean War Combat Infantryman, he is wearing what? a Dark Blue shirt right, collar discs, Black neck tie, full ribbon rack (and the CIB), when was this ensemble worn? note his ranks appear to be merrowed edge, this would then date after 1968, he does look older than most,this would jibe with a very late 1960s into a 1970s taken photo. I don't think he's active Duty, he might, but for some reason I figure he is either an Air Force Reservist or an Air National Guardsman E-5.

post-34986-0-84472300-1362719056.jpg

DutchInfid3l

More bush jackets... Dated 1959

4125e6f4fb4a72e72644e90280ef07c2.jpg

Odd US insignia placement... Dated 1953

5a11dfa7629fe75c946102fdd44ca9b6.jpg

Veterinarians... Dated 1968.

15525f829bf28749ebb0bb99d31751e2.jpg

From the Air Force Historical Studies Office web site...

565b31fdf43c9b31a5eaf3ebbe804d77.jpg

c513b82a8406165cb552731bc0b0be94.jpg

Right sleeve SSI...

a1b9dc11fbfda7f33c233031831359a8.jpg

Thanks, Dutch. Great examples of full color period pictures from the earliest years of the transition. The foursome in OD truly is an authentic benchmark of this era, ca. 1948.

As for the “right sleeve” SSI worn by the PFC in khaki uniform, this is easily fixed by flipping the image, as shown below. Note in the original image (^) that the button placket on both uniforms opens the wrong way, to the wearer’s left side.

post-1963-0-37316300-1362723282.jpg

DutchInfid3l

As for the “right sleeve” SSI worn by the PFC in khaki uniform, this is easily fixed by flipping the image, as shown below. Note in the original image (^) that the button placket on both uniforms opens the wrong way, to the wearer’s left side.

post-1963-0-37316300-1362723282.jpg

Duh. So simple... *sigh.... Nice catch!!

...Nice catch!!

Here is a clipping from Air Force Times ca. 1951 that shows the same man in khaki (on the left), cropped from the same picture that you posted, and the same men (on the right) that were shown in USAF Blues in your original post, although in a different pose here with the Master Sergeant is now wearing an officer's uniform. Evidently, the original photographs used models (maybe even actual Air Force personnel) to showcase USAF uniforms in transition.

post-1963-0-02622600-1362726777.jpg

...when was this ensemble worn?

A blue wool flannel long sleeve winter shirt was authorized as early as May 15, 1959 (AFM 35-10), for wear “on base only.”

Someone else can sweat the details of an end date for this shirt but, based on personal sightings, this blue winter weight shirt was still being worn by USAF personnel assigned to some joint commands in Korea ca. late 1970s.

As for dating this picture, the “earliest” date clue shown here is the service star worn on the National Defense Service Medal ribbon, which was authorized in January 1966. As Patches points out, however, the presence of merrow-edged chevrons in this picture pushes the earliest feasible date out to ca. late 1960s at least. As indicated by his Air Force Longevity Service Award ribbon with three oak leaf clusters, this staff sergeant has between 16 and 20 years of honorable active or reserve military service with any branch of the United States Armed Forces. Surely he would have been pushing the limits of USAF’s up-or-out promotion policy by about 1970.

DutchInfid3l

What is that badge he is wearing over his ribbons?

[/center]

Found him again. Louis Laufer, US Navy 1945. Crash boat insignia?

add42d4df0a077ce356267b67dd110a6.jpg

...Crash boat insignia?

Great call, Dutch. Evidently that crash boat insignia was used by indiscriminately in the Navy and Army Air Forces during and after WWII and the USAF beyond that. Here is a sample of the pin as made with AAF markings (and no claim is made as to this sample’s authenticity).

post-1963-0-95938300-1362768586.jpg

And here is an interesting picture of an AAF crash boat crew ca. 1945. The boat’s officers are warrant officers, wearing a mix of standard Army uniforms for this picture, but the enlisted crew is outfitted as sailors, a practice that continued in the USAF until at least the Korean War.

post-1963-0-44453300-1362770142.jpg

Do you know if ex-Navy man Louis Laufer served in crash boats when he switched to USAF?

Thank's wailuna on the fine points, I was amiss in not pointing out some them reguarding the ribbons, when you seen this shirt being worn, were the collar discs being worn? or perhaps by that time in the late 70s they were no longer worn on this Blue long sleeve shirt. He is an old timer at that huh, maybe we can date the photo by his eye Glasses Nah, they are your standard " Clark Kents" circa mid 50s to when ?? they still used them in 1980, I got a pair at Fort Jackson, they did it in a day, filled the prescription in one day, I was there for only 5 for Reception.

...were the collar discs being worn....in the late 70s...on this Blue long sleeve shirt...

I need to exhume some old albums from the catacombs. Stand by, out….

I need to exhume some old albums from the catacombs. Stand by, out….

That's what you call it the Catacombs? I get a impression of The Bunker :lol:

...I get a impression of The Bunker...

The existence of The Bunker is Top Secret.

But your original question was about collar discs on the 1970s Blue long sleeve shirt and the answer is "No."

Here is the evidence from one unit album published in 1976 showing no “U.S.” discs but with chevrons on both sleeves, ribbons above left pocket and name tag above right pocket, and “Clark Kent” style eyeglasses (optional).

post-1963-0-45436300-1362880504.jpg

And here is another one (w/o ribbons and the “Clark Kent” eyeglasses).

post-1963-0-74492500-1362880521.jpg

Your out-of-step Staff Sergeant might simply have been in a part of the Air Force that didn’t get the word.

Thank's, hey what's that pocket badge on the top photo? the NCO looks like he's wearing enameled badge of some kind. So no collar discs by the late 70s, the Christian photo, I take it then it was taken a little earlier in the late 60s or early 70s, with the discs being ok to wear on this type shirt, that or Sgt Christian being a old long service soldier just couldn't break the habit of wearing collar discs on his shirts in the manner of the Army khaki shirt :lol:

DutchInfid3l

Do you know if ex-Navy man Louis Laufer served in crash boats when he switched to USAF?

I do not. I did however, find his vital info, I'll send off for his records and see what's available.

df48ed05c39ec7f3a532453b26c5f573.jpg

Thanks, Sarah, for another great contribution to this topic. It is never a dull moment when you post your new stuff, as absolutely demonstrated by the last three studio photos (evidently “colorized”) in this batch, starting with with caption “Brown visor and strap?”

Have we ever seen anywhere another attempt to photographically transform an Army OD Ike to Air Force Blue as we are presented here by this picture? Amazing.

A blue wool flannel long sleeve winter shirt was authorized as early as May 15, 1959 (AFM 35-10), for wear “on base only.”

Someone else can sweat the details of an end date for this shirt but, based on personal sightings, this blue winter weight shirt was still being worn by USAF personnel assigned to some joint commands in Korea ca. late 1970s.

As for dating this picture, the “earliest” date clue shown here is the service star worn on the National Defense Service Medal ribbon, which was authorized in January 1966. As Patches points out, however, the presence of merrow-edged chevrons in this picture pushes the earliest feasible date out to ca. late 1960s at least. As indicated by his Air Force Longevity Service Award ribbon with three oak leaf clusters, this staff sergeant has between 16 and 20 years of honorable active or reserve military service with any branch of the United States Armed Forces. Surely he would have been pushing the limits of USAF’s up-or-out promotion policy by about 1970.

This one picture got me to looking because I remember a much older SSgt {E~5} in our unit in 1970 who was a WWII vet. He seemed to have spent most of his time as a Reservist only activating during conflicts, in this case Vietnam. What I remeber about this SSgt was that he had an inordinate amount of ribbons topped with the Air Force Commendation and I think many of his other decorations were for NG or Reserve time which, if memory serves me correctly were not allowed on active duty uniforms. Which brings me to this other SSgt. I'm not trying to present an argument about whether he is right or wrong with the collar brass because I think he is technically wrong but may not have known it. I say that because many of us older guys in the '80s missed the change date for the 1960s blue service dress shirt to the newer styles with epaulets until we showed up for a funeral in service dress {about the only time most of us ever wore service dress} drawing quizzical looks from most folks about this odd shade shirt some of us had on.

Okay, I just yanked out two different style 1549 shirts with the older model having the collar brass and the newer MSgt rank. It also has the military creases through the breast pockets and no identifying labels. I believe this to be the 2nd generation because I have a couple more of even heavier material. The newest one has no insignia nor stitching and looks to be either unused or belonging to an airman basic. It is labeled Creighton.

Sorry I can't offer photos, I left my camera in Yuma yesterday at the airshow. Hope to have it delivered by Osprey later this week ;-}

“Official Fifth Air Force Photo” (dated 11 Dec. 1951). According to the caption, this Staff Sergeant was on duty with 49th Fighter-Bomber Wing in Korea. Wing F-84 Thunderjets had recently completed its 25,000th combat sortie against North Korean and Chinese Communist forces since July 1950. As the sergeant is wearing Fourteenth Air Force SSI, he evidently served with that command during WWII.

post-1963-0-21211200-1362969703.jpg

DutchInfid3l

These and the previous two posts are photos I've found while searching online... I tend to save any of note.

1f635adb33ac3aee28ef51e3f7ea5d60.jpg

48d9cbc4171eb6bf0123384bc99a9d06.jpg

I think the last one might be from '70 or '71

930ee9942c14c06218a5321fddebc466.jpg

Lack of US insignia. Listed as 1972...

b631a8974863c182be2a7a7a1db8da07.jpg

Love those blue shirt pics!

Has to be 1970's, look at there hair!

As for post 228, those WAF are wearing the WAC colors IMO.

Terry