Bancroft hat question

renfield

Well I certainly will recount what I know. Facts and figures I know little of though as I said I will call my cousin and see what he can share. For the record my name is Mike Goldman. Hyman the founder was my great grandfather. When you see the names on the patents I can tell you I knew those people. They were my grand uncles and cousins.

I'd say that was a cap he acquired after his return and somewhere along the way his cadet insignia was affixed to it, but it is not a cadet cap as it doesn't have the blue cap band.

The blue cap band was often a removable piece that simply buttoned onto a regulation cap. In fact, I've never seen a cap constructed with an integral blue band, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It makes sense though that during wartime they wouldn't manufacture a special cap that could only be worn for a short period of time.

The blue cap band was often a removable piece that simply buttoned onto a regulation cap. In fact, I've never seen a cap constructed with an integral blue band, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It makes sense though that during wartime they wouldn't manufacture a special cap that could only be worn for a short period of time.

I agree that they were removable, but for the insignia to make sense on that visor, it should have a blue band. Here's one I have, there is no officer's mohair band under it, just the cap fabric:

post-32676-0-81194500-1466034887.jpg

post-32676-0-53314700-1466035290.jpg

SocietyBrandHatCo

Well I certainly will recount what I know. Facts and figures I know little of though as I said I will call my cousin and see what he can share. For the record my name is Mike Goldman. Hyman the founder was my great grandfather. When you see the names on the patents I can tell you I knew those people. They were my grand uncles and cousins.

Mike, glad to meet your acquaintance. I look forward to reading your future posts about Bancroft.

SocietyBrandHatCo

I agree that they were removable, but for the insignia to make sense on that visor, it should have a blue band. Here's one I have, there is no officer's mohair band under it, just the cap fabric:

Matt, who was the maker of that cap?

Matt, who was the maker of that cap?

Unknown, there was a 'home-plate' shaped sweatshield at one time, but it is long gone leaving only the outline.

Mike, thanks for contributing and welcome aboard!

AAF_Collection

Unknown, there was a 'home-plate' shaped sweatshield at one time, but it is long gone leaving only the outline.

Mike, thanks for contributing and welcome aboard!

Matt, I've done some research into Aviation Cadet uniforms and there was in fact a cap produced under contract specifically for cadets. Is the lining of yours a bronze/rust colored satin like fabric? and have you looked under the sweatband? the contract info is often stamped under it.

Matt.

On most navy caps, the side buttons unscrew allowing for removal of the strap and the top. It can then be laundered. A washcloth dampened with warm water should wipe up the visor.

I have numerous Bancroft caps. This is my latest, a 1958 army field grade (major and above) dress cap. I believe this was a cap contracted by the government to be sold in PXs to officers, hence the lack of Bancroft label on the lining.

attachicon.gif1958 Bancroft field grade trim.jpg

attachicon.gif1958 Bancroft field grade 2 trim.jpg

attachicon.gif1958 Bancroft field grade 4 trim.jpg

There's probably a lot of hats like this but here's one with Bancroft all around the top edge of the sweatband.

post-108826-0-91850700-1466126803.jpg

post-108826-0-83677100-1466126815.jpg

Picked up a large grouping the other day and while we were discussing the grouping the guy said "Here, I'll throw these covers in also". Wasn't real excited about a bag of covers but opened it up today and looks like they're replacement covers? Cool! About 20 of them. The blue and white tag is Bancroft (for 50 years).

post-108826-0-33455100-1466127462.jpg

SocietyBrandHatCo

Matt, I've done some research into Aviation Cadet uniforms and there was in fact a cap produced under contract specifically for cadets. Is the lining of yours a bronze/rust colored satin like fabric? and have you looked under the sweatband? the contract info is often stamped under it.

Matt.

I used to have one. It was made without the braid. It just looked like an enlisted cap made from OD 51 elastique.

SocietyBrandHatCo

Picked up a large grouping the other day and while we were discussing the grouping the guy said "Here, I'll throw these covers in also". Wasn't real excited about a bag of covers but opened it up today and looks like they're replacement covers? Cool! About 20 of them. The blue and white tag is Bancroft (for 50 years).

If you decide to get rid of any of those let me know. I may be in the market.

There's probably a lot of hats like this but here's one with Bancroft all around the top edge of the sweatband.

Nice pick up! I think I have one like that, a 1960s USAF cap.

I see a few guys wearing wings already. I wonder if they were enlisted men wearing authorized gunners (authorized on April 29, 1943) or aircrew wings that got selected for bombardier training?

• 4 years later...

Any Bancroft experts still out there?

I'm trying to date this beret.

It says "50 Years" not "Over 50 Years"

It is made in France, Basque Beret......

Any help greatly appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Jan 9, 2021

12:03am

PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY

INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241

Jan 6, 2021

8:50pm

ARRIVE USPS FACILITY

KEARNY, NJ 07032

Jan 6, 2021

2:02pm

PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY

INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241

Jan 6, 2021

3:17am

DEPART USPS FACILITY

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

I live in NJ. No wonder the SAR beret is late arriving.

It looks like the post office does this stuff on purpose!🤪