Vietnam era jungle suit with customised insignia

Sabrejet

I've had this jungle suit in my collection since the late 80s. What attracted me to it was its unique mix of customised and issue insignia, both subdued and full-colour. Also, shoulder straps from a first pattern poplin jungle jacket have been retro fitted to this later '68 dated ripstop version. I've never attempted to research "Major Daniloff" himself, but have plenty of references dealing with the wide range of insignia styles seen on uniforms during the Vietnam conflict. I would welcome your expert comments and observations. Thank you.

post-8022-1256727803.jpg

hochiminhtrail

DANILOFF FREDERICK D

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O04

MOS: 1987

MOS Title: Composite Aviation Unit Commander

Entered: 5909

Discharged: 740222

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

the only Daniloff that comes in question

post-8022-1256728954.jpg

DANILOFF FREDERICK D

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O04

MOS: 1987

MOS Title: Composite Aviation Unit Commander

Entered: 5909

Discharged: 740222

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

the only Daniloff that comes in question

Wow...thanks for that superfast response! Seems like it could be our man then given his rank, aviator wings etc?

Ian :thumbsup:

Looks good to me.

1. The shoulder loops were a fairly common item added to jungle jackets by field grade officers because they often wore their green leadership tabs on them. They may have been removed from an older 1st or 2nd pattern jacket but more likely than not were made from scratch from spare uniform material by a Vietnamese tailor.

2. The quality of the embroidered insignia is consistent with others I have seen from Vietnam.

3. The Engineer Branch Of Service insignia was common for pilots during the Vietnam War since the Army did not have a separate Aviation branch at that time. Other common branches for pilots were Artillery and Armor. Bruce Crandall, the famed pilot and Medal of Honor recipient for his actions during the Battle of the Ia Drang, wore Engineer BOS insignia. See this link for a picture of him in his uniform: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_P._Crandall

4. The merrowed edge shoulder sleeve insignia were common after around 1969 or so and the 101st Airborne was still wearing a full color SSI into the 70's.

hochiminhtrail

Hi Ian

in any case there are only 2 listed with the name in the army, the other one is a technician or repairman, so this is 100% your guy.

cheers

alex

Wow...thanks for that superfast response! Seems like it could be our man then given his rank, aviator wings etc?

Cobrahistorian

Major Daniloff was the CO of the 191st Assault Helicopter Company when he wore that uniform in 1969-70. His earlier tour with the 101st was in 66-67 as a pilot in the Aviation section for one of the Engineering units. He was killed in an OV-1 Mohawk test airplane at Ft. Rucker in 1974. There's a full bio on him at this site:

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Daniloff_Fr..._925791290.aspx

Really phenomenal uniform there. Keep his memory alive.

Jon

Major Daniloff was the CO of the 191st Assault Helicopter Company when he wore that uniform in 1969-70. His earlier tour with the 101st was in 66-67 as a pilot in the Aviation section for one of the Engineering units. He was killed in an OV-1 Mohawk test airplane at Ft. Rucker in 1974. There's a full bio on him at this site:

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Daniloff_Fr..._925791290.aspx

Really phenomenal uniform there. Keep his memory alive.

Jon

Gentlemen: Thank you all very much for taking the time to look up information on Major Daniloff and for posting it so promptly. That uniform has now "come alive" and I'm honoured to have it in my safekeeping, albeit 3,000+ miles from its spiritual home. Rest assured that it will have pride of place among my Vietnam uniforms and associated memoribilia.

Gentlemen: Thank you all very much for taking the time to look up information on Major Daniloff and for posting it so promptly. That uniform has now "come alive" and I'm honoured to have it in my safekeeping, albeit 3,000+ miles from its spiritual home. Rest assured that it will have pride of place among my Vietnam uniforms and associated memoribilia.

Check this out gentlemen. Major Daniloff was awarded the DFC as descibed in the citation below:

Fred found his “niche” as a commander. He was a superb commanding officer as those who worked for him or with him have testified. He later revealed that the culmination of his career was his command of that company — but with his special talents where else would he have been better challenged than as a leader of men? Fred led his troops by example as this narrative of his award of the Distinguished Flying Cross shows:

“Major Daniloff distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions while serving as aircraft commander of a transport mission to land near a downed aircraft and extract two wounded soldiers near Chou Duc. As he descended into the landing zone he came under enemy automatic weapons and mortar fire. Upon landing his aircraft he became the target of heavy enemy fire as he courageously attempted to extract the two men who were found dead in the aircraft. Fifteen minutes later, he volunteered to make an extremely critical evacuation of several wounded allied soldiers. Again, upon descending, his ship came under intense enemy fire with the mortar fire increasing as he landed. He remained on the ground directing the suppressive fire of his door gunners until all of the wounded were on board.”

What can I say? I'm speechless!!

The First Platoon Leader was Major Fred Daniloff and the Second

Platoon Leader was Major Paul F. Burke. CPT Monte Davis became a section leader and

the supply officer and Major William Ankenbrant was the maintenance officer. Within the

next couple of weeks after we arrived others started showing up.

The memorable part of that training exercise is

when Major Jenkins found out that several pilots brought along some spirits to ward off the

cold weather (Major Daniloff set the precedent here when he told us that he was not going

to freeze out in the Riley boondocks). He ordered a late night scramble and everyone was

ready to go, even though some were unable to find their assigned aircraft. Fortunately, he

called it off before anybody could get the aircraft started. We all got a very stern lecture

and then proceeded to dig a big hole and bury the remaining booze. So, if you are ever

out somewhere in the vast expanses of Riley you may find a cache of some pretty good

whiskey that has been aged for an additional 34 years. "

Major Fred Daniloff, CWO Jones and Skip Lee

were designated as the rear detachment. This meant that as soon as the rest of the unit

got out of town, they were to make a final inspection and turn the keys to the buildings

over to someone from Riley and then get to Forbes and catch the last airplane.

The first bus was for the officers, followed by the enlisted guys

in the following two buses. Daniloff, Jones and Lee, along with a few of the wives that

stayed to the last minute to see their husbands off, were standing off to the side, also

freezing, as the buses passed in review. As they went by, with the general and his staff

standing at rigid attention, saluting, and the band playing some patriotic song, someone

(Skip was told that it was Jerry Warnick) gave the crowd a perfect "pressed ham" on the

bus window. Daniloff and Lee almost had to be carried off the field we were laughing so

much.

Fortunately Major Daniloff made sure that they had enough rum to mix with the Air Force

cokes to make the time go faster. Chief Jones only lasted about a month at Evans before

he started shooting his .38 caliber pistol off in the middle of the night, trying to kill snakes

that were after him.

From Phoenix_C158_History.pdf

Beautiful jungle jacket.

Andrei

The First Platoon Leader was Major Fred Daniloff and the Second

Platoon Leader was Major Paul F. Burke. CPT Monte Davis became a section leader and

the supply officer and Major William Ankenbrant was the maintenance officer. Within the

next couple of weeks after we arrived others started showing up.

The memorable part of that training exercise is

when Major Jenkins found out that several pilots brought along some spirits to ward off the

cold weather (Major Daniloff set the precedent here when he told us that he was not going

to freeze out in the Riley boondocks). He ordered a late night scramble and everyone was

ready to go, even though some were unable to find their assigned aircraft. Fortunately, he

called it off before anybody could get the aircraft started. We all got a very stern lecture

and then proceeded to dig a big hole and bury the remaining booze. So, if you are ever

out somewhere in the vast expanses of Riley you may find a cache of some pretty good

whiskey that has been aged for an additional 34 years. "

Major Fred Daniloff, CWO Jones and Skip Lee

were designated as the rear detachment. This meant that as soon as the rest of the unit

got out of town, they were to make a final inspection and turn the keys to the buildings

over to someone from Riley and then get to Forbes and catch the last airplane.

The first bus was for the officers, followed by the enlisted guys

in the following two buses. Daniloff, Jones and Lee, along with a few of the wives that

stayed to the last minute to see their husbands off, were standing off to the side, also

freezing, as the buses passed in review. As they went by, with the general and his staff

standing at rigid attention, saluting, and the band playing some patriotic song, someone

(Skip was told that it was Jerry Warnick) gave the crowd a perfect "pressed ham" on the

bus window. Daniloff and Lee almost had to be carried off the field we were laughing so

much.

Fortunately Major Daniloff made sure that they had enough rum to mix with the Air Force

cokes to make the time go faster. Chief Jones only lasted about a month at Evans before

he started shooting his .38 caliber pistol off in the middle of the night, trying to kill snakes

that were after him.

From Phoenix_C158_History.pdf

Beautiful jungle jacket.

Andrei

Thanks Andrei!

Regarding the Engineers BOS...I got a donation of uniforms from a VN helo pilot; his uniforms also have Engineers insignia..I asked him why that was, and he said that at that time, the Army required officers to qualify in one of the primary branches before they became aviators....another set I have has QM Corps BOS insignias....

Mark sends

• 3 years later...

that is absolutely gorgeous , i'm surprised it's not in a reference book . beautiful . koreamike

Thanks for your comments....and for reviving this long forgotten about thread!!