1940s Gas Mask Help

DiGilio

I found this gas mask at a garage sale a while ago. I want to sell it but I dont really know enough about it. I tried searching and it looks like M3 or M4 but Im not sure which. Can someone tell me what it is and how much I could sell it for?

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

This is a stamp that is on the black rubber circle which is tied to the filter with rope.

IMG_4774.jpg

Check out the web page below:

< Gas Mask Web Page >

Your mask looks like it matches up with either the US Army M3-10A1-6 Lightweight Service Gas Mask or US Army M4-10A1-6 Lightweight Service Gas Mask.

Nice find! :thumbsup:

Doc

Just a bit of information on the M3-10A1 and M4-10A1 Lightweight Service Gas Masks:

The M3 series was intended to replace the older M2 series masks and began service in 1942. During 1943-44 time frame, the production of the M3 Mask was inadequate to meet the needs of the Army so the older M2 masks were pulled out of storage and converted to the M3 standard. The M3 was the first mask to incorporate an internal face cup which has been a standard in every mask since. The M2 had a 27" hose attached to an M10 filter cannister. The cannister was replaced with the shorter M10-A1 filter cannister, and the hose was shortened from 27" to 18" as in the M3 Mask. It was found that two of the remaining 9" sections from two of the shortened 27" hoses could be revulcanized into a third 18" hose, resulting in no wasteage of the rubber hose material... three 18" hoses from every two 27" hoses from the M2. Once the conversion of the M2 to M3 standards was complete, the new mask was designated Lightweight Service Gas Mask, M4.

Recently I obtained a mint, sealed in box M3-10A1 mask on Ebay for $60 (see my post elsewhere in the New Aquisitions section), while used M4 masks were going for $130 and up. Maybe I just got lucky no one else bid on that M3, but the M4 masks are typically getting from $120-$150 and up on Ebay. I'm attaching a photo of my M3-10A1 for comparison. As stated, I too believe yours to be an M4-10A1, judging from the different face blank, and the shorter hose and cannister and especially, the 1941 date. Also of note, the circular black cap and clamp attatched to the filter are from the M1 Mask waterproofing kit.

Hope this helps...

Wayne

post-3743-1256751203.jpg

• 1 year later...
JosephRushlau
Check out the web page below:

< Gas Mask Web Page >

Your mask looks like it matches up with either the US Army M3-10A1-6 Lightweight Service Gas Mask or US Army M4-10A1-6 Lightweight Service Gas Mask.

Nice find! :thumbsup:

Doc

It is in fact an United Stated Army M4-10A1-6 Lightweight Service Gas Mask

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.