**The History Channel**

jj026

The History Channel,WW11 in HD premieres November 15. What makes this very special to me and my family is Corporal Archie Sweeney. Archie Sweeney,is my uncle and was killed in North Africa. For the last seven months,my family has been working with the History Channel. We been sending photos,letters,etc. to them. They even came to our house one summer day to show us a rough copy of the series,and ask to make any changes we wanted. They are very nice people. Check out the History Channel site. You will see Charles Scheffel photo/bio. That was Archie/s leader.

What a great story! I myself can not wait to see it! Sadly I will probably have to wait till the dvd comes out to really watch it but I cant wait the footage looks absolutely outstanding!

Andrew

History Channel Five-Night Event Premieres November 15 at 9/8c

Anyone who has cable can't miss this! I will be watching it on my new 48 inch LCD. :lol:

My Uncle Archie Sweeney is in the first two series.

*sigh* Sorry JJ I didnt see your other post about this! :pinch: Clapton you can delete this if you want.

I can't Wait it's going to be a great show, Thanks for helping thr history Channel out. You just made a great show even greater. Thanks!

screaming-eagle

Just watched the first 20 mins or so and i am pretty impressed, just thought i would remind everyone to turn on the history channel right now to watch

My Dad and I have been watching the past 2 days; we're gonna grab the DVDs as soon as they're available. Excellent stuff, with tons of premier footage!!

I find the series a little disappointing. Some nice color footage a haven't seen before but much of it obviously colorized black and white footage. Much of the footage is inappropriate to the battles supposedly being depicted. Including some real clunkers, like G.I.'s in a captured Opel driving down the Autobahn listening to Pearl Harbor broadcasts!! Or charred German civilian bodies depicted as victims of German bombing.

A worthy effort but I wish they would have done their homework a little better.

I find the series a little disappointing. Some nice color footage a haven't seen before but much of it obviously colorized black and white footage. Much of the footage is inappropriate to the battles supposedly being depicted. Including some real clunkers, like G.I.'s in a captured Opel driving down the Autobahn listening to Pearl Harbor broadcasts!! Or charred German civilian bodies depicted as victims of German bombing.

A worthy effort but I wish they would have done their homework a little better.

Quite correct sir. The producers of the show had good intentions, but I found that all of the footage they were showing was out of context and didn't flow together very well. :pinch: Not to say no one should watch it, I guess that I just have some what high standards. :ermm:

- Jeff

I try to watch the film and ignore the words. Like most they dwell on the Militarys mistakes and ignore the good. After saying how bad the beaches were and saying nothing about us wiping out the whole Japanese garrison. But I like the Helmets in the ETO. Maybe there were more painted Helmets than what everyone thought. R

We caught a couple of the episodes last night, but missed the first two. Pretty good show! Lots of neat footage. IMHO it is somewhat reminiscent of Ken Burns' "The War" but personally I think this is better.

Of course I am really looking forward to the Army Nurse segments.

I missed the first two Episodes on Sunday night since i was driving back from the Tulsa gun show and then last night we had a thanksgiving party at the Olive Garden so by the time i got home i got to catch one episode. hopfully i can paly catch up tonight. anyone know where the past episodes might be posted online?

Hi All,

For sure worth watching!! Yes, it has some mistakes in its photography and was some were colored in, but overall a lot of newer pics worth seeing. The personal stories are great too. Thank God for men like Cpl. Sweeney!

Terry

I've seen it all so far. The color film is great. The real treat is the personal accounts. I don't want to butcher his name but the old infantry Captain (Scheffel?), is just great. I'd love to meet him.

Very sad about Stiles. He beat the odds and survived all those bombing missions and then was killed flying a Mustang, and it was in all likelyhood his own fault.

After watching the series and given it's imperfections I think the real value for people like us is owning the DVD and being able to pause and look at individual images at leisure. Did anyone notice the nice color shot of a FSSF man at Kiska wearing the Kiska Task Force and Arrow Head patches? Lots of nice juicy color shots of helmets, field gear, vehicles, etc., etc.