Guadalcanal vets grouping, WWII & Korea

Bob Hudson

The use of re-qualification bars has been around since the marksmanship program began. I found this one in the qual badge thread, provided by Bill (USMCR79) it is from BGen. Kenneth Inman USMC. I have seen both rifle and pistol badges with these bars date earlier for auction on ebay.

Despite this big stack of papers I could find no answer to this question.

docs_stack.jpg

Here's a couple of small documents I hadn't scanned earlier:

docs_receipt.jpg

docs_cards.jpg

I also found a couple of photos of "Mac" (somewhere in the papers i read that was his nickname) from the 60's. This first one is the middle third (or less) of a very large photo of a unit he served with in 1960:

Mac_Lejeune.jpg

Mac_LejeuneCU.jpg

This photo seems to be from near the end of his career:

Mac1960__s.jpg

Mac1960sCU.jpg

Well I think I have finally scanned and photographed everything in this grouping.

The M1903 that was with his medals in the shadowbox (which was a huge beast and I have removed everything from that) is cool little piece:

rifle1.jpg

rifle2.jpg

Here's his swagger stick, complete with the box it came in. This tips and EGA appear to be sterling silver (heavily tarnished, but I'll let the next owner decide if it should be polished).

swagger.jpg

To give you an idea of how big the shadow box was - this and a dozen 3-inch high Japanese carved ivory figurines were sitting on the bottom:

tuns_front.jpg

tuns_back.jpg

some loose items:

dogtags.jpg

boxes.jpg

That is the last of it, unless....

There was so much stuff in house that there may still be things tucked away. The house was full of turquoise and silver jewelry and the stuff to make it, as well as all sorts of collectible rocks and stones. The first public estate sale is the weekend and next week I will help the estate sale operators sort through more things preparatory to another sale, so there may be more to come out of the woodwork, although I have to say I got really dirty combing through the garage the other day (a two-car garage with barely room to walk).

I'm just glad that what we have found won't be going in 20 different directions starting tomorrow morning.

WOW !!

Fantastic grouping !! Its got just about everything you'd want to document a gallant marine's service...I think this is your collecting "bread-and-butter" type of group but...boy...if you ever choose to move this one out..... :think:

Really nice...thanks for showing !!

Vic

That is the last of it, unless....

You just never know.

This morning I am packing this up to send it to the forum member who is the new owner. There's a cardboard box holding a medal case and when and the lid was slipped onto the bottom part of the box so you could see the case. Well I removed the lid to place it on top and there were some papers in there, including one newspaper article about Sgt. McAndrew getting sketched at Talasea, Papua New Guinea by 2nd Kenneth B. Bald who, under his own name and as "K. Bruce" drew such comic strips as Captain Marvel and the Shadow. There's a lot about him out there including at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Bald

news_talasea2.jpg

It would be great to find the original drawing. I'll be back at the house this week helping pull out stuff for a second weekend estate sale. The halftone dots on the newspaper images makes it hard to tell what's going on so I did some Photoshop tweaking.

news_talaseamg.jpg

There was a smaller article also about Talasea:

news_talasea1.jpg

And then this article about Sgt. McAndrew in Vietnam in 1965. This is an original clipping and after finding it I search some online newspaper archives and found that it appeared in Pacific Stars And Stripes on August 10, 1965, and some newspapers in the US ran it as well. This clipping would have been from the newspaper here in Oceanside (home of Camp Pendleton):

news_nam1.jpg

newsnam2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The M1903 that was with his medals in the shadowbox (which was a huge beast and I have removed everything from that) is cool little piece:

post-214-1257479008.jpg

post-214-1257479019.jpg

I believe thats a M1 Garand not a M1903.