Modified BDU? Seal?

anelles

I posted this over in Latest Finds, but figured I would be more likely to find more info on it here

I paid $3 for this as a thrift store near Naval Station Great Lakes, I suppose I really paid $2, as I found a $1 bill (2003 dated) in the pocket when i got home. The lower pockets have been moved up, the uppers are now on the arm, velcro added. Also, not pictured, is a velcro square below the back collar for an IR tab. The velcro above the name tape seems to be Trident sized. The BDU is made by Propper, with the white propper tag cut off.

I've never seen grade insignia with a merrowed edge before, just the standard type like found on Army or AF bdu's, is this common on Navy items?

Thoughts? Seal? Corpsman? Other Navy personnel who wanted a modded bdu?

I had had found this elsewhere, or for a higher price, I'd be more skeptical, but for $2, can't go wrong.

bdumd1.JPG

bdumd3.JPG

bdumd2.JPG

Pretty sure it's a SEAL modified jacket. I find these all the time here around Little Creek Amphib Base. I never see the modified ones with a rate on them though. For $3.00 you can't go wrong.

It is SEAL BDU. I've seen SEAL DCU with same size of velcro above name tapes. Like MattD said, it's for Trident patch.

Very nice find.

Good to hear it's SEAL. Given the price, and location, it's gotta be legit.

I still find the collar grade to be odd, but I've seen stranger. Thanks!

Looks like a SEAL mod. I did virtually the same things to my own ERDLs. I removed the lower pockets from my shirt and sewed them to my Levis and my other ERDL shirts. I was able to tuck in the shirt. The modifications worked very well. We did not have velcro then and we did not wear any dog tags or other Identifying marks on our uniforms in country. It was quite some time before we had to wear collar insignia on our Pickle suits. No camo uniforms had rank or unit insignia. Labels and manufactures ID were also removed.