Ka-bars all over the TV

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I'm watching PT 109 on TV right now and just noticed that everyone has a KA-BAR or its equivalent strapped to their hip.

So I did a google search and found this pic of JFK and the original PT 109 crew, and look at what's on the future president's belt:

pt109.jpg

CNY Militaria

I just watched that too (Patton is on now)! A cool movie. I noticed the Ka-bars as well, in addition to his pistol.

Bob Hudson
I just watched that too (Patton is on now)! A cool movie. I noticed the Ka-bars as well, in addition to his pistol.

I'm in California so PT 109 isn't over yet: My wife and son went off to the drive-in movie to see Shrek so I just made myself some popcorn and get to sit here and watch war movies without interruption. After Patton is Flying Leathernecks (this is all on AMC).

CNY Militaria

Yes, since I am 3 hrs ahead of you, I can tell you how these movies end if you wish, haha. I am still listening to Patton's yelling!

Bob Hudson
Yes, since I am 3 hrs ahead of you, I can tell you how these movies end if you wish, haha...

I'm guessing that the US wins.

It is interesting to see those knives in use by the Navy. People often ask me about that when they see my 1942 USN knife: they can't imagine guys walking around on ships with these. I usually point to Seabees, but had not even thought of the PT boat crews until now. I wonder what other Navy units were commonly issued these? My dad had one which I think was issued to him in the post-WWII era when he was a blimp crewman.

IMHO, a knife that short, with a bulbous pommel, probably was a USN Mark 1 knife with a 5" blade, or a privately purchased knife. The "Kabar," or Mark 2 knife is 12" long, with a 7" blade.

post-70-1180321628.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of Marines with Kabars, or Mark 2 knives (for comparison).

On this first photo (taken in Okinawa), look at the knife on the Marine entering the bunker.

post-70-1180322856.jpg

Bob Hudson
The second photo is one of my favorites--take a look at the knife of the guy on the right. That "Kabar" is one big knife!

HTH.

I was really using KA-BAR as a generic term for the WWII Navy and Marine fighting knives: I've got one of the big Navy Robeson Shuredge red spacer MK 2's and I know the PT crews used those.

I was really using KA-BAR as a generic term for the WWII Navy and Marine fighting knives: I've got one of the big Navy Robeson Shuredge red spacer MK 2's and I know the PT crews used those.

FS,

Sorry, I misunderstood you because I've only heard the term "Kabar" knife used generically to describe the Mark 2's--never for the Mark 1's.

Greg Robinson
FS,

Sorry, I misunderstood you because I've only heard the term "Kabar" knife used generically to describe the Mark 2's--never for the Mark 1's.

Hey GB

You're saying it right. :D "KA-BAR" was the maker name of the largest contractor of this pattern for both services. But "k-bar" was the term that the guys in the field, most likely Marines, came up with for that pattern knife by all makers. But just that pattern only....USN Mk 2 and USMC 1219c2.

Greg

gunbarrel, Off topic but it sure looks like the Marine on the left (in your first posted picture) is wearing a swivel bail helmet !

Bob Hudson
Hey GB

You're saying it right. :D "KA-BAR" was the maker name of the largest contractor of this pattern for both services. But "k-bar" was the term that the guys in the field, most likely Marines, came up with for that pattern knife by all makers. But just that pattern only....USN Mk 2 and USMC 1219c2.

Greg

As one website notes, "The USMC version made by KA-BAR of Olean, N.Y., became so well known that this style of knife is still called a "Kabar" by army and Marine Corps ground troops, even if it's a cheap "Made in Taiwan" copy" -