Aircraft Fabric Insignia/Ebay Steal

Steindaddie

Here is nice artifact from the 5th Observation Squadron. It's 2 feet across, and is definitely suitable for framing. I found it on ebay listed as (get this) an old oil painting. There was no mention of aircraft, military, etc. I'm pretty sure it's the real deal. If not, well, it only cost $49.99 :thumbsup:

post-1949-1257363628.jpg

post-1949-1257363650.jpg

VERY COOL, and a great find !!! Question: what do you plan to do with it? is it for sale ?, I would be interested in it.

Dave

Nice one. It's definitely the real deal. Date lists a "crackup" at an airfield (can't remember which one up in Groton I believe) as 1931 which is when squadron was designated 5th Observation Squadron which is also written on moon. Should be easy to research the actual aircraft and pilot with the date. Was definitely cut from the side of the airplane. Saw this one myself, but trying to stay disciplined in my USN squadron patch collecting, so let it go. Even showed it to my wife and now she says "why didn't you bid on it?!" Oh well, hope you sell if for lots. With my luck it will have Billy Mitchell's signature on the back. :pinch:

Question: what do you plan to do with it? is it for sale ?, I would be interested in it.

I plan on keeping it. My wife is planning for me to sell it. We'll see who wins this battle.

Was this sold in the military section on eBay?

My wife was looking for old dishes and saw this insignia in the seller's other items. But it was listed in militaria.

A correction to an earlier statement of mine: the seller did in fact mention it was military related. But, no more than that.

I plan on keeping it. My wife is planning for me to sell it. We'll see who wins this battle.

My wife was looking for old dishes and saw this insignia in the seller's other items. But it was listed in militaria.

A correction to an earlier statement of mine: the seller did in fact mention it was military related. But, no more than that.

They always want you to sell the good stuff so can buy plants for the yard or a granite counter top!

LOL

Kurt

Here's some research on the Squadron:

The 5th Reconnaissance Squadron patch that you have is actually a replica of the 5th Strategic Reconnaissance Training Squadron patch, which was deactivated in 1991. They flew SR-71's, T-38's, and U-2's. The 5th SRTS was based at Beale AFB, California and it duties were taken up by the 1st RS, also based at Beale.

5reconsq.JPG

The 9th Reconnaissance Wing (9 RW) is a wing of the United States Air Force. It is located at Beale Air Force Base, California. The wing flies the U-2R Dragonlady and RQ-4 Global Hawk. It is also a descendant organization of the 9th Group (Observation), one of the 13 original combat air groups formed by the Army before World War II. During World War II, the 9th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) was an air combat unit of the United States Army Air Forces.

The group later served as both a reconnaissance group and bomb group of the Strategic Air Command, before being inactivated in 1949. Its lineage, honors, and history were bestowed on the 9th Reconnaissance Wing of the Strategic Air Command until September 1, 1991, when after nearly forty years the group was activated again as part of the 9th Reconnaissance Wing.

Reasonably successful as an observation aircraft, Falcons flew primarily in the 1st, 5th and 99th Observation Squadrons of the 9th Observation Group, Mitchel Field, New York. The A-3 Attack Falcon saw considerable use, in front-line service with the 8th, 13th and 19th Attack Squadrons of the 3rd Attack Group, Barksdale Field, Louisiana, and the 26th Attack Squadron in Hawaii from 1928 to 1934 and with reserve units until 1937.

And I think here is your aircraft:

post-7766-1257532557.jpg

I believe the aircraft used by the 5th Squadron would be the Curtis 0-1B "Falcon", or A-3, or 0-1E, here is the picture of the 9th Aerial Recon Squadron, which was a decendant of the 5th Observation Sqd at Mitchell field.

You can see by the color markings the squadron patch would be in the same place and could easily be cut-off after a crash scenario.

post-7766-1257533474.jpg

Excellent find, these are almost impossible to locate these days. On a trip to Duncan Campbells house years ago he took me up into his attic where he had a number of aircraft insignia that he has personally removed from aircraft, the attached HQ Bolling Field insignia was removed from an aircraft at Middleton Army Air Depot in the summer of 1933. Fabric was checked and removed every two years which allowed Duncan to obtain these from aircraft that were being overhauled. He asked me which I liked the best and I indicated that the HQ Roundel was very nice, he said "its yours", a cherished item that I will take to my grave.

If you can see some of the color of the fabric it will date it somewhat, these insignia date from the 30's. In 1934 the Army started painting its fuselages blue prior to 1934 they were brown. I think I can see a sliver of brown on the bottom edge of your insignia which would date it prior to 34.

Terry

post-6022-1257777857.jpg

post-6022-1257777884.jpg

A Curtiss O-1E (Air Corps Serial No. 29-286) from the 5th Observation Squadron crashed on Trumbull Field, Groton, CT, on August 21, 1931. Pilot was Elmer B. Tapley from Mitchell Field, NY.

Source: http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/1940sB4/1931.htm

If it would relieve your guilt any, I'd love to have it. Ben

The insignia arrived in today's mail and it must be from the aircraft you mentioned. (Thank you sir) Here's a close up photo and all the info checks out.

Yes, I am just wracked with guilt at the cheap price I paid (:rolleyes:) and I will seek counseling for my wicked ways. But for now, I just have to somehow live with myself.

post-1949-1257887917.jpg

An absolutely wonderful piece of US Aviation history. Its hard to fathom how rare this insignia is. I seriously doubt if there are more than a couple dozen original squadron insignia such as this that have survived over the years that are in private hands. You did well.

Terry