Chris_B

Reference book recommendations? Colt 1911/191A1

I am setting my sights on a US PROPERTY marked 1911 or 1911A1, before prices go to the moon

In Massachusetts (my state) there are strict rules about this pistol being here and registered prior to 1998 if I want to buy one, so this puts a premium on an item that already commands a premium. I've considered the C&R route as I hold an FFL03 but that's plan B

What I want to do first is get a good reference on these pistols, specifically on IDing marks, proofs, serials, etc, on "US" marked 1911/1911A1. I'll be spending over 2K, so I want it to hurt only once

Can I get some recommendations?

Hi Chris:

There are a ton of books out on the M1911, but serious collectors will tell you that an essential volume is Charles Clawson's "Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Pistols". I think the latest is the third edition and you can buy them for about $40. Clawson also wrote the "big book" on the M1911 pistols published about 10+ years ago, a massive volume that weighs about 10 lbs., and is long out of print. It usually brings several hundred dollars a copy on the used gun book market. About 98% of the information you will need is going to be found in the Collector's Guide mentioned above.

There are some other good books out there on the subject by Scott Meadows, Joe Poyer, and William Goddard, but if you are just starting out, get the Clawson Guide. I have them all in my library but I think you will be happy with the Clawson Guide for starters

Regards,

Charlie Flick

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

+1 on Clawsons book go over to www.CoolGunSight.com you can get a copy there and not a bad site to browse on.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of paperback editions of Charles Clawsons book?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.