1942 Dogtags - Gysgt. C.E. Moore USMC

Sgt. Boghots

I obtained the HBT jacket, tags, a few emblems and chevrons from Mrs. Moore, in about 1986. - I was going to obtain copies of his paperwork, but unfortunately she passed on before that took place. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I found him mentioned in my copy of "Strong Men Armed", and I later found substantiation of his Saipan wounds in Navy/USMC casualty listings under the state of California.

A small grouping, it's always been a favorite of mine. It was the first set of finger print USMC dogtags I acquired. And considering they were worn on Tulagi / Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan & Okinawa, I've always appreciated them. The prints are on each tag, though very well worn.

A comment Mrs. Moore made at the time I got the dogtags was: "...he put them on Japanese string, because it didn't irritate his neck."

I didn't give that much thought at the time; not until I happened to be repairing the grip wrapping on a Japanese Shingunto, in military mounts. I then compared the silk wrapping of the sword handle string side-by-side with Gysgt. Moore's dogtag string, and they are darn near identical in weave and feel. - It's sure not shoestring, U.S. or Japanese.

But that's the story, anyway. I like them no matter what string they are on, I guess.

Thanks for looking ! Paul

post-6057-1256589260.jpg

texasscotchman
I forgot to mention that the reference to Moore in "Strong Men Armed", is on page 352.

Paul

A wonderful story !! and as my son and grandson (proud Marines) would say, "Semper Fi"

A wonderful story !! and as my son and grandson (proud Marines) would say, "Semper Fi"

And to them I would also say, "Semper Fi" !

Best to you, your son, and grandson.

Paul Walker