Radio receiver headset--ANB-H-1

Hellcat

Hello folks,

Dont know if this is the correct forum for asking, but.... I have a radio receiver set ANB-H-1, with an HB-7 leather covered, spring steel headband(dont know if that is the correct term for it). Wiring is cloth covered with a single PL-354 plug. Where, what, how was this used? Application? Helmet headset? Radio operator? Have no clue and I was hoping that someone on the forum will be able to enlighten me and set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hello folks,

Dont know if this is the correct forum for asking, but.... I have a radio receiver set ANB-H-1, with an HB-7 leather covered, spring steel headband(dont know if that is the correct term for it). Wiring is cloth covered with a single PL-354 plug. Where, what, how was this used? Application? Helmet headset? Radio operator? Have no clue and I was hoping that someone on the forum will be able to enlighten me and set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Mike

This would have been worn by pilots and aircrew in situations where they did not wear a flight helmet with built in receivers. Here's a good web page with info on this type of gear http://www.best-of-flightgear.dk/commsusaf.htm

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I was able to identify the receiver set as an "early" HS-33 headset with red PL-354 plug, however they are missing the rubber earpads that surround the receivers.

Cobrahistorian

Yep, that's an HS-33. If it had R-14 receivers, it would be an HS-18. Nice find! I've been looking for a nice set for my WWII helicopter pilot kit.

Jon

• 2 months later...
Lightning Ace

I purchased a bunch of the HS-18 sets in the early 1980's, when things were cheap, that supposedly came from a WW II 5th AF B-25 BG. Back then I also was able to buy the correct PL-54 and PL-354 plugs in new unissued condition and even the R-14's in their original box and also the three different receiver cover, rubber and rubber and chamois in unissued condition, those were the days.

Mike

Yep, that's an HS-33. If it had R-14 receivers, it would be an HS-18. Nice find! I've been looking for a nice set for my WWII helicopter pilot kit.

Jon

Johan...I have an identical set-up. My headset is in mint condition but came without its ear-pads. I acquired these seperately (also mint) and they're of the grey "sponge rubber" variety. However, in the 10 years I've had them they've visibly deteriorated as the sponge begins to perish...it's crazed and becoming slightly tacky!

I have a mint pair of rubber/chamois "donut" ear-pads among my spares. When were they used...late war? Also, any idea where I might be able to obtain some sponge-type replacements?

Thanks,

Ian

Johan Willaert

Ian,

I have a set with R14 microphones which came with the sponge type cups...

I believer the ones on my set above are correct for AC use... The yellow ones are IMO post WW2

Sorry, don't know where to find them...

Johan

Ian,

I have a set with R14 microphones which came with the sponge type cups...

I believer the ones on my set above are correct for AC use... The yellow ones are IMO post WW2

Sorry, don't know where to find them...

Johan

That's what I thought and why I was reluctant to fit the "donuts" to my WW2 display headset! Thanks.

Ian

My headset is in mint condition but came without its ear-pads. I acquired these seperately (also mint) and they're of the grey "sponge rubber" variety. However, in the 10 years I've had them they've visibly deteriorated as the sponge begins to perish...it's crazed and becoming slightly tacky!

hello,

BellsAviation is selling rubber ear-pads for $15.

http://www.bellsaviation.com/mm5/merchant....tegory_Code=COM

I haven't tried them but it may help ;)

Tim.