USMC chevrons red on olive

roadrunner

Here are some USMC chevrons, red on olive.

I know

yellow on red

green on red

olive on khaki

Who can tell more about this items?

Note: Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps (pair)

post-8324-1256846427.jpg

post-8324-1256846440.jpg

post-8324-1256846455.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

The top pair are for the "Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps"

Bottom left is chevron for a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

Bottom right is chevron for a Sergeant Major.

The top pair are for the "Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps"

Bottom left is chevron for a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

Bottom right is chevron for a Sergeant Major.

I think the question is what uniform would these be worn on?

Ray

Thats right, I want to know:

was this type of chevrons ever worn?

if yes, which period?

Thanks

Michael

• 1 year later...
shrapneldude

Found this thread looking for something else and am curious about the colors as well. Does anyone have any new info on them?

• 3 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

For anyone who is reading this topic, I contacted the Marine Corps Museum Senior Curator and they looked into it and couldn't find ANY information about these chevrons. I currently have all four of them and picked up a MSgt one from ebay. They are very well made but still think that they are custom. If anyone else finds other ranks, please let me know as I would be very interested in purchasing them!

I have one that I picked up many years ago at the old "Great Western" gun show in Pamona, CA. I can't remember exactly when I picked it up, but I would guess 20 to 25 years ago.

When I get a chance, I will dig it out.

My Guess is that it was an experimental item, but that is like I said, a Guess.

For anyone who is reading this topic, I contacted the Marine Corps Museum Senior Curator and they looked into it and couldn't find ANY information about these chevrons. I currently have all four of them and picked up a MSgt one from ebay. They are very well made but still think that they are custom. If anyone else finds other ranks, please let me know as I would be very interested in purchasing them!

Chevron Guy

To RoadRunner and SgtMaddox:

I think the reversed color chevrons look very sharp, but obviously do not have offical USMC approval. Even realizing that these are not "real" USMC chevrons, I would like to know (if you will tell) where you were able to purchase them and approximately how much each chevron cost. I would be interested in purchasing a pair of each from the SgtMajMarCor down to GySgt E-7 just because they look very unique if I could find the source. Thanks for your posts.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have one that I picked up many years ago at the old "Great Western" gun show in Pamona, CA. I can't remember exactly when I picked it up, but I would guess 20 to 25 years ago.

When I get a chance, I will dig it out.

My Guess is that it was an experimental item, but that is like I said, a Guess.

Do you remember which rank it is? I would be very interested in seeing it! :)

SgtMaddoxUSMC

ChevronGuy,

I found my MSgt on ebay and the rest I got from Michael (roadrunner), I am unsure where he originally obtained them.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here are three regular ranks I have (the SMMC ones are my display hanging at the local recruiting station)

post-133515-0-37193900-1425682679.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is a shot of the MSgt alongside an older standard MSgt chevron. As you can see, the embroidery is spot on, dimensions are the same. I would suspect that maybe these were made in the factory that produces the real chevrons maybe an employee messing around off the clock? :)

post-133515-0-59908500-1425736371.jpg

shrapneldude

post-1424-0-82893500-1425931233.jpg

post-1424-0-20106400-1425931249.jpg

Ended up with a set of SSGT stripes in my collection and had forgotten to post them on here. Still no solid answers as to WHY these exist though.

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Awesome! I love how they are popping up! Hopefully I can reunite them all! Now we have to find out who has PFC, LCpl, Cpl, Sgt, and 1stSgt. 5 down, 5 to go!

• 4 months later...

I picked up 4 more. The color is a little off in the Photo, but these are the same as the others.

Are there any know examples that aren't SNCO?

post-5056-0-89569500-1439776832.jpg

post-5056-0-53502200-1439776878.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Awesome find! I was actually just thinking about these again today! I have not seen anything other than the ones we have discussed here. Where'd you score these ones from?

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I also have added the SSgt chevron that Dan had to my set. Now all I need is a 1stSgt to have all the SNCO ranks.

• 5 weeks later...

I have not seen sergeant or below. I was told that these were experimental chevrons for staff NCOs that were made on the gaberdine material. Beyond that, however, I have nothing in writing to back that up. I also have a set of Sgt Major of the Marine Corps that I will post if I get the time. - jeff

• 2 weeks later...