Airborne US paratroopers gloves. Late war

101STCOLLECTOR

101STCOLLECTOR

Well

Here we have a supposed pair of WWII us paratrooper gloves in mint/unused condition. It´s not the highly desiderable cavalry model but is supposed has been used late war by us paratroopers.

As i have no references to compare with i have decided to post them at WAF to discuss.

Please, don´t hesitate to post your thinkings.

Jack

post-5486-1257065189.jpg

Johan Willaert

Jose,

These gloves are not the model depicted in the WW2 QM Catalogs... In fact there's no such thing as Paratrooper Gloves.

The ones often worn by US AB troops were called Horsehide Riding Gloves, either lined or unlined... Check out the QM-3 catalog.

That being said, IMO you have a very nice pair of WW2 period leather gloves that could have been worn by any GI, so also paratroops...

I'm sure if you scroll through period photographs, you will find one showing this kind of gloves in use, either by AB troops or others..

All in all nice pair of gloves...

JOhan

Like said Johan, they are probably a nice pair of taylor made gloves BUT they are not the same model issued by the Airborne, i've 2 pair of them one in white color and one of the same color of yours, they were often used by GIs and special units, i've few photo of GI soldiers that wear them on field and during the bootcamp.

great gloves but i've always seen the size marked with numbers (''8'', ''9'' and so on)

Giancarlo

101STCOLLECTOR

These gloves are not the model depicted in the WW2 QM Catalogs... In fact there's no such thing as Paratrooper Gloves.

Well

Take a look on page 125 of MDT American Warriors... You can see this gloves pictured there

José

Hello,

I have taken a good look at the gloves and the images you have taken and have no hesitation saying that these are correct WWII style.

You mentioned that there are two styles, but I would actually say there are 3 variations. The first as you mentioned are the cavelry example with leather wrist ties, these sometimes have the makers and contract details stamped inside. The secojnd example is the same ad the first in appearance but are actually lined. The third example, which is what you have pictured which do not have the leather ties.

Now to your comment later war, I am not sure what time frame you are thinking, but this type was definately used in Normandy. If you take the time to study the many pictures from Normzndy you will encounter this type of glove quite often, in fact on an even par to the first example refered to above

I hope this helps..

Regards Bruce

Johan Willaert
Take a look on page 125 of MDT American Warriors... You can see this gloves pictured there

SO, what's the problem then??

If you see them in that book, why do you ask for opinions....

It's not because a paratrooper is wearing these gloves they are by definition Paratrooper Gloves...

The same GI you describe has a M1936 Pistol Belt... Does that make it a paratrooper belt???

And reread my post stating that your gloves are WW2 above

That being said, IMO you have a very nice pair of WW2 period leather gloves that could have been worn by any GI, so also paratroops...

I'm sure if you scroll through period photographs, you will find one showing this kind of gloves in use, either by AB troops or others..

• 4 months later...

What is pictured is a pair of generic deerskin men's gloves. The markings do not even bespeak "military issue" or even "military private purchase". And they may not be of 1940s vintage.

Long ago, I was hot on the trail of the PROPER, ISSUE riding gloves -- until a few para vets told me that, though they had been commonly used while Stateside, they HATED them and soon did without them. They got caught in equipment, screwed up the tactile senses in one's finger tips, especially at night or in a darkened C-47, and they got lost. No gloves was better, said they.

In period photos, surely not every para has such gloves. By the time of Normandy, how many do you see? One in ten? Less?

• 7 years later...

These are genuine WWII US Army issue M42 horsehide riding gloves. Note the slip on design and lack of adjustment strap on the palm side. They are the style that was approved at the beginning of American involvement in WWII. They were also the style that was issued in mass to the paratroops. You can always tell the M42 design because soldiers would flip up the hem. You can't flip the hem on the earlier M39 style gloves.

Everyone always assumes that the earlier M39 strap on style was the style used by paratroops but it is NOT. Sure there were M39 strap on style gloves in the system and some paratroops got them while stateside, but the M42 slip on style was the style that was issued overseas before the major airborne ops.

These look like doe skin officers gloves to me. I believe the ridding (cavalry) gloves all had the take up strap on the bottom of the wrist. I Could be wrong

• 5 years later...
Johan Willaert
On 7/22/2023 at 10:52 PM, bldrhouse said:

Was Nansen (Hansen?)one of the manufacturers?

image.png.f594d201471cd4b8e7dabd689d12c403.png

According to Charles Lemmons' book, Hansen Glove Company only made Leather Palm Wool Gloves for the Military in WW2 under contract W-669-QM-2461X

The above would have been civilian made and could have been privately bought and worn by a GI though