For the Submarine collector who has everything...

MWalsh

Check out this auction - truly for the submarine collector who has everything!

I will cut and paste the photos and description, in the event event the link does not work. It is most definately a unique piece! I have no idea what the true market value of the gems or pin is, beats me, but this IS a unique item I thought others may get a kick out of.

I sort of wonder if maybe there was not a sub officer on the Pickerel with those same initials, and that what truly came in this marked box was a jeweler made officers submarine qualification badge / dolphins, but the seller's info sure seems to fit the box too.

MW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Item number: 220499934584

Item location: SE COASTAL CT, United States

USN SUBMARINE RELATED ANTIQUE DIAMOND PLATINUM BAR PIN

Starting bid: US $2,999.99

Description: Antique diamond and platinum bar pin. The pin has important historical heritage as it was presented to Evelyn Standley, daughter of Rear Admiral William Standley at the July 7, 1936 launching of the submarine the USS Pickerel, SS 177 (P-6) at Electric Boat in Groton, CT. Evelyn Standley was the ships sponsor.

The leather covered presentation box is marked in gold on the top exterior with the initials “E. S.” for Evelyn Standley. On the inside the lining of the box is marked: U. S. S. PICKEREL, S. S. 177, JULY 7, 1936.

The bar pin is made of platinum with a center 1/3 carat Marquis cut diamond. There are two 5 point diamonds and about 60 chips. The total diamond weight is 3 carats. The diamonds are VS clarity (very slightly imperfect) and G/H color (near colorless) and old European Cut.

The pin is marked on the back “HW” within a larger “W” for the maker, Howard Whiting. It is also marked: PLAT. The USS Pickerel was commanded by Lcdr. A. H. Alston, Jr. and was the first submarine to be lost in the Central Pacific area. After setting out from Pearl Harbor on March 18, 1943 and fueling on March 22, 1943 the ship began her seventh war patrol off the eastern coast of Honshu. See was never heard from again.

Dimensions: The pin is 3” long and 7/16” wide. The box is 4 ½” long and 1 ¾” wide.

Condition: The pin has been recently professionally cleaned and in excellent condition. There is damage to the right top edge and minor damage of the left top edge of the case as shown in the photos.

post-440-1257265205.jpg