Double Buckle Boots

Lucky 7th Armored

Haydn

I wouldnt soak them in water.They will only get stiffer when they dry.You could try a liquid glycerin saddle soap.Its avaiable at most western shops for saddles and boots.Its in a spray(pump) bottle.I use it on my motor cycle jacket and even use it when its damp or wet and work it in.I would spray and them wear them/They should lossen up a bit.The spray may darken the leather a couple of shades.If you want a more worn or rough look you can use a steel wire hand brush on them to score/scuff the leather.

One thing with older boots is the sole can often become brittle and crack or the welt can pull away from the sole.

RON

Haydn

I wouldnt soak them in water.They will only get stiffer when they dry.You could try a liquid glycerin saddle soap.Its avaiable at most western shops for saddles and boots.Its in a spray(pump) bottle.I use it on my motor cycle jacket and even use it when its damp or wet and work it in.I would spray and them wear them/They should lossen up a bit.The spray may darken the leather a couple of shades.If you want a more worn or rough look you can use a steel wire hand brush on them to score/scuff the leather.

One thing with older boots is the sole can often become brittle and crack or the welt can pull away from the sole.

RON

Actually, the old Army standard for stiff boots is to fill them with water, put them on and wear them until they dry. Walk in them of course. This will work the leather and cause it to fit and mould to your foot and loosen the leather. Don't do this if the leather is all cracked or already strained, they have to be in pretty good shape to do it this way.

Good point and by the time you take into account the cost for the soles (plus shipping) and the original cuffs (plus shipping) and the work to convert them find out how much cheaper these boots really are. My guess- not much.

I don't know where the assumption that ALL reproduction boots are poorly made. Even if you have a poorly made reproduction pair of boots, they still beat the hell out of the French Ranger boots which only have a resemblance to the M-1943 boot.

If you are in a reenacting unit make sure they are acceptable. If they aren't then you can't use them for anything.

Frankly any unit that allows these things probably allows M51 jackets, "hey from 10 feet away a blind guy can't tell". I have heard the same reasoning about these boots be applied to other undeniably farby things like Vietnam era helmets, " no one will check the seam, change the chin straps, and who is going to be close enough to see the liner?" (not even thinking about how obviously different the helmet sits on your head compared to WWII helmets).

@Ron, now I'm getting a little off subject here. Just wanted to defend my Swiss counterparts, this picture was taken in July this last summer, no buckle boots, or M51 field jackets etc, not even on me. I'm the old guy in the middle, you can see the guy next to me, holding his fingers up behind my head. The picture below that is from August 1972, Fort Knox, Kentucky, just graduated from Armor A.I.T. and heading out. I'm the guy in the middle and the guy next to me holding his finger up behind my head, 37 years ago! Looks like I've put on a couple pounds since then.

Sorry for getting off subject, but I thought it was a strange coincidence.

cimg1844v.jpg

pat014.jpg

I'll use mine for tacticals in rough terrain such as mud, rocks, snow, etc. But, for living history displays, I'll use leggings with low quarter boots.

I'll use mine for tacticals in rough terrain such as mud, rocks, snow, etc. But, for living history displays, I'll use leggings with low quarter boots.

+1

Have to put my two pennies worrth in here. Back in the early 1980's , we wore Dutch para boots as there were no repros available. It was the best we could do to recreate US para-boots. I used to wear original buckle boots until they fell apart.

29 years later and repro items come in many forms, including perfectly adequate footwear. I cannot see the sense whatsoever in wearing French Buckle boots, to pay money out whether it is greenbacks or English pounds seems a waste of cash, because they in no way resemble US ones.

They would not be acceptable in our small band of merry men, and I would question the mindset of any person wishing to join our group who thinks its okay...

Now I'm ducking into my foxhole, helmet is on and I'm waiting for the incoming!!!!

English pounds

Now I'm ducking into my foxhole, helmet is on and I'm waiting for the incoming!!!!

Scottish pounds aswell....Sterling to those who don't know.... :w00t:

Have a good one at the AGM Paul, wish I was there...

Okay, the laughs on me! :lol:

"Forgive them for they know not what they do"

The buckle boots have been cut down and my mannequin/dummy and/or alter ego is now wearing them with leggings.

This will not happen again, I swear on the grave of the Unknown Reenactor. ;)