Named Liason Wing Pickup!

FW12

Got a call today for someone who wanted to sell a German wound badge. So, I make the ten mile drive and not only did I pick up a mint-in-box German wound badge, but these beautiful wings. The seller was Captain William L. Stewart's son. Stewart served as a liason pilot with the 28th Infantry Division during WWII, flying his first mission in March 1945. He later completed helicopter training in 1949 and served in Korea as an Ordinance Corps Captain. He served in the Army until his retirement in June, 1980.

The wings are all sterling marked; the 3" pair is NS Meyer-marked. They sure are beauties!

Enjoy!

Beau

post-88-1256845626.jpg

Very nice.

The liaison wings have always been very very tough for me to find. And a nice grouping is even better!

Good for you! :thumbsup: and thanks for the picts.

It's great for collectors to be able to see an attributed Meyer Liaison wing with just the shield hallmark and Sterling mark. This is what a real one is supposed to look like. Great find. Congrats and thanks for posting.

I think I put this picture up before, but here is another good place to take another look. Meyer wings are attractive but as we know, suffer terrifically due to all the confusion Meyer introduced by restriking them. The obverse of these wings are virtually indistinguishable since they are from the same dies and there is very little difference in the reverses either--the pin, maybe a little different font, a reversed shield. One thing interesting is that while we look for raised sterling marks on most wings, on these Meyer L, S, and G wings, the sterling mark is correct when they are stamped.

post-3515-1256869123.jpg

Hi Beau... turning into a wingnut... :)

The two inch wings are made by Bell and are very nice!

Cheers

John

Thanks for the info, John. And I agree, wings sure are fun! I think I'm going to make a display out of these.

Bschwartz - Thanks!

Thanks for the info, John. And I agree, wings sure are fun! I think I'm going to make a display out of these.

Bschwartz - Thanks!

Beau - not only fun but easy to care for and they do not take up too much space! In fact I can help you clear up some space by taking a few items from you USAAF collection we discussed long ago off your hands ;)

John