WW1 US tents

steved409

I have a WW1 'common' size wall tent that has a contract tag of June 20, 1917. I have, to no avail, searched the net for info on this era of our military's tents (other than info on the shelter half). When was this style tent adopted? I believe I've seen photos of this one used on the border (PE) slightly before WW1. Is there any publication that lists the specs for these, similar to the 1889 Quartermaster book that's available in reprint that lists the specs for Span/Am tents?

Thanks,

SteveD

There is a 1916 Quartermaster manual that covers all the tents issued during the WW1 era. It comes up on ebay every once and a while. It is a two volume set. I'll see if I can scan the tent section in the copy I have.

Tim

A friend called just tonight. He also just today got a 1917 dated tent. I'd like to see whatever tent info you might have.

There is a 1916 Quartermaster manual that covers all the tents issued during the WW1 era. It comes up on ebay every once and a while. It is a two volume set. I'll see if I can scan the tent section in the copy I have.

Tim

Yes, I have Vol. 1 but couldn't find anything about tents. Must be in Vol.2? Going on a trip will check Vol. 1 a little closer.

SteveD

There are seven different type tents listed in the 1916 manual as well as just about every other peice of QM equipment you could think of.

Here are the tents:

First up TENT, HOSPITAL, TROPICAL, WITH FLY

post-192-1257473940.jpg

I did find some pics in Vol.1 but yours on here are better than the ones in my book!!! Thanks. Does it mention how far back (pre-1916) that they were adopted?

Looks like mine is "tent, wall, small"

SteveD

Hello Steve,

I'll check when I get home tonight to see if they mention when the tents were adopted. I doubt they do because they were more interested in simply cataloging what they had at the time. There are a few other sources I can check. There was an article in the Company of Military Historians publication on the tents issued during the Revolutionary War that mentions wall tents! It's been a while since I've read it so I'm going on memory for now. Also you might want to check out Doug McCristians book on the US Army during the Indian wars. If I remember correctly (again) he mentions the various tentage issued during the period. There was also a book by Frederick Gaede about the Federal Civil War Shelter Tent that mentions the other tents issued prior to and during the war. My main interest has always been on the individual equipment so I've mostly stuck to finding info on the shelter half.

Tim