Part II early US Air Force transitional

louie

My Dad at Celle, Germany. July 1949.

If you click at the picture for full size, you can clearly see the cut-out prop & wing (presumably brass color) on left collar.

post-7471-1256955176.jpg

At Biggs Field, El Paso, TX. January 1950.

Cut-out Prop & Wing again on left lapel. But is the Ike jacket OD or Blue?!

post-7471-1256955512.jpg

AF Buttons thru the years:

Left to Right:

1. AAF

2. Late 1940s USAF, but in gold. I heard these were issued for a while, but also read somwehere they were only to be used on formal mess dress for officers. But I have seen summer tan officer coat with this color button. Clarification, anyone?

3. USAF classic.

4. McPeak USAF post 1990/91. No comment!

post-7471-1256955968.jpg

So-called "Vandenberg" chevrons, from the early 1950s. Supposedly all destroyed before issue -- but apparently not. Though I have yet to see a picture of anyone actually wearing them on an AF uniform.

By the way, as I write this, a guy on eBay is selling a complete (3 rank) set like this right now for $495.00 !!! (Free shipping!)

They are rare but not THAT rare. I bought these for 15 and 25 cents apiece at a local surplus store here in L.A.

post-7471-1256956290.jpg

Just for fun: Recruiting ad from a magazine, dated 1950.

Seems Army and USAF were still closely enough linked to run their recruting ads together.

Don't think we'd see that today!

post-7471-1256956675.jpg

...AF Buttons thru the years...Late 1940s USAF, but in gold. I heard these were issued for a while, but also read somwehere they were only to be used on formal mess dress for officers. But I have seen summer tan officer coat with this color button. Clarification, anyone?...

Scroll back up to post #15, see paragraph 1. a. for this button. Enlisted men would not have much use for these. Their issued winter jacket was the OD Ike (no shiny buttons). A summer-weight tan tropical worsted uniform (with shiny buttons) was an optional purchase item for enlisted men. The only issued enlisted items that would have required these buttons were the winter and summer service caps.

OD.

I believe you are correct there. Wouldn't he have on a dark (blue) tie if he was wearing the new blue uniform? And I suspect you have noticed other details that point to it being OD?

...Recruiting ad from a magazine, dated 1950...Seems Army and USAF were still closely enough linked to run their recruting ads together...

My dad was the Air Force recruiter in Las Vegas from 1954 to 1958. He shared an office with the Army recruiter. They also shared leads and prospects and they always made quota.

...Wouldn't he have on a dark (blue) tie if he was wearing the new blue uniform? And I suspect you have noticed other details that point to it being OD?

Yes, the tie would have been dark blue and his shirt would have been a slightly darker shade than the khaki shirt he is wearing in this picture. He is also wearing Army pattern "Hershey Bars" instead of the smaller versions that USAF adopted for the Blues. Here's the Blue Ike being worn:

post-1963-1256959611.jpg

I remember a surplus store on 3rd and Broadway in downtown L.A. next to a store called the Big Penny. They had boxes and boxes of those straight stripes forever. Nobody ever seemed to buy them. In 69 or so, they were 5c ea. and still no takers! They did have some great jungle jackets though for 3 or 4.00 I used to buy for work at UPS when I got out of the Marines. Wish I would have kept them rather than use them for loading trucks!

I remember a surplus store on 3rd and Broadway in downtown L.A. next to a store called the Big Penny. They had boxes and boxes of those straight stripes forever. Nobody ever seemed to buy them. In 69 or so, they were 5c ea. and still no takers! They did have some great jungle jackets though for 3 or 4.00 I used to buy for work at UPS when I got out of the Marines. Wish I would have kept them rather than use them for loading trucks!

Don't know if that store is still there in downtown L.A.

My local surplus store used to have a bucket of those stripes on the counter.

They are worth a little bit more than a few cents these days, but I think trying to sell a set on eBay for $495 for is pushing the limits!

They are worth a little bit more than a few cents these days, but I think trying to sell a set on eBay for $495 for is pushing the limits!

That seller has been trying to sell them for that much for awhile now... he has them as a first class pair for $85 and a single first class for $50. Far as I know, no takers... otherwise I'd sell mine! :)

That seller has been trying to sell them for that much for awhile now... he has them as a first class pair for $85 and a single first class for $50. Far as I know, no takers... otherwise I'd sell mine! :)

And a lot of the time he has those listed, others are selling same for 10-15 bucks!

Airman's wool garrison cap circa 1950. Same design as standard WW2 garrison cap...pleated, rounded crown. Black generic USAF EMs' black piping.

post-8022-1256994890.jpg post-8022-1256994902.jpg post-8022-1256994914.jpg

Only (some) of the Officer's caps I own have the strap running around at the back. Don't usually see Enlisted with that. At least I haven't! Nice cap.

Airman's wool garrison cap circa 1950. Same design as standard WW2 garrison cap...pleated, rounded crown. Black generic USAF EMs' black piping.

post-8022-1256994890.jpg post-8022-1256994902.jpg post-8022-1256994914.jpg

Was that approved to wear the US disc on the garrison cap? Never seen that before on a USAF blue.

Not officially...but nor was such ornamentation authorised during WW2 but it didn't prevent airmen from pinning winged-props etc., onto their caps as contemporary photograhic evidence testifies. Therefore, I suppose we can't categorically say that the US disk was never worn thus on blue flight caps?

Not officially...but nor was such ornamentation authorised during WW2 but it didn't prevent airmen from pinning winged-props etc., onto their caps as contemporary photograhic evidence testifies. Therefore, I suppose we can't categorically say that the US disk was never worn thus on blue flight caps?

I think when it comes to AAF and early USAF, anything seems possible! Must have been later when USAF clamped down a little more on the regulations.