Cold War Mystery Plane: What am I?

Wailuna

Cobrahistorian
This one should be easy - on display at National Museum of the United States Air Force in Ohio, the other crashed

Yes, but where is the third? ;)

Cobrahistorian

I love the XP-67. I know it isn't a cold war aircraft, but it is one of the coolest oddball airplanes out there.

As for the third XB-70, there's a rumor (and fuzzy photo) that it was actually completed as a high-speed reconnaissance platform and was flown operationally under the code name "BLACKSTAR". Of course, this comes primarily from "Aviation Leak and Space Technology" magazine, so we're uncertain how much truth there is to it. Still, a very cool concept.

teufelhunde.ret
As for the third XB-70, there's a rumor (and fuzzy photo) that it was actually completed as a high-speed reconnaissance platform and was flown operationally under the code name "BLACKSTAR". Of course, this comes primarily from "Aviation Leak and Space Technology" magazine, so we're uncertain how much truth there is to it. Still, a very cool concept.

The rest of the story... http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/sto...ws/030606p1.xml

Post #28 Martin XB-48

#33 Douglas XB-43 (XB-42 with inline piston Allison engines replaced by J-35 jets)

#36 Hughes rainbow -- a recce bird and I don't recall the numerical designation

#38 North American RB-45 (camera nose) -- these actually served, in Korean War even

Many of these designs fell by the wayside because they were underpowered and/or gas hogs with the early jet engines, and/or because they neglected to feature SWEPT wings. The Boeing B-47 beat them out -- and it was a quantum leap in technology at teh time: a high risk design. Keep in mind many of its design elemetns were FIGHTER stuff.

Good I.D. on the Hughes Rainbow. that is a hard one. I can always get the guys in my squadron with that one! I used to do the Recce classes and I would always throw some of these cold war aircraft into the slides for fun.

r/Gy Dan

Cobrahistorian
Good I.D. on the Hughes Rainbow. that is a hard one. I can always get the guys in my squadron with that one! I used to do the Recce classes and I would always throw some of these cold war aircraft into the slides for fun.

r/Gy Dan

Close, but no cigar. Hughes built the XF-11, not the Rainbow!

That's the REPUBLIC XF-12 Rainbow. The first true "triple four" bird: 400mph at 40,000ft for 4000miles. Really an incredible airplane that was outpaced by the evolution of jet airplanes.

Funny you mention tossing in cold war birds in your classes. My favorite is doing threat ID and tossing an F-14 in there. Friend or foe? 99% of people say "friend!". They're WRONG. There's only one nation operating the F-14 nowadays and they aren't very friendly to the US!

Jon

Listen here Apache Driver!

That's easy.....Bell XP-83. It was the follow to the Bell P-59 Airacomet. C'mon man you gotta make'em harder. :thumbsup:

He he...try this one, I will see your 50's fighter and raise you one:

post-7766-1256738660.jpg

post-7766-1256738672.jpg

Oh, and good one on the XF-12......dang had that one goofed up. Forgot about the "Republic" build.

Oh and Iran.....is the other answer....but I hardly think any of them are operational.....anymore

Cobrahistorian
Here's a strange one:

That's a Helen, aint it? EDIT: Nope, that's a G8N "Rita". Had to look it up, but I knew it was Japanese!

As for the experimental Sabre, you could go with one of two designations, as you could with the F-86D (originally called the F-96). That is the XF-86C or the XF-93 depending on what you prefer!

Was that one supposed to be hard? ;)

Jon