Vietnam War period M-1 Helmet

Andrei

Some shots of a M-1 helmet I brought back from my last trip to NYC, two weeks ago. This a Vietnam war period helmet with camo cover, the pot is a WW2 moveable bails and the liner is Korea war era.

Nothing tremendous but cover, pot and liner have been together for a long time and I dont have many lids that salty which could claim to have been untouched by collectors. I paid $30 in a downtown vintage store.

post-467-1257195766.jpg

I have a feeling the helmet was used in Vietnam , possibly a vet bring back

Thats a good feeling mate ! I like to think its a Marine vet bringback. Vintage WW2 pot without camo band holding the cover, it definitely looks Jarhead lid to me.

Hi Andreï,

Nice purchase ! :thumbsup:

Could you post some pix of the shell without cover?

Dan.

Mr Wilde, you are very welcome to come home, have a few beers and a get closer look at my helmets. I dont really wanna take the cover off but you could always look at it from a vantage point. :thumbsup:

Thanks all for your comments !

• 2 years later...

How did I miss this one! I love it! Good call on not taking the cover off! A shame to see that happen with these untouched Nam lids. Even more so to see early used lids with WWII parts get taken apart for a basic helmet shell or liner / liner part. Great lid. I really like the liner strap across the front of the liner, :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
RustyCanteen

How did I miss this one! I love it! Good call on not taking the cover off! A shame to see that happen with these untouched Nam lids. Even more so to see early used lids with WWII parts get taken apart for a basic helmet shell or liner / liner part. Great lid. I really like the liner strap across the front of the liner, thumbsup.gif

Justin, you can say that again. I have seen too many nice VN helmets ruined and reduced to parts because people want to "correct" everything.

Too bad they didn't know that a WWII era helmet or liner was "correct" for VN.

RC

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi,

I have what I believe to be a Vietnam M1, but I have never seen a snap d type chin strap on these. Also, there is a neck support as well. Could someone please help me identify this helmet? I have attached a few pics.

Thanks so much.

post-263014-0-22196800-1571859902_thumb.jpg

thunderbolts45

Liner looks to be a 1970's variant. The camo cover is either a ERDL or post Vietnam M81 woodland cover, hard to tell from the pic. - Kyle

• 5 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

That type of chinstrap was introduced in 1973 and was the last style of chinstrap adopted for the M1 helmet. The liner is the type with the snap in suspension which was introduced in 1972, and is also the last style used on the M1 Helmet. Helmet cover us woodland camouflage, introduced in 1981.