Part II early US Air Force transitional

louie

I think when it comes to AAF and early USAF, anything seems possible! Must have been later when USAF clamped down a little more on the regulations.

Absolutely!! ;)

Here's a 1949 dated Ike, with two silver (tarnished) US collar disks. Even the clasps are silver. All insignia has been on the Ike for a long time.

Thanks,

Tim

post-2144-1257010345.jpg

post-2144-1257010354.jpg

Here's a 1949 dated Ike, with two silver (tarnished) US collar disks. Even the clasps are silver. All insignia has been on the Ike for a long time.

Thanks,

Tim

post-2144-1257010345.jpg

post-2144-1257010354.jpg

Very nice! :thumbsup:

The original thread on USAF uniforms from the 1940's to 1970's is linked below... it seems to be a topic with a lot of interest, especially for the post war era with the mix of US Army uniforms and USAF insignia.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

Lovin' this thread! :thumbsup:

...Here's a 1949 dated Ike...

post-2144-1257010345.jpg

Is that an Army Meritorious Unit Commendation over the right pocket? If so, it presents an anachronism in this uniform even odder than the U.S. discs. Would you mind posting enlargements of right and left side ribbons? Thanks.

Just came across this thread. Great stuff!!

I have a few era's but nothing fancy as most but here ya go.

USAF IKE

M-1196

DEAD LINK 1/3/17

DWIV

I had a few like this. I took the patches off, but this one after I found this stamp inside I kept as is. Seems to be pat. in 1946 issued in 1951??

Khaki
Matching set
(2) pencil pocket on left breast

DEAD LINK 1/3/17

DWIV

Nice khakis! The shirt is the revised post-war design for EMs with added officer-style shoulder loops. Once the QM had accepted a pattern it would remain in production until replaced by an alternative one, or be issued until stocks were exhausted. So, it wouldn't have been unusual for a '46 pattern shirt to still be in the system several years after that date.

Ian

Is that an Army Meritorious Unit Commendation over the right pocket? If so, it presents an anachronism in this uniform even odder than the U.S. discs. Would you mind posting enlargements of right and left side ribbons? Thanks.

I will, once I can grab a camera ... it's even a bit funkier, because it's enamel vs. cloth (only one I've seen).

Here are the photos ... not the greatest, but you can see what's there. Again, the unit commendation is metal and enamel. Not regs, but it's how I got the uniform (at least 10 years ago).

Thanks,

Tim

post-2144-1257033021.jpg

post-2144-1257033030.jpg

I've snuck this AF officer's blouse in because I thought it would make for an interesting comparison with the other Ikes featured here. I can't be specfic re its date or origins because there are no labels of any description in the jacket. It's evidently a privately tailored example and is very similar in cut and design to some other WW2 AAF Officers' Ikes I have in my collection. Being officer quality, the fabric is a finer weave than the Enlisted Airmans' wool serge. All of the buttons are of the oxidised silver AF types as found on regular service coats. The pin-back wings and Lt. Col leaves are by N.S.Meyer.

post-8022-1257089216.jpg post-8022-1257089231.jpg

USAF officer's winter-weight blue shirt, 1950s. Identical in cut and quality to WW2 officer-style shirts.

post-8022-1257090476.jpg post-8022-1257090491.jpg

Nice jacket. Reading your description of the material used for USAF officers made me compare to an enlisted man's RAF battle-dress jacket I own from the early 1950s. You couldn't get more different: I think you could scrub tiles with the cloth used for the British jacket!

As for the shirt: I have never seen one like this. Have a later example (60s? 70s?) of a very dark blue which I think was used in certain career fields, but nothing like the one you have here. Didn't realize they had made a dark blue winter shirt.

This is a great thread.

Nice jacket. Reading your description of the material used for USAF officers made me compare to an enlisted man's RAF battle-dress jacket I own from the early 1950s. You couldn't get more different: I think you could scrub tiles with the cloth used for the British jacket!

As for the shirt: I have never seen one like this. Have a later example (60s? 70s?) of a very dark blue which I think was used in certain career fields, but nothing like the one you have here. Didn't realize they had made a dark blue winter shirt.

This is a great thread.

I use the term "Winter shirt" because in the uniform section of my Air Officer's Guide, circa 51, it refers to the blue winter shirt and khaki summer shirt. The verbal description fits this one.

I agree...a great thread is evolving here!

Ian :thumbsup:

Transplanted these from a previous thread I initiated. They epitomise the transitional nature of USAF uniform items of this period! Cap, Aircrew, Heavy Type D-1 /D-1A. Note the logos and legend on the blue/khaki variants?!

post-8022-1257095084.jpg post-8022-1257095110.jpg

Transplanted these from a previous thread I initiated. They epitomise the transitional nature of USAF uniform items of this period! Cap, Aircrew, Heavy Type D-1 /D-1A. Note the logos and legend on the blue/khaki variants?!

post-8022-1257095084.jpg post-8022-1257095110.jpg

First time I have ever seen those "Vandenberg" horizontal stripes attached to any piece of clothing!

FYI, Schiffer has an extensive two volume set coming out early next year covering USAF uniforms from 1947 to the present.

Good to know. Will keep a look out for that.

FYI, Schiffer has an extensive two volume set coming out early next year covering USAF uniforms from 1947 to the present.

Yeah? Great...thanks for the info. Definitely on my "wants" list!!

Ian :thumbsup: