First Marine Division Patch on blue twill

howardl

I got a First Marine Division uniform, which looks fine. The patch, however, is very different from other ones I have on and off coats. It is machine embroidered on blue twill. Is this an original period variety or a more modern one added to the uniform?

Thanks,

HOWARD LANHAM

post-8019-1256416992.jpg

Your patch is nice example of a US made twill patch from that era.

Original WW2 Marine patches, I think more than any other branch of the service, can be found constructed from a wide variety of materials, including standard fully embroidered on twill, partially embroidered on twill - like your example, fully embroidered on felt and partially embroidered on felt. There were also theatre-made patches like the Australian bevo-like patches made by J.J. Cash Co. in Queensland Australia.

Here's a good link to check out.

1st Marine Division

Your patch is nice example of a US made twill patch from that era.

Original WW2 Marine patches, I think more than any other branch of the service, can be found constructed from a wide variety of materials, including standard fully embroidered on twill, partially embroidered on twill - like your example, fully embroidered on felt and partially embroidered on felt. There were also theatre-made patches like the Australian bevo-like patches made by J.J. Cash Co. in Queensland Australia.

Here's a good link to check out.

1st Marine Division

Thank you very much.

HOWARD LANHAM