51st Iowa SAW Grouping

wdphll

I purchased the sack coat aver a year ago, and just got the equipment that went with it. All the items are ID to Pvt. Jonathon Ross of Hebron, Iowa. He was 20 years old when he enlisted on June 16, 1898. He was mustered on May 30, 1898. He was mustered out on Nov. 2, 1899 in San Fransico, CA.

51st Iowa fought in the Philippine Islands.

Pvt Ross's regiment took part in the advance on San Roque on February 9, before being transferred to the Second Brigade, Second Division of the same Corps on April 14. The following day, the regiment went on campaign, taking part in actions at Quingua River, and Pulilan (April 24), Calumpit (April 25), Santo Tomas (May 4), San Fernando (May 5), and in a variety of other actions in the vicinity until July 4. The regiment took part in the advance on Calulut on August 9, and served on outpost duty in that vicinity until September 6. On that date, the regiment returned to Manila, and was quartered at the Cuartel de Francsico. On September 22, 1899, the regiment sailed for the U.S. aboard the transport SENATOR, arriving in San Francisco's Presidio on October 22.

On November 2, 1899, the 51st Iowa Volunteer Infantry was mustered out of service at San Francisco. At the time of mustering out, the regiment consisted of fifty officers and 789 enlisted men. During its term of service, the regiment lost one officer to suicide and 39 enlisted men to disease. In addition, 89 men were discharged on disability. Remarkably, the regiment only had one man desert.

post-577-1180290333.jpg

You can see if you look closely that Pvt. Ross scratched his name on the bottem of both cup and dish.

post-577-1180290684.jpg

I think this spoon is a spoon he captured in the PI's as the name on the spoon seems to support that.

post-577-1180290777.jpg

Not part of Pvt. Ross's grouping, this is another 51st Iowa item I picked up, from A Co. Not ID'd but I did find a Knife and leather holder.

post-577-1180290941.jpg

Although I wish this hat did belong to me, it does not. It is on display at the Gold Star museum at Camp Dodge, in Johnson, Iowa. But I thought you might also like to see it.

post-577-1180291044.jpg

last pic

Very nice -- I especially like the service stripes on the coat. I assume that the Iowa NG did not issue the full dress coat to its EM's, so they wore them on the undress coat. Looks like 3 hitches, one with war service.

Do we know if this unit wore khakies?

New Romantic

Very nice, I'm starting to take an interest in Spanish-American War militaria. I'm in the process of putting together a display of accouterments. It's nice that you showed the mess untensils. Thanks!

• 1 month later...