Matchbook collection

Fixbayonets!

Hi Rob, I can go along with your theory, it's a good point. As you state lots of match covers are in pretty reasonable condition and still have the matches in there.

Over the years I have bought lots of the match covers and only two collections were withouth matches, the one appears as you said in a folder opened flat with matches, and a little scuffed, these were anything and everything in design, a second collection I bought was again laid out flat without matches, a little scuffed but all 200 were scantily clad women. :lol:

Most of my collection are all still intact with matches, just don't know in which shipping carton they are stored at present, when I moved house here two years ago things got a little jumbled.

Look forward to your next bunch. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Ken,

I have noticed a number of my war time matchbooks have an invite printed inside to join The United Matchonians . This was a matchcover collectors club started in 1936..... my guess is the reason many of the unusual full covers exist is due to this club and its members, as well as Servicemen keeping matches from various bases they served time at...

Kevin

General Apathy

Hi Rob, again thanks another bunch that I have not seen, most of them have some great imagery on them,

also I like the mention of restaurants and such, wonder how many of these survived the war period and continued into postwar activity.

If I lived in the area's of some of the restaurant addresses I would want go see what was where the restaurants had been during the war.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Ken,

I have noticed a number of my war time matchbooks have an invite printed inside to join The United Matchonians . This was a matchcover collectors club started in 1936..... my guess is the reason many of the unusual full covers exist is due to this club and its members, as well as Servicemen keeping matches from various bases they served time at...

Kevin

Hi Kevin, that's interesting I don't recall having any matchcovers that mention the matchcovers collectors club.

Cheers ( Ken )

Hi Rob, again thanks another bunch that I have not seen, most of them have some great imagery on them,

also I like the mention of restaurants and such, wonder how many of these survived the war period and continued into postwar activity.

If I lived in the area's of some of the restaurant addresses I would want go see what was where the restaurants had been during the war.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Kevin, that's interesting I don't recall having any matchcovers that mention the matchcovers collectors club.

Cheers ( Ken )

Hi Ken,

I seem to have quite a few of them, just picked 3 at random, nice war-time pin-up covers with Matchonian details inside....... although they seem to be only covers with matches removed, maybe the Matchonian bit is stamped in later, I did some research some months ago and found they were set up well before the start of WW2....

Anyway, Tuesday night is Pub night and I can hear the bar maid a calling.........

Kevin

post-2662-1256676124.jpg

post-2662-1256676141.jpg

Great pics. Prompts me to take some pics of mine to add to the great posts youve made. The artwork on some of them is fantastic. I imagine the Alskan Defense Force is a rare bird. A great variety in your collection as well.

Cheers, Jim

Cheers ( Lewis )

Cheers ( Ken )

Ken,

I can go to the site of the HOY YUEN CHINESE RESTAURANT in New York City one of these days. I will take a photo of the building and post it, it would be interesting to see what is there today.

Rob

Great pics. Prompts me to take some pics of mine to add to the great posts youve made. The artwork on some of them is fantastic. I imagine the Alskan Defense Force is a rare bird. A great variety in your collection as well.

Cheers, Jim

Thanks Jim, I would like to see the ones you have in your collection, please go ahead and post them. I will get some more from this collection posted when I get a chance.

Rob

General Apathy

post-344-1256716810.jpg

Thanks Jim, I would like to see the ones you have in your collection, please go ahead and post them.

Rob

Hi Rob, you offered for Jim to post some of his matchbook, this is an image I already have on my computer so I will add to your post if you don't mind.

Cheers ( Lewis )

post-344-1256716810.jpg

Hi Rob, you offered for Jim to post some of his matchbook, this is an image I already have on my computer so I will add to your post if you don't mind.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Ken,

Please forgive me, I thought all your matchbooks were packed away & did not realize you had any images available.

Those are some very nice matchbooks in outstanding condition. Out of the 17 you posted, the collection I have contains only 4 of them. I found the "UNITED WE STAND" matchbook to be interesting, the same slogan was used again in recent years. I have one of the "EASY TO PICK UP" matchbooks with a slight variation, the background is in blue.

Thanks for posting!

Rob