Matchbook collection

Fixbayonets!

vostoktrading

These are really great matchbooks! Thanks for sharing them. There seem to be endless amounts of them! I've been picking up the patriotic ones as well as the Navy ship ones for some time, just havn't gotten around to organizing them yet. WW2 matchbooks seem to me to be a "sleeper" collectible, something that is still fairly inexpensive to obtain (if you're patient), not too many people are into it yet, and the potential is great both in variety and potential increase in value. They are also easy to stow away, just the thing if you live in a small apartment (or flat, as our cousins would say). In short, the cost is small in relation to the collectible pleasure they provide.

These are really great matchbooks! Thanks for sharing them. There seem to be endless amounts of them! I've been picking up the patriotic ones as well as the Navy ship ones for some time, just havn't gotten around to organizing them yet. WW2 matchbooks seem to me to be a "sleeper" collectible, something that is still fairly inexpensive to obtain (if you're patient), not too many people are into it yet, and the potential is great both in variety and potential increase in value. They are also easy to stow away, just the thing if you live in a small apartment (or flat, as our cousins would say). In short, the cost is small in relation to the collectible pleasure they provide.

Thanks, I am glad you like them. I was never looking to collect matchbooks until I came across this collection. After looking through the book a few times I really started to appreciate them and had to buy it. I agree with you that it is a "sleeper" collectible and I think they would make a great sub catagory to anybodies militaria collection.

Rob

I thought Id keep this post going with a few of my favorites. These are what the matchbook collectors call Billboards (matchbooks that hold 30 - 40 matches rather than the regular size of 20). Jim

post-1908-1257986986.jpg

post-1908-1257987002.jpg

Many have messages inside such as Buy Bonds, Loose Lips Sink Ships or Conserve Materials. This matchbook however has the neatest inside I have seen ... its a postcard. :thumbsup: The B-17 grabbed my attention first but the inside makes it a classic. Dont mail the matches.

post-1908-1257987271.jpg

post-1908-1257987283.jpg

collectsmedals

Here is a set of matchbooks I put together. There is one here from every Battleship that was at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

post-294-1258140661.jpg

Here is a set of matchbooks I put together. There is one here from every Battleship that was at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

A nice focused collection of matchbooks & a very impressive display. I would imagine the Arizona & the Oklahoma were tough ones to find.

Rob

• 3 months later...