Matchbook collection

Fixbayonets!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
"KEEP EM' FLYING"

They used this same design on pencil sharpeners that were made of catalin plastic. I sold one several years back (before I started keeping homefront items) for around $90.

Hi Rob, again another interesting lot of covers, I think I have only ever seen one from this second lot before.

I think someone else started a post on covers about two years ago and I think I added some of mine into that one if I recall.

Keep posting, still interested in seeing more. :thumbsup:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis,

I have a theory as to why you have only seen one out of all the matchbooks posted so far. If you notice the condition of these matchbooks, some are scuffed and dirty. I believe that a good number of them were collected by picking up discarded matchbooks off the street. This would explain why some look like they were stepped on, run over, etc. I would think that many WWII period matchbooks on the market today came from old unused stocks & are still complete with matches. I know I have seen full boxes of hundreds of the same matchbooks. Could it be that the used and discarded matchbooks did not survive in the same numbers as the old stock unused matchbooks? Like I said, just a theory.

I will try to get some more matchbooks posted tonight.

Rob

General Apathy
Lewis,

I have a theory as to why you have only seen one out of all the matchbooks posted so far. If you notice the condition of these matchbooks, some are scuffed and dirty. I believe that a good number of them were collected by picking up discarded matchbooks off the street. This would explain why some look like they were stepped on, run over, etc. I would think that many WWII period matchbooks on the market today came from old unused stocks & are still complete with matches. I know I have seen full boxes of hundreds of the same matchbooks. Could it be that the used and discarded matchbooks did not survive in the same numbers as the old stock unused matchbooks? Like I said, just a theory.

I will try to get some more matchbooks posted tonight.

Rob

Hi Rob, I can go along with your theory, it's a good point. As you state lots of match covers are in pretty reasonable condition and still have the matches in there.

Over the years I have bought lots of the match covers and only two collections were withouth matches, the one appears as you said in a folder opened flat with matches, and a little scuffed, these were anything and everything in design, a second collection I bought was again laid out flat without matches, a little scuffed but all 200 were scantily clad women. :lol:

Most of my collection are all still intact with matches, just don't know in which shipping carton they are stored at present, when I moved house here two years ago things got a little jumbled.

Look forward to your next bunch. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Very interesting. I'd like to see more, too. I like the Santa firing the cannon. Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas! BOOM! No political correctness back then.

Pete

Very interesting. I'd like to see more, too. I like the Santa firing the cannon. Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas! BOOM! No political correctness back then.

Pete

Pete,

Funny you picked Santa out, it's one of my favorites.

Rob

Hi Rob, I can go along with your theory, it's a good point. As you state lots of match covers are in pretty reasonable condition and still have the matches in there.

Over the years I have bought lots of the match covers and only two collections were withouth matches, the one appears as you said in a folder opened flat with matches, and a little scuffed, these were anything and everything in design, a second collection I bought was again laid out flat without matches, a little scuffed but all 200 were scantily clad women. :lol:

Most of my collection are all still intact with matches, just don't know in which shipping carton they are stored at present, when I moved house here two years ago things got a little jumbled.

Look forward to your next bunch. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Okay Lewis, here is another batch of matchbook covers for you. There are some interesting ones in this lot. Enjoy.

Rob

"HEADQUARTERS RESTAURANT" (WITH SHAEF INSIGNIA)

post-168-1256598665.jpg